Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by cal74
After Jamisons lawsuit against Winchester, Im thinking is what kind of killed much of their support with the WSM's

What was the lawsuit over?

On my phone typing this and not going to pretend i know all the details, but apparently he had a patend on the wsm case design and sued Win and won.

Also presume now he gets a nice royalty everytime a rifle ore case is made?

Personally i whould say "up yours" and kill the cartridge if I were Winchester.

Life is just one damned thing after another
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I can't agree with you, there. Winchester has a strong grip on the short mag market right now. Killing off the WSM for something else (obviously the short mag isn't going to die, so they would introduce a replacement) opens the door for others to gain a grip on the market. Paying a royalty to Jamison likely makes more sense for Winchester than killing off a market winner and rolling the dice with something new.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I'm sure if it's penciling out and in the Black, than obviously they'll continue to produce whatever but you can't tell me that there aren't people there that would like nothing to do with the cartridge, given the circumstances.

Used to really enjoy Jamison (spelling) writings growing up, but don't agree with today's patent process. More than likely we'd all be shooting 30-30's and 30-06's (slight exaggeration) if it weren't for wild-catters patenting every variation possible.

Life is just one damned thing after another
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
geedubya,

I know of a 325 Montana NIB on the cheap. I think I might buy it just because...

If it won't shoot to my liking, it should make a great donor. I've noticed plenty of 8mm components available as well. Good excuse for another rifle...

SAS,

My Montana shot "minute-of-Whitetail. Everyone wants 1 hole groups. From my experience 1 hole groups are an aberration in hunting rifles If I can get 1" groups or better at 100 yds I'm good with that. I use groups and a chronograph to tell me what powder load combination is optimum.
Lightweight rifles with wispy thin barrels can be a challenge to shoot as accurately as heavy barreled rifles, but even so, MOA should do fine to 300 yds. What percentage of game animals to you shoot past 300 yds. In my case very few.

As to the donor idea. I like the action and stock a lot, you could add a short stiff barrel and chamber it to whatever you desire.

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
In the 2013 Winchester catalog I counted 8 different .325 WSM M 70 being offered. Only 1 in 7mm WSM.

Here is the 8 different models for the .325 WSM;Sporter,Featherweight,Exterme Weather SS,Coyote Light,Ultimate Shadow Hunter SS,Ultimate Shadow Hunter,Ulimate Shadow,Ultimate Shadow.

The 7mm WSM is in the Featherweight.

Seems to me that the .325 WSM is more popular than the 7mm WSM.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After Jamisons lawsuit against Winchester, Im thinking is what kind of killed much of their support with the WSM's

Jamison + WSM = Bad Mojo.

It was because of Jamison that the Short Magnums didn't take off.... that and the requirement to hang a Magnum moniker on it.

One good thing about it though.. I never saw an ammo shortage for a WSM..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Kimber Montanas are very accurate. The 7mm WSM shot well right out of the box.

I don't use them much because they don't have fancy walnut stocks.

I might bring the 7mm WSM to the range tomorrow and just fire one shot at 200 yds to check that it stays sighted in.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by RDW

What was the lawsuit over?

On my phone typing this and not going to pretend i know all the details, but apparently he had a patend on the wsm case design and sued Win and won.

Also presume now he gets a nice royalty everytime a rifle ore case is made?

I've been looking at your avatar for 6 minutes, forgot what this thread was about and am going to call it shower time now.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BCJR
If this is true I hope brass production will continue , for a while anyway , anyone else heard this? Kinda funny cause I think these are

No need to worry, there are several rounds that are hardly ever chambered for unless a special order. And brass can be found for these. .264 Win mag. 300 Savage 257 Roberts 220 Swift 250-3000 Savage 35 Whelen 308 Norma Mag

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I seem to have two of the going away cartridges, 257 roberts and 300WSM. The 300WSM cases seem to last forever and its an accurate cartridge.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Looks like the Cabela's shooting catalog lists three different Winchester factory loads and a one Federal premium for the 7 wsm. I have two 300's and one 270 wizzums. I have only shot one, a Remington 700, it shoots lights out, bites a bit, that's why I picked up the 270. I'm currently looking at a 7 WSM, I hope they all make it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cabelas in CT had boxes of Fusion 7mm WSM ammo the other day. It was a 150 gr bullet.

So it seems that someone is still making 7mm WSM ammo!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BCJR
was at my local range shooting a 7wsm of mine and a guy asked me what I was shooting , when i told him he scoffed and said he was at the shot show and was told that no one was going to manufacturing rifles in 325 wsm or 7mm wsm any longer. So I went home and called a friend who owns a gun shop to see if this was true and he claimed it was. If this is true I hope brass production will continue , for a while anyway , anyone else heard this? Kinda funny cause I think these are two of the better WSM chamberings.

Even if they are discontinued, brass isn't going anywhere.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
geedubya,

I know of a 325 Montana NIB on the cheap. I think I might buy it just because...

If it won't shoot to my liking, it should make a great donor. I've noticed plenty of 8mm components available as well. Good excuse for another rifle...

I think you need a 358WSM for those big KY deer. That would be fun...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Poof There Rem.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,209 guests, and 1,405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,481
Posts18,471,797
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.