Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I stumbled across this slide show on the Readers Digest web site. It appears to make WD40 seem a lot better than it is but some of the ideas could be useful. One is to spray it on fish lures to attract fish. My dad did that and there was no doubt that he could catch fish in a plastic bucket. I don't know if it was the WD40 or just his skill.

I have a hard time believing that it's effective for waterproofing boots, though.

WD40

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know from personal experience it will get a fly strip and glue detached from your head when nothing else in the house would.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'd never considered using a fly strip for a headband. Does it keep head cooties from migrating downward? grin

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
WD-40 is made from fish oil.
I used it on everything, even my ex wife.

JD338

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My bug out bag would contain a ...

Colt 1911

Buck Knife

Vice-Grip

Can of WD-40

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A shot of it in a trailer light plug will really help the contacts. A lot of truckers carry it just for that. It's also very good on the base of light bulbs for better contact, especially on vehicles that get dirty and wet.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Chalky looking paint on metal, like an old car or lawn mower, shines up like brand new.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cologne

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JD338
WD-40 is made from fish oil.
I used it on everything, even my ex wife.

JD338
it has heavy naphtha.

I mention this because one email says it is non toxic and safe to take internally.
It also has mineral oil. It was develope to displace moisture on rockets and was used on the paper thin stainless steel fuel tanks of rockets. Those tanks were so thin they had to be pressured up with a gas to keep them from collapsing if not filled with fuel.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I read that the name stands for Water Displacement #40. It was the 40th and final version that they tried during it's development.

I've also read that it's non-toxic to humans. The Readers Digest article makes it sound like it's going to kill all life.

― George Orwell

IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I mention this because one email says it is non toxic and safe to take internally...

I spray cockroaches with it. They crawl away and die.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very effective as a wasp spray. Kills 'em dead.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is absolutely NO fish oil in WD-40. Even the company has no idea where that silly urban legend came from.

It is a very good water displacer (well, duh). It is a very good glue, road tar, and insect splatter remover. It is a fairly good penetrant. It is a fairly good rust preventative. It is not a very good lube. It "dries" to a sticky gum that attracts and holds dusty grit. That makes it poor for gun use.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I read that the name stands for Water Displacement #40. It was the 40th and final version that they tried during it's development.

I've also read that it's non-toxic to humans. The Readers Digest article makes it sound like it's going to kill all life.
IIRC, the label states it has petroleum products. I'll pass on using it to shine plates. grin

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
There is absolutely NO fish oil in WD-40. Even the company has no idea where that silly urban legend came from.

It is a very good water displacer (well, duh). It is a very good glue, road tar, and insect splatter remover. It is a fairly good penetrant. It is a fairly good rust preventative. It is not a very good lube. It "dries" to a sticky gum that attracts and holds dusty grit. That makes it poor for gun use.

its has Whale oil in it, A Whale is NOT a fish. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hubert, I know you're joking, and YOU know you're joking, but forty-leven zillion internet idjuts are now spreading the rumor that WD-40 has whale oil in it. By now, there's probably a chanting crowd of incensed greeny crazies picketing the WD-40 headquarters with "Save the Whales" placards.

Geez...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Someone here posted that they used to spray it on their knees everyday and it seemed to help knee pain. cannot confirm though.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Someone here posted that they used to spray it on their knees everyday and it seemed to help knee pain. cannot confirm though.
I saw a website that called it a fix for rheumatism. Hmmm.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Might be that one of the solvent in it is DMSO? DMSO is a known therapy for treating joint problems in equines.

It is a solvent and "carrier" that will take anything dissolved with it directly through the skin barrier and into the bloodstream.

Old guys will remember the book "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test" where the geniuses painted the doorknobs and stair rails with a mixture of LSD and DMSO.

It's also used as a "cutting agent" for meth dealers to stretch the amount of their products.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There must be a website of WD40 legends but the best I ever heard was from several variously authoritative types on rec.guns - for those of you that may remember where this nonsense started.

The story was that if you sprayed it on your Ruger revolver, the barrel would fall off. In fact, if you were stupid enough to spray it on your trapdoor bayonet, it too would snap off if you so much as tapped your buttstock on the ground.

Oh, we have come so far from rec.guns, now we have 24hrcampfire cognoscenti that think trees grow from from their roots.

Same song, another verse, eh? smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (44mc, 1100mag, Anaconda, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,298 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,252
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.