Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
While an extremely good guess it is actually a washed-out photo of a piece of cherry crotch wood table top.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Cool! Nice bear. How about that bullet. Makes you wonder just what happened.Congrats and thanks for the story. Enjoyed it and the pics.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the great story and pictures. And congrats all the way around.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Well done, Riley! I think we saw forty some-odd bears in our few days in there! We only saw one big one and that was way up high on top the first day! Some day I will have to go back with a bear tag in hand!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Dennis
Didn't we have a really big bear swim right in front of the boat from Hellgeson's to Uganik Island?
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don't remember that. Maybe, but we saw a really big one up on the top that first day that we went out. Obvious big boar. We saw tons on the beach I remember.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Klik
Thinking you just pierced the void...

[Linked Image]

Those regular marks I was asking about which still show plainly on the lead were likely part of the inside
surface of the jacket to keep them together???
art

My vote is for a 357 Mag fired 180 JSP or JHP. More of a JSP thought being I've seen hollow points slammed into fairly hard object and they splatter and almost mushroom right through themselves. JSP's will deform more but not peel back as violently. A lot separate from the jackets though when hitting hard things like bear skulls.

Great story and pics... congrats and the extra bullet adds some fun and character to the story.

Last edited by brinky72; 06/19/13.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I don't remember that. Maybe, but we saw a really big one up on the top that first day that we went out. Obvious big boar. We saw tons on the beach I remember.

Must have been a different group... We usually see a LOT of bears through there.

Terror Bay is not a bad choice for a Kodiak bear hunt... and being a nonresident you do not even have to wait to draw like we do...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by brinky72
Klik
Thinking you just pierced the void...

[Linked Image]

Those regular marks I was asking about which still show plainly on the lead were likely part of the inside
surface of the jacket to keep them together???
art

My vote is for a 357 Mag fired 180 JSP or JHP. More of a JSP thought being I've seen hollow points slammed into fairly hard object and they splatter and almost mushroom right through themselves. JSP's will deform more but not peel back as violently. A lot separate from the jackets though when hitting hard things like bear skulls.

Great story and pics... congrats and the extra bullet adds some fun and character to the story.

Thanks for the comments.

We did not find extra metal in the vicinity of the lead so I assumed there was none. That was almost surely a mistake on my part.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
That was almost surely a mistake on my part.

smile

wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You kinda looked like you peed on the electric fence...

C
C
Had to register just to say thank you for sharing the story. I enjoy living vicariously though the memory you've laid out so nicely. I can smell the salt air, feel a bit of the chill in the air, and the warmth of skinning that bear out. Well done, and congratulations to you and your son!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You kinda looked like you peed on the electric fence...

There's a good chance I did......

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Got the hide back from the tannery yesterday and mentioned the bullet to the tannery guy... The scar from the event is quite visible on the leather side... But Riley then matched it to the outside and found a blonde streak around the bare patch where the scar is.

The tannery did a great job and the leather is very stretchy and the hair is combed out as well as can be expected. Late in the season bears have hair that is starting to matt. Combing it out is too brutal and will pull out most of the hair. All they can do is gently tease it apart and it looks fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You mean they didn't shave all the hair off this time?

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is a cast-on in the stock? By the way awesome bear and great story.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 07/27/13.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
You mean they didn't shave all the hair off this time?

Interestingly enough they did not... Same place the taxidermist claimed the first one went, but I am not thinking it was. Tannery wants to see the shaved bear just out of curiosity...

I still send hides to Alpha because they do a reasonable job quickly and reasonably.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
What is a cast-on in the stock? By the way awesome bear and great story.

Thanks!

When viewed from above the stock is bent toward a right-handed shooter's face. It does not take a lot. This stock is bent about 5/16" at the heel and 1/4" at the toe. It is surprisingly gentle...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Riley having that one rugged? Glad it came back from the tannery alright.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (240NMC, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,281
Posts18,486,813
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.