Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

The way I figure it, you won't get confused in a dark area & mistakenly align the 3 dots night sights incorrectly.

That's a lot of internet BS...........go out & actually try it at night, pretty hard to get confused unless of course, you never done it before.

In almost any case, the gun is up & in your hand, in a ready position at or near eye level & pointing; pretty easy (at least for me) to stay/get oriented to my sights.

MM

A shooting timer will confirm that the Heine Straight Eight system is superior to any other 3-dot system. Not shooting with either a timer or from a holstered position

A less-than perfect grip (like when your azzhole is real tight, cause someone is trying to kill you) will present the weapon with sights a tad askew. If your front sight dot is behind one of the rear sight dots, and you yank the trigger, who the hell knows where it is going? You didn't read my comment; if the situation is such that I can't see the sights & I must depend on tritium, then the gun is in my hand, positioned correctly & likely more or less at eye level. From there it's an easy move to final aim & firing position & reasonable sight alignment (you may personally have difficulty though).

Straights 8's alignment in the vertical is equally as easy to mis-align as you make out the horizontal alignment of the 3-dots to be.

I am of the opinion that a rear sight with a MUCH wider notch (at least 0.156 on a Glock) with NO Tritium, combined with a front sight like the new Trijicon HD, might just be the ultimate carry gun setup. Maybe.......at least I think it's not bad; night shooting requiring tritium will not be long range.

I would like to see a side-to side comparison, at night of the above compared to the Heine system done with timers and a lot of good shooters. I KNOW either is superior to the "conventional" 3-dot setup. I know you always KNOW, even when you don't. I have nothing at all against Straight 8 sights, & even like them, but they are simply not a measurable amount either better or worse than 3-dots, just different

GB1

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I despise 3 dot sights with a passion and find them the slowest of all sights. I find it especially slow if you are trying to line up three dots and a moving target while under stress.

I really love the big dot express sights but I stink with them past 25 yards or when needing real precision. I leaning towards a pair of these for a carry gun than might get some extended range needs for wayward coyotes:

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/special-combinations

Look at the model 433, green tritium, orange outline with a nice fat rear sight.

Last edited by varmintsinc; 05/14/13. Reason: Added model number

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Ameriglo's are good & are what I've been using on my Glocks & it appears they are made by Trijicon.

The dual color #433 you mentioned looks like it would be a good configuration to try.

3-dots don't bother me too much but everyone likes what they like; always pros & cons.

Actually I like CT Lasers & have them on a couple of 1911's.

MM

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Here is a pic of the Tru-glo TFO Sights on my Glock 22

][Linked Image]

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I have TFOs on my Glock 21 and my Kimber Pro Carry. I find them very easy to acquire in good light and can see no difference between TFOs, Mepros or Trijicons when it is really dark. As to confusing the dots I have experienced it myself. That being said, it only happens in almost complete darkness when comparing sights. If I can't see my sights well enough to get them straight I probably can't see enough to shoot anyway.

-Z

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1100mag, 160user, 68 invisible), 14,648 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,217
Posts18,543,734
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.