Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Does anyone have a list of what barrels and lengths were available special order from Winchester for the Model 50 Shotgun. I have a 20ga with a ws-1 Vent. rib barrel that is 22", and it doesn't appear to be cut off. It has the winchester rib, not a simmons one. Any info or old order forms would be appreciated. Just wondering if this was original or a really good gunsmithing job

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I looked at several Winchester catalogs and some Stoeger's but didn't find anything mentioning special order barrel lengths. It is possible that it could be a factory "special order" as Winchester wanted to please customers if it was feasible. I would first suggest that you have a gunsmith check the choking of the barrel to see if it has any. If it had been a 26" barrel I doubt it would have much, if any, constriction left at all. If it does have real original factory WS-1 choke that should be a positive indication to pursue more information. If not....

I am certainly no expert but I have owned several MOD 50 20ga shotguns mostly with Win. vent ribs. On inspecting my 20ga Mod 50 vent rib barrel, I found that the rib posts occur at exact 2" intervals starting from the muzzle going back to the receiver. From that, I would say it would not be a difficult task to cut both the rib and barrel to 22" (or 24" or 20") and dress up the cutting. I think the factory probably cut the barrel and rib separately and then joined them. However, if the barrel and rib were cut off after it left the factory (with the rib left on when it was cut) the fit of the rib with the post at the muzzle might either overhang the post or be perfectly flush with that post. The one's that I've seen show the slight bevel of the post at the edges and no evidence of the post being cut vertically. It would be helpful if you could compare the rib/muzzle fit of your barrel with one that is known to be factory original. There. A very long answer to a logical and simple question. I really like Model 50 20ga's. I think a 22" barrel would be a super fast-handling quail gun for sure. I hope someone more knowledgeable than I can give some better info. In any case sure hope you like yours too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (06hunter59, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 9,813 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,359
Posts18,546,808
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.