Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Walmart Has had a no return on ammo since before 2000 at the stores that I shopped at. I have heard from some local people that work at the Remington plant at Lonoke, that they recently had a bad batch of .22 ammo that the only problem was the color of the hulls came out black and they would not sell it on the open market. They were letting employees buy it in bulk plastic bags not boxes. Way back probably in the 1980's they would let employees buy blems at a greatly reduced price, mostly shot gun shells and the box's would be marked blems and not for resale. I shot a lot of them that my MIL got with never a problem. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of retailers have a "No Return" policy on ammo , not just Wal Mart.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Miles, one part of the plant that I did NOT get to see was where shot is made. IIRC, they have a shot tower there and I was really interested in seeing that in operation. Unfortunately, that area wasn't in operation for some reason at the time I was there and we didn't go in there.

Another place I wanted to see, but didn't get to see, was where primers are made. But I can't remember if they make them on site there or not.

The things that amazed me the most in that tour were #1): the unbelievable sheer volume of components and ammo that were in motion in the plant at all times. #2): The amazing amount of Quality Control, logistical, and set-up checks, double checks, and testing that they routinely executed flawlessly to keep the plant running smoothly, producing safe, top quality ammo (Even changing from 150 to 165gr bullets in a caliber and cartridge already running required a surprising amount of set-up changes even though the only thing that changed was the bullet weight and the powder charge weight or sometimes also powder type.) #3): I got to witness part of a changeover on one of their lines that produces shorter runs of some of the less popular cartridges like .250 Savage and .303 British. They were changing caliber and cartridge. The set-up crew was like a well oiled machine and each person knew their job profusely well. It was sorta like a couple of NASCAR pit crews working at the same time, but on VERY precise equipment and making sure everything was nearly perfect before the car took off again. #4): The amazingly sharp eyed QC inspectors. Many (if not most) defects are caught by in-process test stations but there are still some straight visual inspections of the ammo as it moves along. Those folks could spot miniscule defects on moving ammo that I could hardly see holding the cartridge or component in my hand.

I'd like to go back there and see it again.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well all this info on WM makes sense with some Winchester white box 22-250. All fired, but report and 200 yard impacts were all over the board. 5-7 inches disspersion out of a gun that can print 1/2 or better MOA with handloads.

Sean
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Was talking to a gal who's family has a trucking business. They specialize in refridgerated hauling. She told me she could tell me horror stories about Walmart standards for produce. I didn't ask her to elaborate but am guessing stuff they pick up is pretty close to "expired" before even heading to the store.

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I know that Menards sells seconds. It's a lumber company and discount store. Their hardware is less likely to be threaded right, their screws are dull, nails without heads are common, lumber is not as dry as real lumber yards, more pine pitch in the studs and less quality, insulation is not as uniform in thickness neither. I know about WM. clothes being thinner cloth than other stores too. If it's safe to shoot I am sure Walmart would sell whatever they needed to cut competitors business.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Same as our Canadian tire up here, they do not buy first runs or top quality from suppliers.
You get the cheap version.
Costco up here also buys in big lots from suppliers, and they are not always top quality either.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (257 mag, 1badf350, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 28 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,535
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.