Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
couple hunting seasons ago i was introduced to them cause a friend of a friend that came out here had one of their spotting scopes and was impressed with it and wound up stealing it for the weekend laugh so last year i bought one, wasnt the high end model the other guy had but it was a hell of a step up from the cheap arse one i had been using....

last summer my wife picked up a Vortex rifle scope that she liked for her 7-08 and i was pissed cause it was clearer than my Leupold i paid $100 more for....and last week we won a Vortex 1000 Rangefinder and Diamondback 10x42 Binocular.....once again impressed with them for the price tag that was on the box....

while i dont have any high end glass to compare them to they seem to be a hell of a value on the lower end of the scale atleast.....we will see how they hold up to me beating the hell out of them tossing them in and out of the truck, im real hard on equipment crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to agree with ya. I picked up a PST 1-4 for my ar15 and at the range the other day I was able to compare it to the Leupold 1-3 close quarters scope. Can't remember the exact name but in clarity and eye relief the Vortex was 10X the scope.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
unfortunately i dont have a ton of spare cash, would really love to do more head to head comparisons but cant swing it.....even my wifes Vortex to my Leupold isnt a good head to head as they are two very different scopes.....hoping they stand up to the abuse my leupolds have taken, if they dont then there is no point....was kinda nice to win the binocs and range finder as im not out anything really to mess with them....and with the spotting scope my previous one was a bottom rung one so anything was an improvement.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same warranty as Leupold so enjoy

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a nomad spotter from Doug and for $200 it's a damn good piece of glass. 20-30+ is great, north of 40 it starts to get a little grainy and at 60 you need to be right on your target but damn for the money I am very pleased.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am surprised by vortex scopes as well.....surprised that everyone I get is a piece of crap. I bought two of their lower priced scopes as gifts a while back. One will not adjust left or right at all. You can spin the dial and the crosshairs do not move. One has dials that are acceptable as far as movement is concerned, but when you dial it you cannot tell when the scope is truely bottomed out. About 1/2 way through every revolution of the dial it gets so damn hard to turn I keep thinking it is bottomed out. I think I am done with vortex. I will take a zeiss conquest or any luepy over them anyday.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EddyBo
I am surprised by vortex scopes as well.....surprised that everyone I get is a piece of crap. I bought two of their lower priced scopes as gifts a while back. One will not adjust left or right at all. You can spin the dial and the crosshairs do not move. One has dials that are acceptable as far as movement is concerned, but when you dial it you cannot tell when the scope is truely bottomed out. About 1/2 way through every revolution of the dial it gets so damn hard to turn I keep thinking it is bottomed out. I think I am done with vortex. I will take a zeiss conquest or any luepy over them anyday.

Did you call Vortex and send them back?
I have a Crossfire II on a CZ 455, the bottom of their line that had parallax problems and it took them less then 2 weeks to fix and return it. Very pleasant people to deal with and no questions asked

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
Originally Posted by EddyBo

Did you call Vortex and send them back?
I have a Crossfire II on a CZ 455, the bottom of their line that had parallax problems and it took them less then 2 weeks to fix and return it. Very pleasant people to deal with and no questions asked

No I live near a very large internet retailer who also has a showroom. I buy a lot of glass from them, they will replace or refund with no questions and scope I buy from them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How are they holding up on some heavy-hitters?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if it is made in china I won't buy it....if given the choice

Last edited by eh76; 05/22/13. Reason: you putzs happy now?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I remember couple yrs ago Vortex donated optics to a kid or some kind of fundraiser offered here on 24hr.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by eh76
if it is made in china I won't buy it.

What type of electronic device did you just type that on?

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A philco I reckon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My son just shot a Kodiak brown bear last week with my PST 1-4 on a 375Ackley and loved it. Second brown bear Vortex knows of shot using that model and second one using that exact scope.

This particular rifle has maximum cast and does not come up hard, but rather turns you a little when you shoot. He was impressed with seeing hair and blood spray off the back side when he shot. At less than 75 yards it was pretty impressive.

Recoil is there with the rifle, but it is not terrible. There have been well over 100 rounds through it with the Vortex without issue.

The TMCQ reticle is a winner, too.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jryoung
Originally Posted by eh76
if it is made in china I won't buy it.

What type of electronic device did you just type that on?

my iphone which actually has a made in usa sticker on it

if given the choice on any item I will buy American made...that okay with you putzs?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
My son just shot a Kodiak brown bear last week with my PST 1-4 on a 375Ackley and loved it. Second brown bear Vortex knows of shot using that model and second one using that exact scope.

This particular rifle has maximum cast and does not come up hard, but rather turns you a little when you shoot. He was impressed with seeing hair and blood spray off the back side when he shot. At less than 75 yards it was pretty impressive.

Recoil is there with the rifle, but it is not terrible. There have been well over 100 rounds through it with the Vortex without issue.

The TMCQ reticle is a winner, too.

I'm sure you emailed them and made sure they knew all the details......you ever give that guy's stock back?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of my friends that have had to send 3 or 4 of them back aren't impressed.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am five for five without a hitch and a lot of rounds through them...

What sorts of complaints did they have and how many scopes did they go through for that many problems? That seems way out from my personal experience...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not require or expect much out of cheaper scopes, but I require more than vortex cheap offerings are giving. I suspect that some of the higher end VV scopes are better, or they would not still be cranking them out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When a paying Campfire supporter/advertiser is a Vortex dealer and sponsors his on forum, I guess it don't hurt to send a little business his way.

If you are in fact surprised by Vortex Optics, you will soon enter a state of hysterical rapture, be completely swooned by a Simmons wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 48 invisible), 2,137 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,547
Posts18,531,369
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.