Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, I have the Conquest and a VX-2.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have a couple and think they are the best scope in their price range right now.

Yep! I just horse traded into one with the Z-Plex reticle, top notch!

It is much more clear than any leupold I have used. About the same as any night-force I've looked through.

They are not better than the new VX-2. I have both.
The conquest is better to my eyes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hclark
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Yup. The Terra scopes are made in Japan.

A GERMAN scope made in japan?? The world is coming to an end!!!!

I would be OK with a Japanese Zeiss, Japan has been making good sport optics for a long time.

I have two U.S. assembled Conquests and the power selection ring on the 2011 model feels a little bound or stiff, not smooth like my 2005 purchase.

I'm not needing a new scope anytime soon, but if I did I would want to compare the new Conquest HD and the Terra side by side.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Those that liked the Conquests would be wise to look at the Meopta MeoPro lineup. I promise you won't be disappointed. I have 2 of them in 3-9x42, and love them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have a couple and think they are the best scope in their price range right now.

Yep! I just horse traded into one with the Z-Plex reticle, top notch!

It is much more clear than any leupold I have used. About the same as any night-force I've looked through.

They are not better than the new VX-2. I have both.

I agree 100%, the newer Leupolds are pretty darn good. I compared my Conquest 3-9x40 to a new VX-2 at the range and there wasn't much difference in clarity or brightness. Now the older model Leupold VX-II, Vari-X II and even the Vari-X III, didnt have the best glass IMO. The biggest issue I have always had the with the conquest is having to mount em higher than most other scopes.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Alex38
Those that liked the Conquests would be wise to look at the Meopta MeoPro lineup. I promise you won't be disappointed. I have 2 of them in 3-9x42, and love them.

One of the things I really like about the Conquest is their Duplex reticle is perfect to me. I have not looked through a Meopro, but their web literature seems to have the wider portions of the reticle closing in on the center cross hair, not leaving much of a gap, is this an accurate impression?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My hunting partner and I have gone to the Conquest after many years of using Vari X IIIs. Comparing the two at dusk and later reveals how much light the Conquest brings to your eye. Hearing that the new VX2 may be equal has me interested now that the Conquest is no more. Just bought a Conquest here about a week ago, nice and bright and just missed buying another one that sold pretty fast. I will look at the new Leupie.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
People are lying to themselves if they think a VX2 is even close to a Zeiss.

The Meopro and Conquest are about identical in clarity etc, but once again...you cannot get an elevation turret on the Meopro. frown

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many of the NEW VX-2's have you tried out DC?

Comparing them side by side there isn't a dimes worth of difference between them.
At least to my eye and those of AC and Swampy among others.

The NEW VX-2's are darn impressive in the glass department and much lighter, better looking, and sleeker than the 3-9 Conquest.

Hell, my three NEW VX-2's are at least as good as my brand new 2.5-8x36 VX-3.

I'll not be buying more Conquests but you can bet I'll be buying more VX-2's. But ONLY the new production ones.

Last edited by nsaqam; 04/17/13.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And you have a wide selection of turret options to choose from with the VX-2. Not just one like the Conquest.

Not to mention the reasonably priced reticle choices available. Again unlike the BIG premium Zeiss charged for anything other than the 20 reticle.

Last edited by nsaqam; 04/17/13.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I see that Meopta just introduced a 3.5-10x44 in the line up also and it has slightly over 4 inches of eye relief. Maybe Meopta had some of the old Zeiss Conquest hardware for that one. Now this model has my attention. With or without illuminated reticles, one of which is a Z-Plex reticle.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by StrayDog

One of the things I really like about the Conquest is their Duplex reticle is perfect to me. I have not looked through a Meopro, but their web literature seems to have the wider portions of the reticle closing in on the center cross hair, not leaving much of a gap, is this an accurate impression?

Mine both have the BDC reticle, so I'm unable to give you a good assessment of the standard Duplex reticle. Sorry!!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Doug told me Terra scopes were Chicom. Perhaps he was mistaken. RIP Zeiss.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nsaqam
How many of the NEW VX-2's have you tried out DC?

Comparing them side by side there isn't a dimes worth of difference between them.
At least to my eye and those of AC and Swampy among others.

The NEW VX-2's are darn impressive in the glass department and much lighter, better looking, and sleeker than the 3-9 Conquest.

Hell, my three NEW VX-2's are at least as good as my brand new 2.5-8x36 VX-3.

I'll not be buying more Conquests but you can bet I'll be buying more VX-2's. But ONLY the new production ones.

I dunno, I have a new VX-2 (33mm), new VX-3 (36mm), and two NOS 32mm conquests, and while I really like the Leupy's (the prices can't be beat if you know where to buy) the Conquests have simply better glass and reticle to my tired eyes.
I went to the 32mms to save two ounces over the 40mm Conquest.
They are getting scarce now, especially around $350 or so. I lucked out and found two here basically new in box.

I also dig the eye relief on the Conquest, really forgiving for a staunch caliber.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
This is an uneducated opinion, but I suspect Leupold's fascination with being lightweight is a trade off in the inability to track correctly dept.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll grant the etched reticle in the Conquests is better and more defined than the Leupold reticle.
The glass, to me at least, is very comparable.
I will also grant that the ER of the 33mm VX-2 is short but the ER of the 40mm VX-2 is just about the equal of the 3-9 Conquest.

broomd, I'm not overly impressed with the vaunted 2.5-8x36 VX-3. Don't get me wrong they are great scopes but in the glass department they don't blow me away. no better to my eyes than the new VX-2 glass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The zeiss is definetly better to my eyes than the new vx2. I will say this though, I've been a zeiss guy for a long time. If the terra's are china made, I'll never own one. It will be leupold for me from now on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimone
Doug told me Terra scopes were Chicom. Perhaps he was mistaken. RIP Zeiss.

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for your inquiry to Carl Zeiss.

The new Terra line of rifle scopes will be assembled in Japan. These scopes are not contracted out to the lowest bidder. We gave them our specifications and tolerances, and they are building them to our specs, using our parts.

Hoping to be of service to you we kindly ask you to contact us again should you need further assistance.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXXXX

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you.

Best Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXX
Customer Care Representative
Carl Zeiss Sports Optics, LLC
711 Moorefield Park Drive, Building E
North Chesterfield, VA 23236 USA
800-441-3005 ext XXXX
804-425-XXXX direct
804-530-8333 fax
XXXXXXXXXXXzeiss.com
www.zeiss.com/sports

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats good. I'll take Japan any day over China

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good news on not being built in China.
I would consider a Leupy again, but I much prefer the Rapid-Z reticles over Leupold's offerings.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,611 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,943
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.