Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
After learning we are just 3-4 days away from the store shelves being empty given a trucker strike or other malfunction in distribution we have learned to keep a few items on hand.

22 shells? Last count I had was over 9000 but my daughter would go through 2 550 packs a weekend back when it was readily available so I picked up a few every chance I got. No different than keeping the tank full.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For quite a few years I've scooped up a few boxes of Wally World Federal 550 Value Packs, whenever I got out that way.

At the moment I still have about 5 or 6 of 'em, plus lots of other stuff, including Wolf MT, Federal Auto Match, WW Dynapoints, Wildcats, Mini Mags, Velocitors and Federal 40gr bricks.

If our club's youth programs needed ammo, we had some. When some kinfolks needed 22 ammo for their grandkids up near my hunting camp, we had 'em.

Many years ago, it was bricks of WW Wildcats that took up shelf space, but my son always had ammo. Then it was small plastic ammo cans of bulk CCI Mini Mags for Christmas and birthdays, when he was old enough to hunt.

I can't think of a time in the past 30 years, that I haven't had at least a few thousand rounds of 22 ammo on hand?

Last summer a club member gave me a box of CCI "Quiet" long rifles to try and said they're hard to find. Sometime later, Walmart had a mess of them in the ammo cabinet. So I bought him a box to replace what he'd given me and bought several more for myself.

After the last ammo shortage fiasco, I stocked up on even more 22 ammo when it became available again, than I normally have. Apparently I was getting prepared for the current ammo shortage and didn't even know it?

whistle

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
That's just fine and dandy, if one has a hoarder mentality. There's a lot more to life than prepping for the next apocalypse. I truly feel sorry for those who are so preoccupied with what might happen that they forget how to live in the here-and-now (which includes doing what's necessary so that doomsday never happens in the first place). Sure, set some ammo aside for a rainy day- who doesn't if they can afford it? Cache tens or hundreds of thousands of rounds with which to fend off the 'have nots'? That's nuts. Taking advantage (by gouging in times of drought) of one's fellow man because they can may be legal, but sure isn't moral. Anyone who does that has the ethics of a snake.

What about the working stiff who is saddled with a mortgage, school expenses, car payments/repair bills, and feeding the hungry mouths under his roof? To expect him to stockpile (hoard) a huge pile of .22 ammo (or any ammo) for a rainy day is ludicrous. To accuse said guy of swilling $5 coffees and blowing the grocery money on beer without knowing him is ludicrous also- and more than a little prejudicial and narrow minded. My late father fitted that description of a working stiff. He couldn't afford to squirrel away more than a box or two of .22's at a time- when a box of .22 ammo cost about 50�, and him being a guy who loved to plink and hunt with a .22. Had this "Big Shortage" happened 50 years ago, he would have been royally screwed and unable to do anything about it. And to think that somewhere out there a stranger would have made light of his plight and accused him of spending his money un-wisely makes me grit my teeth.

I am a working stiff, with a mortgage, a wife and two growing boys to cloth and feed. I work every minute of overtime that I can and used that money to buy ammo/components. I guess people just have to decide what's more important to them.

Dink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I learned from the last time, having a son who loves to shoot and hunt. I stocked up whenever I could on whatever bulk ammo was available - even just a brick at a time at Walmart. I have a bunch left, as in thousands of rounds - 20 or 30 bricks at least. We were going to move, so we put most of our stuff in storage to get the house ready to sell. Then I got laid off. Our stuff is still in storage and I just started a new job last Monday. Having been out of work a few months, I hear I won't be able to qualify for a mortgage, even with more than half down.

Now I just have to dig stuff out of storage and find my ammo and components. It didn't cost much to stock up one brick or bulk pack at a time. Course, now junior prefers to shoot a .223, centerfire handgun or shotgun, but I stocked on that ammo a little at a time or reloaded it in my spare time.

Besides - can you imagine what it will be like in So Cal after the big quake hits? Interstates shut down? Trying to fly in food and water for several million people? It is my responsibility to my family to be prepared.

I won't pay the gougers' prices.

To the guy with the kids and turtles - pellets and BBs for air rifles are still around. We shot a ton of those as kids and even as teenagers.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
J
JT1980 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The frustration I have is not with people who buy up ammo to put into their storage for their own use. The part that upsets me is that people line up to buy it for retail cost, with the intention of posting it online later that evening for 3x the cost. That's not business, that's selfishness and greed. If you're not going to shoot it or use it yourself... don't buy it just for the intent of screwing over someone else to make a few bucks.
Then when the guy who actually has to work from 9-5 get's off and has a chance to run to the local sporting goods store, there's no ammo. It's all on gunbroker and other websites.
Someone earlier said it right. It might be legal... but it's not moral!

There's something about the outside of a horse, that's good for the inside of a man... Winston Churchill
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sellers don't set prices. Buyers do.

$50 a box to a gouger or an empty shelf with a $20 tag on it, take your pick.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree with the general sentiment expressed by most on this thread. I've always been a prepared/"2 is 1, and 1 is none" type of guy. I seem to be surrounded by neighbors that are trying to buy generators during a blackout, or snowblowers during a blizzard. Most of them even return said products after the "emergency" event. I consider these people IDIOTS. I even had one neighbor (that I'm not close with) say to me: "you could have run an extension cord to my house during the last blackout". My response was: "are you planning to buy a generator now, so your prepared next time the grid goes down?".... I got a confused look in response. IDIOT! The same holds true re: ammo, I'm not saying people should have pallets of 22LR on hand, but any gun owner that didn't have a few bricks of 22LR on hand before the latest (post Sandy Hook, MORONIC Libretard gun grabbing frenzie) is an IDIOT (there, I said it).

I have no problem with greedy people trying to sell $20 boxes of ammo for 3-4x that price. JUST DON'T BUY IT!
I DO have a problem with sporting good stores large & small that sell LARGE amounts of ammo to one purchaser. I prefer what SOME stores are doing, which is limiting sales to one or two bricks per customer. This allows everyone to purchase a bit (when available) to get through this tough time for shooters.

I'm hoping this blows over soon, but I also hope the current administration goes away, and the Liberals in this Country fall off a cliff. I DON'T expect either to happen, but I can keep hoping.

-TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If there was no demand for ammo, IE if everyone had planned ahead of time, then there would be no problem.... they could price high and no one would buy....

I get caught at times too, just not quite ready to buy components for something I just bought... but thats pretty rare even then.

I've gone now for years, to buying primers in NO less than 5000 at a time. Will be doing same for percussion caps next also.

I wouldn't think of buying 22 less than 5000 at a time. And if I didnt' have at least 5000 or 10000 set aside, I would...

And of course components wise for ammo, lot to lot variations can change things and once I found what I wanted to shoot for a given round, I'll buy basically what it takes to burn that barrel out... component wise.

And I try to stay one year ahead on dove/duck loads to be safe too...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Boy, you guys must be rich to be able to buy stuff in lots of 5-10,000 (.22's, primers, etc.). Not many of us can afford such largess. Must be a matter of priorities- shooting is a high priority for me but not the only one by a long shot. I have a fair amount of components and .22's on hand for a rainy day, and if/when I get dangerously low I'll simply stop shooting for a while and wait 'til the stuff is back on the shelves again. No worries. There's plenty of other ways for me to enjoy the outdoors. Fretting over shortages and panic buying simply are not in my nature. If I can't spend a Saturday blowing through a brick of .22s, I'll go fly fishing instead (unless the panic-ers kill all the trout grin ), or go for a long hike, or go boating, or anything but gnash my teeth over a shortage of shooting supplies.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The resellers are the problem.

Yep, and I am getting a little tired of people bragging about how much they have hoarded. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
wink

It's only hoarding if you never use it...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not that people are rich, at least surely not me, but we accumulate slowly over time, just exactly like the better financial advisors advise with money. Pay yourself first � put a little aside regularly.

For the past 2-3 years every time I went to the gunstore I�d buy a brick of primers of some kind or other � LR, SR, LP, SP, whatever � or a box of component bullets, and/or a brick of .22 ammo. Once in a great while I'd splurge and get an 8 pound jug of powder.

Buy one item at a time and do that 40-50 times a year across three years, only spending about $20-25 each time, and when the shortages happen you've got enough to last through the hard times.

It's just saving for a rainy day, the same advice folks have been passing down for generations.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not that people are rich, at least surely not me, but we accumulate slowly over time, just exactly like the better financial advisors advise with money. Pay yourself first � put a little aside regularly.

Sounds familiar? smirk

If I'm in a store that has something I use and I have a few extra bucks, I'll generally buy it for later. It's how I accumulated multiple boxes of Fed. Value Pack ammo from Walmart.

Because I recall buying a few boxes from time to time over the years, then how it was unobtainable the last time we had a "shortage".

So yeah, I have 22 ammo and don't really feel all that much sympathy for those now whining that they cannot find any. I figure everyone else had the same opportunities to buy some when it was plentiful and at a good price, as I did?

If I wanted to be "rich", I'd elect to sell some right now. whistle

There's been an ad in our paper over the past few weeks, for bricks @ $70 and the seller claims to have 14,000 rounds. Positively entreprenurial, ain't it?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by TWR
The resellers are the problem.

I disagree.

If someone walks up and offers a $100 per bulk pack I am going to sell some. My household could use the money as much as anyone else's. I don't blame people for taking advantage of dumb azzes. Having 22 ammo is not a necessity.

Dink

I agree. The problem is the people that never planned ahead and continue to stupidly support the gougers. If people didn't buy it the price would come down. This is a free country so sell for whatever people will pay. I'm not upset with the sellers, just the morons that continue to pay the ridiculous prices. Wait it out and learn the lesson. JMHO

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm selling some 22LR at non-gouging prices right now in the Classifieds.
Friends get priority and I'm reserving the right to deny sales to whomever I feel like.

I'm not going to be part of the problem.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I learned the lesson of "Be Prepared" many years ago as a Boy Scout. In the case of .22LR ammo, it wasn't hard or expensive.

μολὼν λαβέ
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I guess either many misunderstood my definition of "resellers" or we just come from different cultures.

Those who buy all they can from say Walmart at regular prices and then post it online at a huge profit. Those are the resellers who are causing the problem. Without them, ammo would still be on the shelves and those that wanted it could buy it.

For those that think having a buddy working at Walmart who saves it for you so you can make your huge profit, get a job or open a store. Heck post up here if you're not ashamed to do so. We'd all like to thank you properly.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I don't see that as a problem. Anyone can get there azz out of bed and hit wal-mart at 0700 to buy ammo.

I have wanted a Glock 19 for several years prior to the shooting. I kept putting it off spending my money on rifles. The day it happened I ordered two. It took awhile but i got them, 25 spare mags and 5k rounds of 9mm at pre-panic prices (though I did give to much money for ten mags). It was work and took time but I got what I wanted.

Dink

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Figures...

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Let me guess your looking for Glock 19 mags?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (6mmCreedmoor, 7887mm08, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 35, 69sportfury, 13 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,517
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.