Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
75gr. A-Maxes
[Linked Image]

40 gr BT's
[Linked Image]

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What's it do when you stretch it to 100?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are drawbacks that COULD exist with those groups..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by aalf

laffin!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

How dare you question my ethics.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Just wait till you see what a little slow twist deuce can do on the killing fields.... laugh

The prairie will be littered with mangled bodies in our wake!!!

All hail the Poobah!!!

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

In all fairness Dave, there looks to be some powder burns on those targets... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

Travis

In all fairness Dave, there looks to be some powder burns on those targets... whistle

Grinin' here.....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
75gr. A-Maxes
[Linked Image]

40 gr BT's
[Linked Image]

Travis

Was that 22-250, or the 223 AI?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Two-Fiddy.

Travis

IC B3

J
JMP Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I'm back --- was visiting family for most of this weekend.

I see a few of you have targeted my comment about potential drawbacks from quicker twists. I'm not saying that a fast twist is gonna blow up your gun --- my larger point is that they are a pain in the butt to tune (and keep in tune) and might not be worth the frustration, especially since the utility is rather limited.

Let's go back to a point I brought up earlier to help look at this issue from a different perspective --- IF the high velocity, fast twist .224 utopia is correct, namely that it allows you to shoot longer aerodynamic bullets accurately AS WELL AS lighter (all the up to 40grs) bullets well, then why are almost all of the factory 22 varmint rifles (outside of some 223s and a few fast twist 22-250 savage offerings) chambered with 1-14 and 1-12 tubes?? What about all of the custom rifles built with 1-14s? Or the fact that Jim Carmichael and Fred Huntington choose the 1-16 twist when developing the versions of the22 CHeetah so they could push bullet fast AND accurately? There has to more to the argument than "you'all are dumbasses that just haven't seen the light yet"! What else do you have?

I appreciate all of the positive 223 and 223 AI stories, but they really have no point in this thread b/c they don't qualify as LARGE VOLUME 22 cartridges. Based on my experience with fast twist calibers (22, 6mm, 7mm) when you push a big VLD style bullets in the 2750 to 3150fps range you don't run into some of the difficulties (bullets blowing up and weird pressure spikes that cause primer piercing, blown primers and thrown shots). I guess all of the 223 heavy bullet success stories really serve to validate my point. I'm not saying that a fast twist 22-250 slinging 80 bergers is a lost cause but shooters need to know that a walk down that path might be littered with thorns.

JP

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It would behoove you to go back and read the thread.

MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nahhhhhh...his mind was made up with the OP....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JMP
I'm back --- was visiting family for most of this weekend.

I see a few of you have targeted my comment about potential drawbacks from quicker twists. I'm not saying that a fast twist is gonna blow up your gun --- my larger point is that they are a pain in the butt to tune (and keep in tune) and might not be worth the frustration, especially since the utility is rather limited.

Let's go back to a point I brought up earlier to help look at this issue from a different perspective --- IF the high velocity, fast twist .224 utopia is correct, namely that it allows you to shoot longer aerodynamic bullets accurately AS WELL AS lighter (all the up to 40grs) bullets well, then why are almost all of the factory 22 varmint rifles (outside of some 223s and a few fast twist 22-250 savage offerings) chambered with 1-14 and 1-12 tubes?? What about all of the custom rifles built with 1-14s? Or the fact that Jim Carmichael and Fred Huntington choose the 1-16 twist when developing the versions of the22 CHeetah so they could push bullet fast AND accurately? There has to more to the argument than "you'all are dumbasses that just haven't seen the light yet"! What else do you have?

I appreciate all of the positive 223 and 223 AI stories, but they really have no point in this thread b/c they don't qualify as LARGE VOLUME 22 cartridges. Based on my experience with fast twist calibers (22, 6mm, 7mm) when you push a big VLD style bullets in the 2750 to 3150fps range you don't run into some of the difficulties (bullets blowing up and weird pressure spikes that cause primer piercing, blown primers and thrown shots). I guess all of the 223 heavy bullet success stories really serve to validate my point. I'm not saying that a fast twist 22-250 slinging 80 bergers is a lost cause but shooters need to know that a walk down that path might be littered with thorns.

JP

Both the groups I posted involved zero load development. Matter of fact, the 40's weren't even loaded for the tube I'm using. They were remnants from the old tube. The 75's went sub-moa on the first try.

I'm inclined to say your one fast twist 22 cal build was a dog. That, or mine is just a gem.

Travis

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by JMP

JP

You truly are Don's offspring.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
JMP Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Who is Don? I'm not being a smartass either --- I don't understand your reference. I take it I agree with some other idiot out there smile smile

JP

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What does Field & Stream say about it?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
JMP Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
My fast twist 22br shot several 1/4inch 3 shot groups. It is ingrained in my blood to only accept at least 5 shot groups as proof of a rifle's potential. Guess what?...those 3 shot groups got bigger, often a lot bigger. I'll see if I can find those groups to email pics of.

JP

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
What happens when you run cast out of these fast twists in .224?

Is say, 3K going to make them mist? Do the groups hollow out?

Of course if I found fault with the twist of the tube first, I'd have been miles ahead from the sounds of it.... whistle

If the bullet cannot stay in balance without coddling, that's a bullet balance limit, not a twist issue, although a slower twist mitigates this. Its still an issue of a manufactured balance limit or imbalanced reloading.

The funny thing is, a lot of thin jacketed bullets meant for 1-16 to 1-12 twist small capacity cases don't run well in large capacity 22's with the same twists at far greater speeds; Bullets Huntington and others used were susceptible to this.

They might have great precision at 3,400 fps from a 1-14 twist, but a 70gr. BR bullet made with hand equipment isn't made for 4,000 fps anymore than they are made to excel in a 6MM Navy...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your experience is with one fast twist .224?? How do you know your gun just was not a POS? 100 yards does not impress me much.

Last edited by EddyBo; 05/19/13.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,632
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.