-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was told the worlds largest elk was harvested with a 30 40 krag. Please look up 300 savage ballistics on google. What I researched was 180 grain Speer BTSP with H4895 is proper elk medicine. The 165 grain premium type bullet should also be adequate especially since more powder will fit behind it.just come off the range and I believe my limiting factor for accuracy on the 99's is the incredible amount of trigger creep mine seem to all have. (Any suggestions?) For elk harvest look for a sectional density of above .25 and 1500 foot pounds of energy at point of impact in your bullet. Therefore a 30/06 would remove all doubt. Goodluck!

Last edited by Angus1895; 04/26/13.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In my experience there is a wide range of trigger quality in the 99 family. Each gun is different. I've owned some that are pretty darn good and some that were useless... and everything in between.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hate to ambush the sight about triggers but it seems to me field shooting creeping triggers severly affect my groups past 200 yards, I seem to get along a lot better with accutriggers and Marlin triggers. My 99's that are post mill and therefore less desirable seem to group way better at longer ranges than the ol timers.(These triggers seem crisper) Remember for elk with a 300 savage you are dealing with lower bullet velocity compared to bigger cartidges. Therefore bullets designed to be less frangible will, or may not perform to their optimum. More conventional lead based bullets with enhanced sectional density may out do the fancy curly bullets due to lower terminal velocity of the 300 sav.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good rifleman doesn't blame his tools.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This may be an apples to oranges comparison, but the logic is still there. My buddy booked us a wild pig hunt in S.C., the first couple guides he talked to said my 250 was too small, get something 30 or bigger. So, I started working up loads for my DL in 308, but was having scope problems. Got my Dads 06 Rem pump, but it was having trigger problems. Just a little dirty, hasn't been touched since Dad passed. The guide we wound up using said he took pigs all the time with a 243, just shoot them behind the ear. Grabbed my 250 R and never looked back. It took almost 20 minutes for the pig to turn so I could put one behind his ear, but he went down like Thor hit on the head with his hammer. This year I joked about having to wait so long for the pig to turn and Rick said "well, just shoot him in the eye". So, I shot this years pig in the left eye, came out behind the right eye, dead pig. It seems like if I, at 100 yards, aim at a bull the size of a cup saucer, I can keep every shot in the black. But, the groups can be 3". If I shoot at a 2" bull, all of the shots will be in the black, but much tighter. If I aim at a little target, I can hit a little target. If I aim at a big target, I can hit it too, somewhere. Learn your target, so you are not just shooting at a big brown spot. If I ever go West, my 250 is coming with me. Might take bigger stuff too. But if I have to shoot him in the eye or ear to put him down, I know I can do it, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
This may be an apples to oranges comparison, but the logic is still there. My buddy booked us a wild pig hunt in S.C., the first couple guides he talked to said my 250 was too small, get something 30 or bigger. So, I started working up loads for my DL in 308, but was having scope problems. Got my Dads 06 Rem pump, but it was having trigger problems. Just a little dirty, hasn't been touched since Dad passed. The guide we wound up using said he took pigs all the time with a 243, just shoot them behind the ear. Grabbed my 250 R and never looked back. It took almost 20 minutes for the pig to turn so I could put one behind his ear, but he went down like Thor hit on the head with his hammer. This year I joked about having to wait so long for the pig to turn and Rick said "well, just shoot him in the eye". So, I shot this years pig in the left eye, came out behind the right eye, dead pig. It seems like if I, at 100 yards, aim at a bull the size of a cup saucer, I can keep every shot in the black. But, the groups can be 3". If I shoot at a 2" bull, all of the shots will be in the black, but much tighter. If I aim at a little target, I can hit a little target. If I aim at a big target, I can hit it too, somewhere. Learn your target, so you are not just shooting at a big brown spot. If I ever go West, my 250 is coming with me. Might take bigger stuff too. But if I have to shoot him in the eye or ear to put him down, I know I can do it, Joe.

There's a precision rifleman. And as far as triggers go, everybody knows a lighter, crisper trigger makes it possoble to shoot the rifle better.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get a 284, win in the cool factor and plenty of horsepower

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What I am trying to say in a roundabout way: The 300 savage with a 180 grain bullet will fall shy of 1500 foot pounds of energy somewhere around 300 yds. My sorry ass cannot group my ol 99"s better than that anyway. So I believe the 300 savage is plenty of elk medicine, because I am not going to shoot at elk with my 99's further than the 300 savage cartridge would be effective at harvesting elk. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and sadly me and my 99's are weaker than the 300 savage. Lots of practice and trigger work next.

Last edited by Angus1895; 04/27/13.

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for your responses guys. Sure has generated alot of interest!

The hunt will be in early November and I'll be contacting the ranch to hear more about the terrain. At this point, I don't even know the name of the ranch as someone else is lining the place up. All I've heard thus far is that its about 50 miles south of Bozeman.

I did find a deal on a 30-06 the other day so went ahead and picked it up. Since this may very well be a once in a lifetime event, I'm going to take both the 300 Savage and the 30-06. Having either option available will be nice and also provides a backup gun should one decide to go south for whatever reason.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Recruit, every thing already said is good.But, montana is a wide open state and ranges can be distant.your 300 will kill elk no doubt about it But, you have to hit them first. if you hold off shots over 200 yrds you will be fine But,if you see a 7x7 royal at 300+yrds across the canyon or up the mountain you will wish you had more horsepower. 30-06 is grand, 7mm mag is slightly grander, and 338 will get you up the mountain. have killed elk with each plus some with 45-70 and 250-3000. they are all graveyard dead and digested. call your ranch personal and ask what the conditions will be, aspen stands or open pasture settings. they can steer you in the right direction better than we can. good luck and welcome to the west.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Back in the olden days, before elk hides turned into Class III Kevlar and moose bones started to be made out of AR500 armor steel, requiring bullets to have at least 4,000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy for hunting them, things were simpler.

When I first became interested in hunting during the late 50's and early 60's, the .30/30 was considered "OK" for elk and the .35 Remington was "better", but real honest to God elk and moose guns started at the .30/40 Krag, .300 Savage and .303 British. The .270 was "more" and the .30/06 was a "big gun".

Cup and core bullets were king and big animals died easily if hit in the right spot. Your .300 Savage will cleanly take any elk at any range at which you can place your bullet properly.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 04/28/13.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Recruit
should one decide to go south for whatever reason.

Never had one go south until the other day until as I was sneaking down a dirt track and I hear the magazine fall out and hit the ground from the 99C. Before I turned around to look I started in on the "darn clip 99's" speech I was gunna give it. I was a little surprised to see my scope with rings laying in the dirt. I had just sighted it in three days before and was getting perfect groups. Drove to the happy hunting grounds and had that happen. I have no idea. No spare rifle.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My 99R 250 has taken several elk before I got it. Now ol Pete lived there, knew the area and liked to sneak up close but he fed his family.
The 300 Savage with a decent 165 or 180 wouldn't bother me a bit in some of the timbered areas you're likely to find elk in. At those velocities I'd not get too carried away about "premium" bullets either.
I've helped others clean and pack several elk on a horse over the years that were taken at distance with whatever cup and core that was on sale at Wal-mart out of a 308, 30-06 or 270. At the distance they were taken, velocities weren't above what a 300 Savage would be in the timber. None of them complained about the choice.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Recruit
Thanks for your responses guys. Sure has generated alot of interest!

The hunt will be in early November and I'll be contacting the ranch to hear more about the terrain. At this point, I don't even know the name of the ranch as someone else is lining the place up. All I've heard thus far is that its about 50 miles south of Bozeman.

I did find a deal on a 30-06 the other day so went ahead and picked it up. Since this may very well be a once in a lifetime event, I'm going to take both the 300 Savage and the 30-06. Having either option available will be nice and also provides a backup gun should one decide to go south for whatever reason.

Perfect solution! Now you won't have to worry about what that guy in the mirror is thinking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
excellant choice! now some fusions or light mag loads for the 0six and you will be in tall cotton. hornady lite mag loads for the 30-06 get close to the 300 win mag and flatten the trajectory a little. used them in a six pound springfield custom i built and didn't notice any more recoil than my handloads. let us know how you do on your trip.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last time I was in Colorado hunting was in 2001. I took both my 308 Mauser and my 1955 "F" model 99 in 300 Savage. AFter the first couple of days of lugging the 8.5 lb Mauser up and down the mountains from 9300' to 11000 ft I put it away and used my 6.5 lb 99"F" model. That extra 2 lbs is a real big deal for a flat lander when you are climbing at altitude. Every oz of weight is important. Your boots, binoculars, water bottles , etc. I would not hesitate hunting with my 99 in 300 Savage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the fascinating thing to me about western hunting.....Sure you can see the elk at 750 yards. They happen to be on the next hogsback and there is 650 feet of elevation drop and climb between you and it, there is no snow and it is 3:30 in the afternoon on a early October afternoon you have no spotter... Your lazzoroni thurty thurty can easily shoot a two inch group at that distance.....after you hit it how in the heck do you begin to find it? I know it was hit right over there by that sagebrush next to the rock that was laying by the tree just over there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best shot I ever made was just short of 900 meters in the PI with a .308 Win. With just a little more hold over I could have made that same shot with a .300 Savage. Might have clashed with my gillie suit though. grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
+1!!! That is what I always wondered about those long shots. Being an Eastern hunter, long for me would be 200 yards. Finding right where the silly thing was when I shot it, can be challenging sometimes. I imagine things get REALLY interesting if the animal is 500 yards away!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am always getting fooled by how "distinctive" a certain sagebrush,tree, or rock look. After I get out of breath moving over there and with the elevation and angle of the sun changing those "distinctive" landmarks are not distinguishable. I have come to the conclusion most sagebrush are the same color!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1lesfox, 1234, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,498
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.