Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by atvalaska
do not sandwich the ply wood to the joist = waste of time and adds 0 to the spanabilty! your 2x6 construction in weak...u need to run a header board and split that span in 1/2.. ..not enough space for a wood beam then move to steel. add- any flex in the floor is going to make cracks in the tile joints... tgi/bci's only add stiffness > as there height increases u can sandwich all day and do yourself no good.

Seems like this would be the best option. You've gotta jack it all up anyway, fix the problem instead of putting a bandaid on it.

This is your solution. A sandwiched 2X6 will help in some spots but not in others due to the nature of imperfectly straight lumber. A perpendicular beam mid span will give more support overall even if you have to dig on either end to install and dig an access hole also.

You can buy a device designed for this. It is a steel post with a screw jack on the end like on top of a hydraulic jack. For the beam I would use a 6" thick lam beam or steel I beam for it's straightness.

If you are less than 18" off the ground, I wouldn't spend any big money on anything because rot will eventually destroy it anyway. Just put enough into it to enjoy it while you can(best option) or go big and have a professional jack up the whole structure then reinforce the floor.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's what I read:

2 related problems:

1) The 2x6s on 16" centers used as the floor joints for support are/were too small from the get go.

2) Some are now sagging which probably has negatively effected the plywood flooring contact.

Both reduce the floor loading which now you want to increase with the addition of slate tiles.

The best solution, as I suspect you know, is to redo the entire foor before adding the new slate tile. Cause if you don't, you run the risk of more sagging and having too fix it ($$,$$$) again.

If you could add both the center supports with the sistering to the joints you could get away OK. IMO, I don't think just center supports or Just sistering either alone is going to work.

Last edited by RaySendero; 05/20/13.

Ray
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I was thinking along the same lines-if space permits, go with a deeper joist like a 2x10 or even 2x12. I will differ with you on the notching, though. I'd recommend either not notching the deeper joist, or, using hangers or possibly a ledger board to support the bottom of the new joist to eliminate the possibility of a longitudinal crack occurring at the mouth of the notch in the new, deeper joist.

If plywood is used to sister the joists, be sure and use something that is moisture resistant, such as marine or maybe just treated plywood to resist de-lamination due to moisture.

Agreed on the notching. Just throwing the option out there depending on the support condition.

Last edited by darrenk75b; 05/20/13.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd dig a couple of footings, and beam the sob at the half point.

Easy peasy, no hassleasy. smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
the deflection is too great for slate using 2x6's simple as that. 2 layers of 3/4" ply aren't helping you any either.

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atvalaska
do not sandwich the ply wood to the joist = waste of time and adds 0 to the spanabilty! your 2x6 construction in weak...u need to run a header board and split that span in 1/2.. ..not enough space for a wood beam then move to steel. add- any flex in the floor is going to make cracks in the tile joints... tgi/bci's only add stiffness > as there height increases.... u can sandwich all day and do yourself no good.

atv has it figured out. Split the span.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm with the "split the span" crowd, a treated 4X6 with the tall dimension vertical, even just blocked with patio blocks every couple of feet will do a bunch more than scabbing on the plywood. Does your crawl space get exposed to freezing? If so you might want to dig a trench, back fill with gravel to build your supports on top of.

They make a concrete "footing" block for under decks, that might fit the bill.

This way you can string line your timber and jack where needed blocking as you go. You can also go back underneath and add blocking later if settlement occurs.

I'm afraid the scabbing will create the opportunity for moisture in between the pieces to help rot the 2X6's over time.

All the form loading books, I've got a shelf full of them, are for "short term use", something long term like a floor joist is different.

Shortening the span is the answer.

My 2 Cents,
Mike

Last edited by morecowbell; 05/20/13.

Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
Thor Heyerdahl
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Let me try to explain what I'm working with here and perhaps that will help to clarify.

What started off as a simple Shack for hunting, ended up growing and growing to what it is now, more or less my home.

It started as 6, 6x6 treated posts, sunk 48" into the ground, on 8' centers. 6x6x16 beams laid across the posts and 7'-4" treated 2x6 joists were spanned between the 6x6 beams and hung with joist hangers. The outer spans between the beams are spanned with 2x12s. The rest is pretty standard, 2x4 walls, etc.

Eventually, two more identical spans were added with the 6x6 posts and beams with the 2x6 joists running in between. Total size is now 24'x16'.

The cabin is built on a slight slope, downhill at an angle from one corner to the opposite corner. The low corner has the joists approximately 16-18" off the ground, the high corner is about 36".

Everything under the subfloor is treated and the posts are soaked each spring with a petrolium/tar solution. The joists, beams, posts, and ground beneith are bone dry, no water runs underneith, even during a downpour, so whoever mentioned rot, i dont think its gonna happen, at least not in my lifetime.

As far as the suggestion to split the span, i agree, and wish it were that easy, but its not. There would be no way to dig deep enough to get under the frost line while under there to install posts to support a cross beam.

Sistering with deeper 2x's (say, 2x10s) is certainly do-able, as someone suggested, but other than screwing and gluing to the existing 2x6, i have no way to attach the ends of the 2x10s to the 6x6 crossbeams, aside from toenailing them in on the upper half of the 2x10?

I hope that clears things up a little. Maybe itll help you to guide me to a fix to this dilemma. If need be i could snap.some photos or a drawing to help to explain the existing structure.

Last edited by J23; 05/20/13.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
u still have to split it ... u could put in two concrete pads for footings and place the "screw jack post" on top they do make Simpson strong tie face hangers that would work ...u have to order them in...as they are not joe homeowner items.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by J23
...Sistering with deeper 2x's (say, 2x10s) is certainly do-able...

A complete waste of time and materials.

Since it stays dry, don't worry about the frost line. Just get something underneath to split the span.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 163bc, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,539
Posts18,509,962
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.