Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In CO, the regs say you have to immediately detach your tag from the license, punch the date and sex, and sign it. But you can keep it in your wallet while you're field dressing and packing it back to camp or your vehicle so you don't lose it. Not many know that. Once you get it to camp or vehicle, then the tag has to be attached.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep Smokepole. That is the reg. Also, if you leave the animal in the field ( maybe to go get a pack or a pack animal) ,you must tag it, but tag may be removed once you begin to transport it back to camp or pickup or?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yup.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Oregon It gets more complicated when transfering a piece of the animal to another person. Say I want to give a hunting partner a hind quarter. It must have proof of sex attached. I also need proof transporting my portion home. He heads out with transfer letter signed by me and hind quarter with balls hanging. I head home with antlers attached to one front shoulder to meet the requirement. Since I do not want to pack a complete head out, I leave a jaw tendon attached to skull cap, the jaw tendon also connects to shoulder down the neck. It gets more complicated when you transfer to 3 people headed out in 3 rigs, in 3 different directions.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Yep Smokepole. That is the reg. Also, if you leave the animal in the field ( maybe to go get a pack or a pack animal) ,you must tag it, but tag may be removed once you begin to transport it back to camp or pickup or?

I used to do that, but what happen to my buddy stopped me from doing it anymore.

My bud shot an elk, and did just what you said. When he got back to the animal three hunters were skinning the elk. He claimed it was his elk, and had tagged it. They laughed at him, and said they had shot the elk. Of course my buds tag was nowhere to be found. Being three against one. He didn't push the issue.

From then on I started to skin the elk out, tag it, and take the backstraps back to me Jeep. If someone tries to claim my elk. I'll call a warden, and show I have the backstraps. Thieves are busted.

An added bonus is if a bear gets the elk. At least I have the backstraps.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I
n Oregon It gets more complicated when transfering a piece of the animal to another person. Say I want to give a hunting partner a hind quarter. It must have proof of sex attached.

I will have to re-read my regs I guess, I have been hunting in Oregon since the 50's and have always used a transfer note. Nothing that I have read requires a note and proof of sex. The shooter should keep the proof of sex and everyone else gets a note. That seems to work in Wyoming as well as Idaho. When my elk hits the ground I take a picture, I also pack the horns/eyes on the first trip out. That way there is no discussion. If you can't take them all the way out get it away from the meat.

Last edited by Elkmen; 04/25/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm an old, contrarian cuss anymore, so I read the ID regs literally. It states that I have to leave the evidence attached to the largest portion of the carcass. It also says I have to recover all the meat but not the skin, bones, etc. Well, I always bone out using the gutless method (and I AM METICULOUS about recovering the meat!!!)

Ergo, I leave the evidence of sex attached to the carcass, and leave the carcass in the field. I'll probably end up arguing it before a judge some day, but so be it. I'll take a F'n picture of the critter and the boned out meat next time to be sure to have a little more evidence.

Of course, the fish cops are not interested in doing the right thing, just writing tickets. So be it...

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's a good way to get your meat confiscated. Leaving it in the field hardly qualifies as the place of final storage. It's your money, though, so you can play the game any way you like.

Deer, elk and pronghorn:
If the head or antlers are removed,
evidence of sex in the form of testicles, penis, scrotum, udder
or vulva must remain naturally attached to the carcass or parts
thereof on all harvested big game animals until they reach the
final place of storage or personal consumption, or a commercial
meat processing facility.

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 05/07/13.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Dutch
I'm an old, contrarian cuss anymore, so I read the ID regs literally. It states that I have to leave the evidence attached to the largest portion of the carcass. It also says I have to recover all the meat but not the skin, bones, etc. Well, I always bone out using the gutless method (and I AM METICULOUS about recovering the meat!!!)

Ergo, I leave the evidence of sex attached to the carcass, and leave the carcass in the field. I'll probably end up arguing it before a judge some day, but so be it. I'll take a F'n picture of the critter and the boned out meat next time to be sure to have a little more evidence.

Of course, the fish cops are not interested in doing the right thing, just writing tickets. So be it...

That's a ticket for sure. How do you prove you didn't use the tag for more than one animal?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

I used to do that, but what happen to my buddy stopped me from doing it anymore.

My bud shot an elk, and did just what you said. When he got back to the animal three hunters were skinning the elk. He claimed it was his elk, and had tagged it. They laughed at him, and said they had shot the elk. Of course my buds tag was nowhere to be found. Being three against one. He didn't push the issue.

From then on I started to skin the elk out, tag it, and take the backstraps back to me Jeep. If someone tries to claim my elk. I'll call a warden, and show I have the backstraps. Thieves are busted.

I take wyoming saw with me and if I don't have time to start skinning etc I'll cut the horns off and take with me. I leave tag attached an ear.

Last edited by roper; 05/10/13.

USMC
Life Member VFW
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by roper
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

I take wyoming saw with me and if I don't have time to start skinning etc I'll cut the horns off and take with me. I leave tag attached an ear.

I would stuff the tag in a cartridge case and stick it in the ear or under the hide somewhere if I had to leave the carcass in the field.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I was told that you do it just like you would if you gave someone some meat for helping you pack or fish you might not want..A note with your hunting licence/tag numbers and a brief explanation.

If I had game down and had to leave it or part of it,I would leave the note with my numbers,both hunting and tag and the explanation I am in the process of packing it out and keep the tag with me....

Never had to do it but that's what I would do..Idaho has it written in the regs somewhere on giving game away and what to do...

Jayco

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
wolves don,t read the reges least as???

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by logcutter
I was told that you do it just like you would if you gave someone some meat for helping you pack or fish you might not want..A note with your hunting licence/tag numbers and a brief explanation.

If I had game down and had to leave it or part of it,I would leave the note with my numbers,both hunting and tag and the explanation I am in the process of packing it out and keep the tag with me....

Never had to do it but that's what I would do..Idaho has it written in the regs somewhere on giving game away and what to do...

Jayco
You aren't giving them enough info. There's a form on pg 90 of this year's regs. You don't need the form but you do need all the info. I read that not having a properly completed proxy statement (whether using the form or not) is one of the most common violations written in Idaho. The form is quite simple to fill out & it only takes a minute to do.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 49 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.