-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 1960s Husqvarna HVA Lightweight Imperial grade 30-06 that I recently acquired. It has some old Weaver tip off rings with the accompanying bases. It came with a cool old Weaver 4X with the post and crosshair reticle, but the eye relief is not long enough. I need recommendations on a scope, base and rings for the rifle. Please nothing with more than a 40mm objective (preferably smaller) as this is a 6.5lb handy rifle that begs for a fairly compact scope. Thanks in advance for your help.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You'll need a extended front base. To keep it light, I'd go with a 6x36 FX II and some low Talleys.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I currently have two of these, had another .270, mine are the earlier and, IMO, more desirable steel bottom metal type. The first is a factory 7x57, stocked with a Brown Kevlar with thin Pachy pad, over 20 years ago and it now wears original Leupold alloy mounts, with a "peep" incorporated into the rear base and lever-QD rings. It SHOOTS, but, ONLY 140s, especially NPs and what else do you need in a 7mm Mauser. The current scope is a 4x Leupy and one of the older, longer tubed ones of these is what I suggest for you.

Next, I had the factory tube pulled and a Fwt Kreiger, chambered .280 Rem. installed on my other one of these. I had a Bansner stock, thin Pachy pad, Timney, and ,as with the first one, a Wisner 3-pos. safety. Then, the smith told me that he had some Talley lights and would install these fitted and reamed. They hold a Leupy VX3 1.75x6 MHD and this is another excellent setup, the whole rifle, nicely Gin-Koted, is under 7.5 lbs and handles like a custom rifle should.

These, especially with the above mods, make among the best "mountain rifles" one can hope to obtain and are not particularly costly. One can or cannot do whatever of the mods you prefer and with a total glassbedding of the factory stock done by yourself and putting a pad on, you already have a pretty fair alpine hunting rifle, IMHO.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Karnis
You'll need a extended front base. To keep it light, I'd go with a 6x36 FX II and some low Talleys.

Ditto

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have one in a 270... but a Bishop left handed stock was put on it by the friend I got it from...

I put the standard old Leupold mounts for a Mauser on mine...
and it worn a Weaver K4 scope ( 38mm objective bell).. occasionally that comes off and I put a K 6 instead on it...

( I swap scopes around too much as my moods change...I've got a couple of 6 x 36 Leupolds, but I haven't put them on the Husky, due to the reticles... one is a Leupold Dot and the other is a Heavy German Number ONE reticle)...

IC B2

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My HVA is a full stock so I put a small scope on it. Leupold VX1 1-4X20 Shotgun/muzzle loader scope in Conetrol rings and bases. An extended front mount is not needed in my experience. The rings in picture require 5.1" of scope tube length. As pictured the rifle with scope is 7.5 lbs. (The pictured rifle is sold but the one I still have uses the same mounts and kind of scope.)

If it were not a FS I'd probably go with a Leupold 2-7X33 VX2 but scopes with bells don't look right to me on FS rifles.

[Linked Image]

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I run Leupold M8 4X's on my Husky's to keep the weight down.My 4100 Lightweight has Bastogne walnut on it (which negates the lightweight) so I keep the accesories as light a sI can.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
These came in two stock configs- a straight comb with some drop at the heel, and a monte carlo style comb.

If you have the monte style, the choices for rings/bases are limitless, but I'd go with a lightweight scope to preserve some balance to the rifle.

If you have the straight-drop comb, you want to get that scope LOW, but not to low that the bolt handle interferes with the scope ocular. I would recommend Warne bases, with Low Burris Zee rings (if you like steel). Try to choose a scope that has a smaller ocular and is light.

Best of luck with the rifle. They are fine rifles and very under-valued imo.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 53 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,188
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.