Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2point Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
My son and I both shoot 30-06 for deer and antelope, his is a 110 savage and mine a ligthweight mark 5 weatheryby. A few years ago when he started hunting I bought 150 grain corelocks and they shot fine out of both guns no problems. The next trip to the range mine would smack the primer it looked hard enough but wouldn't fire. I took my weatherby to a good gunsmith he checked everything out and said it was hitting it a little light but plenty to make it fire, bad box of ammo he thought, so I change to Federal and shoot many boxes and have never had a problem. My son continues with corelocks. So this fall I buy 3 boxs and off to the range we go and first shot a nice big dent in primer and no fire. We sight him in with my federals they shoot well no problem. I take the 3 boxes back to Gart and they tell me they won't take them back, no refunds on ammo. I argue my point and they say I need to call Remington and give me a number. I have my cell phone and call when I get to the car, a disconnected number. I keep the rifles very clean and all misfires were on warm sunny days not -20 below hunting conditions. Anybody else had problems with corelocks.
2point

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like it's just hard primers/weak firing pin springs. That's just my WAG. I've never had a problem with the cheap O remington ammo.

Paul

I can't spell... Deal with it...
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Maybe a case of minimum spec. cases and maximum spec. chambers? I had a Ruger .270 that misfired with a few different brands of factory ammo. After visiting 3 different "gunsmiths" and trying various cures it still misfired. Many don't want to (or can't) REALLY get to the bottom of a problem like this. They try a series of wild azzed guesses (that they charge you for) then, leave you hanging.

I really don't think it's as simple as Remington Corelokt ammo being defective. I'd be leery of any rifle that "just won't fire using brand X ammo". Maybe a chamber cast would help determine the problem.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Try this: if you have a reloading buddy, have him take some of the ammo that did fire out of yoiur sons rifle rifle and have him just neck size it and reload it. If that fires then you have a chamber problem with ammo that has minimum headspace requirements which this ammo may be. If your rifle fires other brands It isnt your rifle that has a problem its the ammo. If the shoulder on the cartridge is not in contact with the shoulder of the chamber then the firing pin is moving it forward and not giving it enough of a hit to fire it. Try the misfire ammo in your sons rifle to see what is happening.

Life is short,paddle hard.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Also,
Running a headspace go guage into the chamber wont tell you if it has a little too much headspace, you need a chamber cast taken and measured. A combination excess headspace and ammo that has a shoulder too short will give you fits. If other brands work, just use them. Remington may have made a batch of ammo that has short shoulders which combines with a little extra headspace is probably what is happening here.

Life is short,paddle hard.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Several of us that hunt together bought quite a few boxes of Rem 30-06 and 30-30 ammo from walmart. 3or 4 would go off out of each box. I dont think you could have got the rest to go off with a center punch and a ball peen hammer. We sent them back to Remington by way of a FFL who was having the same problems with their ammo. We were refunded. It took a while to get it though. Doubt that your rifles are at fault.........

Hang on tight !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 79 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.