Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I bought a new Marlin 1895 Cowboy in May to add to my collection of Lever Actions. I couldn't handle the look and feel of the "Shotgun" buttstock. Sooo... I had it upgraded. It now looks and feels more authentic.

[img:right][Linked Image][/img]

[img:right][Linked Image][/img]

When Injustice becomes law, Resistance becomes duty. -Thomas Jefferson
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like that.

A lot.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Me too!

Doc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you shot it with heavy loads?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
What a wonderful idea! First thing I thought of, was to have my 39A done the same way. Retro them pups!

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ok,so how did you go about the upgradeing?Did you replace the stock or cut and shape or ?? Looks good by the way.

Like oats through a horses ass, so are the days of my life
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I haven't had the chance to even shoot it yet. I just got back from working out of country and need to wait for the weather to clear.

I'm looking for a nice 39A to do the same with, so if there is anyone out there with a nice 39A for sale, let me know 'cause I want one.

I thought I could have the stock cut for the crescent, but a custom stock maker said it would be too short, which makes sense. I found a gentleman in Golden Colorado that ordered the stock and crescent, fitted them and finished both the buttstock and forearm to match with a nice hand rubbed finish. He did an excellent job and for a resonable amount. I'm very happy with the outcome!

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
These folks have semi-finished buttstocks and forearms for a variety of Marlin CAS conversions. No experience, but they look good and are reasonably priced.

http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/index1.html

Jim H.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I finally got to shoot the 1895 Cowboy with the new crescent buttstock. I don't have much meat in my shoulder so it kicked pretty hard and will have to make some adjustments for protective padding. But it fit well and handled well. I did nail two Javelinas on my South Texas hog hunt last week. This is a young sow.

[Linked Image]

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I too have a Cowboy 45-70, that is a nice looking conversion, something to think about!, who did the fitting?, Iam in Agate Co.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That really looks great! Worth the effort and expense I'm sure.

LOL
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
An old retired friend of mine that lives in Golden did the work. He squeezed mine in between his other projects and had the rifle for 5 weeks. You should be able to find someone in your area to do the work for you. My cost was $150 for the parts and $350 for his labor.

Below is a website for a gentleman that I am considering for a future project that requires checkering.

http://www.cgm-gunstockcheckering.com/

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Billy_Don
I finally got to shoot the 1895 Cowboy with the new crescent buttstock. I don't have much meat in my shoulder so it kicked pretty hard and will have to make some adjustments for protective padding. But it fit well and handled well. I did nail two Javelinas on my South Texas hog hunt last week. This is a young sow.

[Linked Image]

Nice looking rifle! Do I see a few pieces of corn by that little piggy?? blush grin

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love it! Now that's what a Cowboy should look like. I'll bet that pint sized pig thought he got hit with a freight train.

Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
Thor Heyerdahl
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
As you can see in the photo, the bullet entered just under her left eye. It exited out her left side with most everyuthing else with it. She was quite a mess. I showed this side out of respect for the animal. Remington 300 gr. off the shelf.

I've added a MVA Creedmoor tang sight since. I'll post a picture when I can get a good one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Century Limited on the bottom has a crescent buttstock, and I have found the shape is not punishing even with a .45-70 Govt push.

Something about that cowboy 24" octogon bbl. begs for a crescent pad.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I suggest you stick with black power era velocity loads. I had a Winchester hi wall Legacy ( crescent butt) a while ago that was a pussycat with said loads. Stoked with really stout loads under heavy bullets, it just plain hurt. And I always thought recoil did not bother me, but I found some that did. Changed that bugger out for a rifle with a SG butt!!!!! Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been thinking about doing this with my 1894 CB LTD. Just can't make-up my mind.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Billy_Don
so it kicked pretty hard and will have to make some adjustments for protective padding.

sounds like a shotgun butt with a recoil pad. grin

you never mentioned your rifles caliber,but Im guessing 45/70?

Last edited by fluffy; 04/28/13.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks awesome! I love that classic look!

Have a couple H&R's with the bufalo classic stocks. Really like the look. One day i'll make a custom lever gun and it will have that type stock.

"An armed society is a polite society."

Joe S.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,418
Posts18,470,528
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.