Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter
Also known medically as Hypertension. At 49 years......mine has reached the point of the 150-190 over 95-110 range. My doc and I are fighting cuz I think some of the side effects are worse than the slight positive effects of the meds..........go figure.

So, what do you all take and is it worth it and can you offer any of your thoughts on this fairly common health issue?

Let me get very real with you man. My buddy has BP just like that but wouldn't take any medications. No, he thought diet and exercise was all he needed. He lost weight and was working out, but still the numbers stayed.

Two years and 5 months ago I found him dead in his house. That's right, dead as a [bleep] fence post. Why? He had a hemorrhagic stroke. Yep, that BP blew a blood vessel in his brain. That blows and you are dead.

Yeah some of those BP meds might make your pecker a little weak, but not near as weak as when you are [bleep] dead. Don't be a dumb azz like my buddy was.

What he said. Actually kinda nice to you. Really, do what your Dr. Says to do. Take the meds and be glad for a longer life.

Last edited by AlabamaEd; 05/11/13.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Stay away from Norvasc or Losartin and those family of drugs. Calcium channel blockers or ARB's. The least side effects I have found is with Lisinopril but it does give you a dry cough.

High blood pressure = hardening of the arteries. Higher the pressure and the longer it goes on,the more your arteries harden to combat it. Sooner or later POP!!!! Make your choice.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by battue
Since the consequences of HBP are slow in developing most don't think it is all that important to get it under control ASAP. Much like diabetes. Take the pill and have a donut. It's under control, my numbers are good. Then a few years later take two pills and have a donut. Numbers are good.

Then one day your feet hurt, your circulation has gone to chit and they cut off a foot along with not being able to see much.

Many don't know the consequences nor if told imagine they will happen to them. There numbers are good. Sleep with a rattlesnake long enough and eventually you will get bit.

Yep, none of us are making it out alive.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I take both Norvasc and Losartin (Cozaar).
No noticeable side effects from them. Had me on a diuretic for a while but it caused too many close calls with the restroom.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
One other thing. 180/110. If either the top number or bottom number is this high it is generally considered a medical emergency. With some of the numbers you're saying you are getting I'm surprised your doc didn't admit you to a hospital on the spot.

140/90 is considered too high, but if that is as high as it is getting you might be able to reduce it enough by lifestyle changes. If you don't show improvement in a few months I would get meds. Any higher than that would mean meds first, then see what happens with lifestyle changes.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
One of my IL's had BP that high.
It blew out her kidneys.
Unless you want to be on dialysis until you die I echo the comments of the others and suggest you listen to your doctor.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I understand diet won't for all but it worked for me, got off the medication when the diet started working out. After following a diet outlined by a different doctor from the one that prescribed the medication my pressure went low, 85 over 60. At that point I quit the medication and my pressure stabilized at 115 over 70 within a week. Took several medications for about six months and never could get it right to stabilize BP.
Pretty simple by dull way to eat.
Cut out, anything processed, anything fried, sugars, wheat/gluten, caffeine, beef, pork and shell fish.
The last three was for gout but still eat pork several times a week with out issues.
Lots of, broccoli, cucumbers, tomatoes, brussels sprouts, lettuce, peppers, walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, flax seed, baked or grilled fish and chicken and anything berries for fruit.
Gave up cow milk and went with almond milk.

Last edited by nathanial; 05/11/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter
Also known medically as Hypertension. At 49 years......mine has reached the point of the 150-190 over 95-110 range. My doc and I are fighting cuz I think some of the side effects are worse than the slight positive effects of the meds..........go figure.

So, what do you all take and is it worth it and can you offer any of your thoughts on this fairly common health issue?

Let me get very real with you man. My buddy has BP just like that but wouldn't take any medications. No, he thought diet and exercise was all he needed. He lost weight and was working out, but still the numbers stayed.

Two years and 5 months ago I found him dead in his house. That's right, dead as a [bleep] fence post. Why? He had a hemorrhagic stroke. Yep, that BP blew a blood vessel in his brain. That blows and you are dead.

Yeah some of those BP meds might make your pecker a little weak, but not near as weak as when you are [bleep] dead. Don't be a dumb azz like my buddy was.

What he said. Actually kinda nice to you. Really, do what your Dr. Says to do. Take the meds and be glad for a longer life.

I've found being nice and gentile to a man does not always work. Laying it hard on the line mostly works better.

Anyway, if the diet and exercise work that is just great. Then you can come off the meds AFTER it works. In the mean time take your damn meds.

Also know that you are in for a lifetime of monitoring, even if you come off them. Once it's proven you have to keep tabs on it.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by battue
Since the consequences of HBP are slow in developing most don't think it is all that important to get it under control ASAP. Much like diabetes. Take the pill and have a donut. It's under control, my numbers are good. Then a few years later take two pills and have a donut. Numbers are good.

Then one day your feet hurt, your circulation has gone to chit and they cut off a foot along with not being able to see much.

Many don't know the consequences nor if told imagine they will happen to them. There numbers are good. Sleep with a rattlesnake long enough and eventually you will get bit.

Yep, none of us are making it out alive.

Death doesn't scare me all that much. How, how long it takes and what is going on while it's getting the job done does.

laissez les bons temps rouler
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I agree. I would like to check the box that says "die peacefully in your sleep"...........

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Where's the fun in that?

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If there's too much pressure in the line, drain out some of the fluid and the pressure goes down. Every couple of weeks drain out a pint or two and you'll be fine.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
actually, "bleeding" was a very common practice in the early days of medicine....wonder why they don't do it anymore?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Women do it...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nor I and I'm pretty sure I'll take a massive heart attack over sitting in a wheelchair, thinking I'm Ethel Merman and pissing myself every time the microwave is turned on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
I agree. I would like to check the box that says "die peacefully in your sleep"...........

Like grandpa did. Not yelling and screaming like the other passengers in his car

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Oh schitt.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've been fighting high BP for years but it's usually well controlled by the meds. Then the doc decided to add an extra med that didn't do anything more so added med #3. In 24 hours, I thought I was a dead man walking. Try 200 over 117 and imagine the headaches with it that high. My wife should have tanen me to the hospital but I made it through the night and was at the doc's office when he showed up for work. We had a little talk and he dropped all my med and gave me a new one, one pill only to take in the AM. No headaches and the BP was back to normal. Al I can say is if migraine headaches are as bad as the one I had, the God have pity on those poor people. I can only thank the Creator for allowing me to keep on walking this earth and of the OP doesn't take the meds, well he's in for a rude awakening. By the time morning came to where I could see the doc, I'll admit that is the most frightened I have ever been in my life.
Note to OP: TAKE THE MEDS!
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm on a combination pill, Lisinopril and HCTZ. Been hanging in the 115-120/70-80 range the last couple of years. I'm also on a CPAP, (doc said sleep apnea can screw with the BP, so he sent me for a test) have lost 20 pounds, and walk 4-5 nights a week. I've never been one to add salt to foods so that wasn't really an issue for me.

No real side effects from the pill although I do have to drink more during the day, especially if it's hot and I'm sweating, it's easy to become dehydrated and have the BP drop too low. In the mornings, I can figure on taking a leak about every hour or so, by lunch time, I'm 'normal' again.

Dale

This space for rent

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

258 members (1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 160user, 35, 44mc, 27 invisible), 1,196 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,214
Posts18,524,304
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.