-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the regs say "until you start to process the meat" or some such, then bone the elk out, that is processing.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
If the regs say "until you start to process the meat" or some such, then bone the elk out, that is processing.
Wouldn't work in Idaho:

....must remain naturally attached to the carcass or parts
thereof on all harvested big game animals until they reach the
final place of storage or personal consumption, or a commercial
meat processing facility

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
On the last bull I shot, we backpacked out quarters bone in and hide on. I left the tip of the penis attached to a quarter which worked fine at the game check station. The only thing the nice FWP lady commented on was my attaching the tag to the rack. According to her, that's okay when they come out whole, but when in pieces, they want the tag attached to the largest piece. She cut my tag off and re-attached it to a hind quarter and told me that is how they want it done.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Our proof in Texas is similar. Most wardens don't even really know what the regs say, as everyone tags the antlers and then cuts the head off...

I had one get his ticket book out already years ago. I had the tag zip tied to a hindquarter in a cooler and the head in our freezer without tag.

I had to get the TPW book out and read it to him, it is a CARCASS tag, not a head tag. Once head is severed it stays with carcass.

Luckily we don't have to leave anything attached, but when I've been in that situation I carry ziplocs as another poster noted... leave whatever in place and cover most with ziploc. I even go a hair further and run a long zip tie over the bagged/attached parts, poked through the hindquarter to make sure the tissue may not separate in the backpack etc

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wyotradhunter
Wyoming no longer requires evidence of sex to be attached. So if it is an either sex tag you don't need it but if you have a tag that does require it you just cut off a little through it in a zip lock sandwich bag and you are good to go! Make things a lot easier when you are boning out a critter. A few years ago the Local warden in my town busted some Utah guys that had shot two bulls and a cow but only had one bull tag and two cow tags. They had left the head on the cow cut the head of one of the bulls and sewn the cows utter on the bull with fishing line.

Uh..... Care to show me that in writing?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't got the regs in front of me right now, but he's right, Wyoming law no longer requires evidence of sex be naturally attatched. I quized a warden about it last fall before my moose hunt and he told me to either carry out the antlers or the testicles, no need for them to be attatched. He explained that leaving them attactched is no longer necessary becuase all thier cases involving the sex of the animal use DNA evidence in court.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That's why I want to see it in writing. The latest regs I looked at still say "attached to edible portion."

Guess my google was bringing up old versions. Latest on G/F page says accompany and not attached..

Last edited by wyoelk; 04/16/13.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've never understood much of it. I don't know anyone that shoots a buck/bull by verifying it has a nutsack, yet often horns ain't proof.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah you can keep hauling the same head and rack back and fourth to the bush many times before it rots on you.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGray
On the last bull I shot, we backpacked out quarters bone in and hide on. I left the tip of the penis attached to a quarter which worked fine at the game check station. The only thing the nice FWP lady commented on was my attaching the tag to the rack. According to her, that's okay when they come out whole, but when in pieces, they want the tag attached to the largest piece. She cut my tag off and re-attached it to a hind quarter and told me that is how they want it done.
If it ended up in court, they'd have a hard time proving that the tag wasn't on the largest piece. How do they measure 'largest'? If its by weight, a hind quarter would win. It it's by length, the antlers would win. Just saying largest doesn't describe it.

― George Orwell

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Honest warden....A bear ate the sex evidence I had hanging in a tree.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I basically leave the "boy parts" attached to a 6-8 inch circle of hide, then skin that back so I can get a plastic bag around it, then tape that tight. Mostly keeps the hair off and meets the law 'cause it is attached.

That's exactly what I've done to meet the "evidence of sex attached" requirement.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If it ended up in court, they'd have a hard time proving that the tag wasn't on the largest piece. How do they measure 'largest'? If its by weight, a hind quarter would win. It it's by length, the antlers would win. Just saying largest doesn't describe it.

It's a carcass tag, not an antler tag, at least in CO. To make it easier on yourself and the WCO,attach the tag to the piece of carcass that has the evidence of sex on.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
"To make it easier on yourself and the WCO,attach the tag to the piece of carcass that has the evidence of sex on." ----My routine practice, and I have passed through a lot of check stations with no issues in this regard. CP.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ranger1
Off subject a bit but, can anyone explain to me why MT requires evidence of sex on an either sex tag?

Probably has to do with antler point restrictions, so if you have a bull, you need the horns to to show it was a legal bull. At least that's how it is here in CO.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've never understood much of it. I don't know anyone that shoots a buck/bull by verifying it has a nutsack, yet often horns ain't proof.

They are in CO, as long as they're attached to a whole carcass.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The only thing the nice FWP lady commented on was my attaching the tag to the rack. According to her, that's okay when they come out whole, but when in pieces, they want the tag attached to the largest piece. She cut my tag off and re-attached it to a hind quarter and told me that is how they want it done.

It's a carcass tag, not an antler tag, at least in CO. To make it easier on yourself and the WCO,attach the tag to the piece of carcass that has the evidence of sex on.

Good point - hadn't thought of it that way and will do it differently next time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Canada also has the 6 point trophy hunt for elk in certain provinces. That is 6 points each side. The head must be with the body.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho regs just say that the tag must be attached to largest part of the carcass. They don't say how that part is determined to be the largest. And, yes, antlers are part of a carcass. While the term carcass is often used for an animal slaughtered for food and with the inedible parts removed, it's also commonly used for a whole dead animal. If the state doesn't define 'carcass', they'd have a hard time making stick a citation for a tag on antlers.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In Alberta, if the animal is quartered or otherwise butchered in the field, the tag must be attached to the same hind quarter that has the evidence of sex. You have to dig pretty far into the fine print to find that out, but it's there. And the tag is a sticky piece of tough paper around a metal clamp that's impossible to change from one quarter to the other if you forget and screw up.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho requires that the tag be attached immediately after the kill. That can only be interpreted to mean before you dress it. If the tag can't be switched to a different part, it might be very difficult to determine exactly what part will end up being the biggest. Idaho's tags are made of a plasticized paper that you attach with a thin wire. The paper is very tough stuff.

― George Orwell

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 3,389 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.