Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by achadwick
If it starts threads like a troll, agitates like a troll, and writes like a troll, it's a TROLL. At least on this subject, anyway.

Yea, this was a troll post.

To all you reasonable moderates out there....Sorry couldn't resist. Should of been titled for the Young Earth Creationist.

The young earth creationist? There's more than one on this board. There are probably quite a few of us.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
We live in a country where we are free to believe or not believe as we choose.
I have not tried to antagonize you or call you out for your beliefs, why do you feel the need to deny me the same?

I could not care less if you believe in the great pumpkin or choose to hold dear to your own toe nail clippings. Please allow me to believe in God.

Originally Posted by Scott F

I see you changed the subject of your OP but still will not give me the courtesy of a reply.

Scott, yes, we live in a great country where we can believe as we choose. No one can allow, or disallow your belief except you, but we can also debate those beliefs in the market place of idea's. How you choose to react to different ideas is your choice. I do enjoy a good debate and the fire has some very skilled apologist.

The original post is a picture of actual British currency, and an invitation for Christians to react. Yes I was interested in how Christians choose to react, and wanted to see where it would go. I was expecting a condemnation of the Brit.gov, or a proclamation about how it was a sign of the apocalypse. Within 7 posts someone had linked it to our founding Rights. Certainly more interesting then anything I expected.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
antelope_sniper,

From what I heard in a lecture the science community originally rejected Darwin's theory but the church wrapped loving arms around it. He is buried in a church in England!

Yes the Catholic Church acknowledges evolution, but you don't survive almost 2000 years without flexing with the times. They will continue to flex and survive.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by HawkI
Weather they are God given or not, .gov is trying to take them away, and with every .gov success we have no one to blame but ourselves....

I'm glad to know your confusion of the weather is akin to "whether or nots".

Every .gov "success" is banked upon the inability of sources to alone acknowledge, let alone spell and enunciate the general "WTF" we are talking about.

Don't ever confuse .gov with "We The People"; at least know how to distinguish such.

You want blame?

"Weather they are God given or not" pretty much spells (and misspells) the doubt and idiocy from which your lack of conviction and any form of solid ground is based.

KMA, but your "representation" is a joke since you have no basis, historical or personal, in anything you are arguing for or about...

I'd tell you to get some religion, but your desire to expound on behalf of its benefits far outweighs your understanding of its source.

You practice the right, yet you loathe its source....

Stellar.

Hawk, we just disagree on the source. Where you choose to credit God, I credit the original 5000 Patriots, and all those since, who sanctified those rights with the gift of their blood.

In either event, I hope we can agree on the need for vigilance if we wish to preserve those right.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 05/25/13.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ok, fine.

Please show me some proof out of those 5,000 that were giving of their lives to propagate Allah, Buddha or any un-named benevolence that they shed blood for.

You can't.

The notion of a natural law and its deity will lead you to an isolated source every time and the rights from such will be even less pronounced.

The realization of liberty ALWAYS comes from patriots, but the notion that patriots are produced in a statist vacuum is the foundation of commies, not free people.

Your yearning for a lack of a Creator (in deflection of human sacrifice) predisposes yourself.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Ok, fine.

Please show me some proof out of those 5,000 that were giving of their lives to propagate Allah, Buddha or any un-named benevolence that they shed blood for.

You can't.

The notion of a natural law and its deity will lead you to an isolated source every time and the rights from such will be even less pronounced.

The realization of liberty ALWAYS comes from patriots, but the notion that patriots are produced in a statist vacuum is the foundation of commies, not free people.

Your yearning for a lack of a Creator (in deflection of human sacrifice) predisposes yourself.

Hawk, with the 5k I was referring our approximate number of battle field deaths during the Revolution. Since the forces were almost entirely Christian on both sides, I'm not sure how a war with Christians killing Christians supports the hypothesis that our rights derive from God?

Of course I may be totally misreading you....

As for a "yearning for a lack of a Creator", it's not about what I want, or what I yearn for, it's about what the evidence supports. IMO the evidence for a Creator is absent.

As I understand your position, all rights are derived from the Christian God. So, is a Christian Society a necessary condition for a free people?

And if it is necessary, is it also sufficient?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Might I suggest "The Art of Power", a book about Thomas Jefferson.

The evidence of a Creator, and creations, are all around you and its not surprising that people like yourself are so far away from the dirt that these very evident things that took thousands of years to freely secure are suddenly "absent", or never existed.

Jefferson was not a fan of one organized religion, but he found enough evidence to base a government upon the Judeo-Christian tennants. It allows people to be self-governing.

What is necessary condition is that free people have a cohesiveness, and a general like minded notion of their laws; ours happen to be Judeo-Christian, and it wasn't by accident.

Now if we were all muslim, there would obviously NOT be a notion that anyone is remotely equal and the idea of such wouldn't be entertained.

Which is why we left a Crown to begin with.....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
. . the Catholic Church acknowledges evolution, but you don't survive almost 2000 years without flexing with the times. They will continue to flex and survive.

A couple quick points:

The Roman Catholic denomination, along with many Christians of other denominations, acknowledges Evolution.

The RCC was founded in 1054 AD.

Most, not all, Christian objection to "Evolution" is not to evolution per se but to Philosophical Materialism disguised as Science. The most that Science can say is "we think this is what happened." Science cannot say "why" nor can Science say whether the process was intelligently directed or not. As soon as so-called Science speculates or opines beyond "what," it is no long Science but rather is Metaphysics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another log for the fire--- When was the Beginning?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Might I suggest "The Art of Power", a book about Thomas Jefferson.

The evidence of a Creator, and creations, are all around you and its not surprising that people like yourself are so far away from the dirt that these very evident things that took thousands of years to freely secure are suddenly "absent", or never existed.

Jefferson was not a fan of one organized religion, but he found enough evidence to base a government upon the Judeo-Christian tennants. It allows people to be self-governing.

What is necessary condition is that free people have a cohesiveness, and a general like minded notion of their laws; ours happen to be Judeo-Christian, and it wasn't by accident.

Now if we were all muslim, there would obviously NOT be a notion that anyone is remotely equal and the idea of such wouldn't be entertained.

Which is why we left a Crown to begin with.....

Hawk, Thanks for the clarification on that date, but I thought it was still effectively the same organization that was in charge of the Council of Nicaea in 325CE?

You make some good points. I acknowledge that I am of Judeo-Christian values, and those values were the core around which our Republic coalesced. Of course we've seen the formation of other non-Christian republics, the Greeks, the Romans, and we draw heavily from those values and philosophies as well. England presented a fairly unique set a circumstances that lead to the English Civil War, and our Independence. In many ways I'm beginning to believe the Reformation was more important to the development of our understanding of our rights then Christianity itself.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm a young earth (old religion) creationist.

After all, we are endowed by our CREATOR, certain inalienable rights.

I guess if you don't connoiter such you should quit posting First Amendment rights and go straight to hell or muzzie....

I am not a young earth Creationist because it cannot be squared with the scientific evidence. I am, however, a Creationist in that I believe the earth and Universe were created by a superior intelligence. Intelligent design is much more consistent with the available scientific evidence than is neo-Darwinism and scientific naturalism.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Olaf
. . the Catholic Church acknowledges evolution, but you don't survive almost 2000 years without flexing with the times. They will continue to flex and survive.

A couple quick points:

The Roman Catholic denomination, along with many Christians of other denominations, acknowledges Evolution.

The RCC was founded in 1054 AD.

Most, not all, Christian objection to "Evolution" is not to evolution per se but to Philosophical Materialism disguised as Science. The most that Science can say is "we think this is what happened." Science cannot say "why" nor can Science say whether the process was intelligently directed or not. As soon as so-called Science speculates or opines beyond "what," it is no long Science but rather is Metaphysics.

The Catholic chuch does not acknowledge the truth of the all-important, central tenant of evolution, namely that man is an ephiphenomenon of matter. That is, a being without a non-material (spiritual) essence. The Church says that teaching of evolution is incompatible with the truth about man. This is the all-important qualifier that everyone leaves out of the discussion when they try to invoke the authority of Catholicism in support of Darwinism.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
. . In many ways I'm beginning to believe the Reformation was more important to the development of our understanding of our rights then Christianity itself.

Like Christ's robe, history is a seamless garment. As I see it, here are the great, watershed events that have formed our world today:

1. The codification of the Moral Law at Sinai

2. Jesus Christ

3. The Protestant Reformation

4. The American Revolution

The Protestant Reformation unleashed individual conscience, and the American Revolution is the Reformation written politically.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RobJordan
The Catholic chuch does not acknowledge the truth of the all-important, central tenant of evolution, namely that man is an ephiphenomenon of matter. That is, a being without a non-material (spiritual) essence. The Church says that teaching of evolution is incompatible with the truth about man. This is the all-important qualifier that everyone leaves out of the discussion when they try to invoke the authority of Catholicism in support of Darwinism.

Jordan

Thanks, Jordan, but the notion that man is an epiphenomenon of matter is not Evolution, and it is not Science, it is Philosophical Materialism.

The Roman denomination as well as many other Christians acknowledge that Christian dogma is not necessarily in conflict with Darwin's theory of the descent of species.

All Darwinism can say, at best, is "this is how it happened" in the same way that Science can say this is how a tree grows. Darwinism can say nothing about origins and nothing about whether the process was intelligently directed or not.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by KR13
Another log for the fire--- When was the Beginning?
That was a rather nice summation of the Pre-Adamite creation. I'll enjoy looking at it more closely when I have the time. Thanks for posting it.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
interesting discussions, y'all. and i note noone "yet" has threatened to pull a machete on a proponent of a competing idea.

beyond that, not often mentioned in the Baptist Churches in which i have been a member, is the possible reality that God (YHWH?) blew through sevearl Pre-Admaic attempts at Creation prior to Creation catching hold, and gaining a breeding population of humans.

what i want to know is did Adam and Eve have a belly-button, or not?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Gus
beyond that, not often mentioned in the Baptist Churches in which i have been a member, is the possible reality that God (YHWH?) blew through sevearl Pre-Admaic attempts at Creation prior to Creation catching hold, and gaining a breeding population of humans.

Are you on dope?

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
do you know if Adam & Eve had a belly-button, or not? either one?

who was it that said religion is the opium of the masses? i can't remember. sorry.

maybe some erudite members of the rdrshp will enighten us?

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Olaf
. . In many ways I'm beginning to believe the Reformation was more important to the development of our understanding of our rights then Christianity itself.

Like Christ's robe, history is a seamless garment. As I see it, here are the great, watershed events that have formed our world today:

1. The codification of the Moral Law at Sinai

2. Jesus Christ

3. The Protestant Reformation

4. The American Revolution

The Protestant Reformation unleashed individual conscience, and the American Revolution is the Reformation written politically.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

the atomic bomb, the hydrogen bomb, the computer, the internet, space travel to the moon, and Mars. a breedable human population off-Earth. as ol Bob Dylan sayed, the times, they are a-changing.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Gus
. . who was it that said religion is the opium of the masses? i can't remember. sorry.

maybe some erudite members of the rdrshp will enighten us?

Whoever said it (Marx, I think), it's a stupid assertion.

Religion, in its broadest meaning is:

The word religion is sometimes used interchangeably with faith or belief system . .

RELIGION: noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe,

Definition of RELIGION
4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

In short, everyone is "religious" in that everyone has a belief system in terms of which they interpret life, the cosmos, and more.

What's really meant by the stupid statement is that "belief in God is the opiate of the masses." What the poor simpleton who made the statement doesn't realize that he too is a "believer"�he "believes" God doesn't exist�every bit as much as others believe differently. All of us are believers.

Really too stupid for much comment. God is either there or He isn't . . believe what you will. It's all a matter of belief. Period.

Pay your money and take your chances.

Last edited by Olaf; 05/26/13.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 35WhelenNut, 11 invisible), 860 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,901
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.