Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
But I admit that conditions ain't too harsh here in NC.

I need to take you beaver hunting.

The four legged kind, ya gutter minded bastage.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Got that going on right now. Family farm I hunt is covered up in them. Kill one, and six will come to the funeral and decide to stay. Looking for some of Dupont's finest. May have to get Crossfire's gopher medicine recipe.

Four leg or two leg, they are both pretty tough.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Helped a guy out with his beaver problem.

Wrecked the dam by hand, then came back at dusk with a SxS.

Nibbled away at them but ultimately, he had to get a trapper.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Doing same and using a spot light. Hornet is skookum. I think that's probably where we are headed, but not until deer season is out. The owner got his old Cat dozer stuck trying to wreck one of the dams and is waiting on a hard freeze to get it out. Makes a pretty good shooting platform.

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update. Customer Service at Bushnell followed up with a phone call with someone a tad more informed. I was advised that they are aware of this issue with the scope covers and that they were currently working on revamping the construction to make an improvement so to correct the problem. It appears that enough were breaking under warranty that it got their attention. Not sure if and when a change will be made, but they will probably note the improvement with some sort of press release.

As to the tactical flex caps, they are a different line all together and are unrelated to any changes that may take place with the standard flip caps. I was given the current sizes, so I'll share them with you guys:

Eye 13-14 fits 1.570" to 1.605"
Eye 16-18 fits 1.660" to 1.700"
Obj 25-27 fits 1.800" to 1.840"
Obj 28-29 fits 1.890" to 1.919"
Obj 43-44 fits 2.310" to 2.360"

My replacements should be here within a week, but I've kinda lost faith in the product and they'll probably sit unused. Looked on the shelf and noticed I had an old "Ted Williams" labeled scope that I took off a Sears and Roebuck mauser, and it was wearing an old rubber Bikini cover that must be 25 years old. It has found a new home on my S&B until I can find something I like better.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This is about the time that Boxer shows up to tell all of you guys you're a bunch of [bleep] because he uses BC covers in the harshest possible conditions and they've never failed him. Wait for it...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used them for years and liked them, especially in the dusty conditions of S. TX.
Most of them have broken and not replaced. Luckily, an inner tube is one size fits all.

stumpy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
scope coat, not quick but very effective

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just an update: Bushnell sent replacement covers well packaged in a box free of any charge. I am hesitant, however, at using these covers being they so easily break. They'll probably just sit on the shelf for now. Hopefully Bushnell will come out with the improved cover this spring and maybe they'll swap out my crappy covers for the better ones. Meantime, I've got the bikini cover over the lenses.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
It may sound silly, but the Alumina Flip-Ups are a big reason I continue to choose Leupold for my hunting rifles.

IC B3

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I mostly use LEU scopes and all but the old models have Alumina covers. I wish they'd work on my S&B, they are my favorites.

- Clint Eastwood
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
GaryVA: I also am not pleased with the Butler Creek scope covers.
But my concerns are based on their basic functions as opposed to them breaking.
I probably have 25 sets of them on various Rifle and pistol scopes.
My problem with them (and it has been evident since day one!) is that when I am carrying my Rifle over a shoulder the covers unlatch themselves and the rain or snow or dust gathers on my lenses until I notice the open covers and then must stop and clean and relatch them.
They are a wonderful idea (IMHO) but they all to often open themselves up and defeat their purpose.
I firmly believe the Karum-ba style covers (of which I still have many) offer more and more consistent protection from the various elements I am trying to protect my lenses from!
I have no solid suggestions for the Butler Creek folks from my experiences except to make the "latching" systems stronger of make the latching releases somehow protected from accidental opening.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For many years I used Storm Queen scope covers and loved them. But, like many other "low tech" items that works well, they are no longer available.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Should have known better, but I used the Butler Creek covers Bushnell sent me to replace the broken set. The new ones lasted just over a day before the rear broke merely from fliping up. Just like the last set noted in this thread, shoddy construction, nothing solid, just about every spare spec of plastic shaved from the joint. I know Bushnell claims quality fell and they are working on improving construction, but I wish they'd stop stalling and just get production fixed. I've always liked those covers and it pains me to see Bushnell running them into the ground. Let's see if Customer Service has any updates.

Best smile

edit to add:

2A-OBJ and the 18-EYE

Last edited by GaryVA; 05/13/13.

- Clint Eastwood
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
I never have liked BC covers anyway.
Just give me the bikinis or the Devcon Scope Coat style and I'm good.

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Customer service has a replacement cover sent out in the mail, delivery expected 7 - 10 days. As before, the guy told me that Bushnell is well aware of the issue as they are currently replacing broken covers hand over fist. He could not offer any updates on an improvement other than they were working on making a production change to improve the product. Said they would probably make a press release when and if this took place. I've lost faith in the current product, it is fragile as an egg. I still have an old original set that still work like new after many, many years of hard use. I suspect that the old covers were made solid without any voids in the joint.

Best smile

- Clint Eastwood
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Since all these flip-up scope covers leak anyway, it's a mystery to me why guys keep buying them. The bikini covers, or even a scrounged strip of inner tube, work vastly better. And much cheaper too....

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
inner tubes do not 'work vastly better'. they leak too and are slower to deploy.. i've used 'em for years before i started buyin' the BC caps. Alumina caps are the ultimate, BC for the masses, and i'll not use bikini/inner tube covers again.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
i cant believe a US company hasnt made some good flip covers. sick of this China crap

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
When is the new tactical flip cap coming out, that is pictured above?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (16penny, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,318
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.