Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
The ocular lens needs to be 2.7" above the bore and forward of the charging handle. They make several mounts that do this and do it right for a lot less than an extended latch that will dig into everything it can find.

This is a LaRue mount but its how a scope should be mounted.
[Linked Image]

Works well that way. But as I"ve noted you can get by with ex high rings too. May not work for all positions but there are a few ARs I have that I'll likely never shoot from positions that requrie the extra eye relief.

So both ways work. Yours is by far more versatile. But I"ve had rings only and a 2.5x8 leupold on a 50 beowulf upper since about 2002 or 2003 and never had any issues with the setup.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The scope does not have to be forward of the charging handle. I have large hands and can still charge the rifle just fine. That is retarded unless you have an extended eye relief scope. Othewise you have to shorten your LOP or lean way forward.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Retarded?

You don't know what you don't know.

After running nearly every setup you can imagine and watching others do the same, it's clear which way works and which way is a compromise. But by all means do as you wish.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
don't listen to all the super low comments. and even the picture of that over priced larue mount. those are too low of mounts. also using regular rifle rings no matter how high they are isn't a way to go either. the AR platform has a couple issues first it wasn't designed to have optics from the ground up the second is in most cases the rifles have too short of LOP, way to short. for years I hated the AR platform because I never got the right setup of optics and LOP. a commercial butt stock solved my LOP issues. but everyone thinks mil spec is always has to be better. no so. the next is the scope mounting. 2 things you need, you need the scope high enough and forward enough. the only solution a cantilever mount. there are several out there that haven't been on the market all that long, in the past larue was one of the few that made one. but burris makes one, nikon and even RRA have inexpensive cantilever mounts out there.

concentrate on a setup that brings the scope in view when you throw the gun up to your shoulder. forget about cheek weld and the scope being as low as possible. just get a comfortable setup that gives the proper view through the scope and accomplishes it quickly and comfortably.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well I don't know about the LaRue being too low as its 1.5" above the flat top, which is higher than the irons BTW but here's a good reference for all things considered.
http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/one_piece/ar15_onepiece_mounts.htm

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
don't listen to all the super low comments. and even the picture of that over priced larue mount. those are too low of mounts. also using regular rifle rings no matter how high they are isn't a way to go either. the AR platform has a couple issues first it wasn't designed to have optics from the ground up the second is in most cases the rifles have too short of LOP, way to short. for years I hated the AR platform because I never got the right setup of optics and LOP. a commercial butt stock solved my LOP issues. but everyone thinks mil spec is always has to be better. no so. the next is the scope mounting. 2 things you need, you need the scope high enough and forward enough. the only solution a cantilever mount. there are several out there that haven't been on the market all that long, in the past larue was one of the few that made one. but burris makes one, nikon and even RRA have inexpensive cantilever mounts out there.

concentrate on a setup that brings the scope in view when you throw the gun up to your shoulder. forget about cheek weld and the scope being as low as possible. just get a comfortable setup that gives the proper view through the scope and accomplishes it quickly and comfortably.

Exactly what my set-up does for me.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Well I got a few pics here and it appears that even this long bulky heavy scope would work just fine.
I could take it forward even more ifn I wanted to.
Eye relief is good if I pull my face back toward the butt or good if I push my face forward.
I suppose people are different but i get a perfect cheekweld when rifle is snapped up to my shoulder.
[Linked Image][Linked Image][URL=http://s863.photo
When I get the 3-9 swapped out with one of my 4x Compacts (on another rifle right now)it will look a lot better and be lighter as well.
Maybe i just got lucky but I cant imagine a better eye positioning !
And without having to use anything but rings and scope.
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bcraig
Well I got a few pics here and it appears that even this long bulky heavy scope would work just fine.
I could take it forward even more ifn I wanted to.
Eye relief is good if I pull my face back toward the butt or good if I push my face forward.
I suppose people are different but i get a perfect cheekweld when rifle is snapped up to my shoulder.
[Linked Image][Linked Image][URL=http://s863.photo
When I get the 3-9 swapped out with one of my 4x Compacts (on another rifle right now)it will look a lot better and be lighter as well.
Maybe i just got lucky but I cant imagine a better eye positioning !
And without having to use anything but rings and scope.
Craig

for me that scope is way way too low, when I bring the gun up I would actually be looking over the top of the scope. could I shoot the gun, yeah but I would have to cram my face into the stock. too much stock is placed in getting a scope as low as possible. rather more emphasis should be placed on what is comfortable. in this case I think many people would find medium to higher rings or mounting more comfortable.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
CC, how do the irons line up for you?

Just asking cause the LaRue sits 2.7" above bore or 1.5" above the flat top (center of rings) which is the same as the irons or just a tad higher. And yes I know the LaRue is expensive but even the cheap B-square mount, Model 1 sales, RR, PEPR and a whole bunch more of them are the same.

As for the scope pictured above, Leupold advises against mounting the ring that close to the power ring. You could move that ring forward but that doesn't offer much support for the scope. That's why I reccomend a cantilever mount.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Well I supp0se that Leupold knows what they are doing but I have been mounting scopes in rings for 40 years and have never had a problem as long as it wasn,t so close that the Power ring was touching the ring,or too tight (farmer tight).
Also If I wanted to I can move the ring forward a little(or the scope back a little) and have more than enough support for the scope ,I dont plan on wrapping a rope around the scope to drag out a deer !
Now when I take it off and put the 4x I am talking about on it it is going to be perfect.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
As long as it suits you that's all that matters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
no irons for me, I am not facing off against insurgents if a problem occurs with my scope I just switch rifles.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Okay....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

204 members (1shotnokilz, 325wsm1, 160user, 30incher, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 16,880 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,231
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.