-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's about like telling a cop not to bother wearing body armor because armor makes him stupid and take unecessary chances, or telling someone not to wear a seat belt because they will drive better knowing they're at greater risk.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My god it worked

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.co...rs-denali-national-park-and-preserve5943

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A grizzly bear that emerged from a thicket and charged two backpackers in the backcountry of Denali National Park and Preserve was shot and killed by one of the two who was carrying a .45-caliber semi-automatic pistol, according to park officials.

The killing Friday is believed to be the first instance of a hiker killing a grizzly in the park's wilderness. The killing occurred in the original Mount McKinley National Park portion of the Denali, which was expanded by two-thirds in 1980.

Until February, when Congress changed the rules, it was illegal to carry a loaded firearm in that portion of Denali. While the rule change now allows hikers to carry firearms in all areas of Denali, it still is illegal to discharge them, park officials said.

Park officials did not speculate whether the killing was justified. This is believed to be the first instance of a visitor to a national park killing an animal with a firearm since the gun regulations were changed.

According to a release from the park, the two backpackers, a man and woman, were hiking in dense brush along the edge of Tattler Creek, which is at the west end of Igloo Canyon roughly 35 miles from the park headquarters.

"The man, who was in the lead, drew a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol when they heard a noise coming from the brush. When the bear emerged from the thicket and ran toward the other hiker, he fired approximately nine rounds in its general direction. The bear stopped, turned, and walked back into the brush, where it quickly disappeared from view," said the release.

The two then headed roughly 1.5 miles back to a road, where they encountered a park employee, who called in the incident and took the two backpackers to the Toklat Road Camp. A ranger there did a short preliminary interview with them at approximately 10:00 p.m. Because of the concern that a wounded bear was in the area, four backcountry units were immediately closed, and bus drivers were instructed to not drop off day hikers in the Igloo Canyon on Saturday.

"Early Saturday morning rangers and wildlife technicians flew to Toklat via helicopter to conduct a secondary interview with the two backpackers. Afterwards they flew over Tattler Creek and all of side tributaries, very low at times, to determine if there was an active, wounded bear," the park release said. "No bears were seen during the overflight, and late in the afternoon three rangers hiked into the site. The bear was found dead in a willow thicket approximately 100 feet from the pistol casings at approximately 6:00 p.m.

"The bear�s body was transported via helicopter to a landing site on the park road and brought back to headquarters on Sunday, where park wildlife biologists are assisting with the investigation of the bear carcass. The backcountry units have been reopened."

The case is still under investigation, and the names of the backpackers are not being released at this time. Park wildlife biologists and rangers are trying to determine if there was a justification for shooting the animal.

The estimated grizzly bear population in the park north of the Alaska Range north is 300-350 animals.

Login or register to post comments

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's impossible John, those bullets just get tangled in their fur. Absolutely zero penetration with that round.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once again guys, no one on here is saying the 45 is ideal, but its better than nothing and with the right load will penetrate. Some of you guys need to do some of your own penetration tests to verify these things for yourselves. You would be amazed at the results. Like too much velocity hinders penetration. Load a hardcast flat meplat to the sweet spot and watch it go. Energy does not transfer to killing power. I find it amazing the amount of animals that were harvested back in the day with the 45 colt, the 45/70, the 450/400 ect... Animals must have evolved with bullet proof skin, they were obviously much easier to kill with the "light loads" before the invention of super velocity. Sheesh

Last edited by gunchamp; 06/10/13.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

+1����

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The Denali hiker cheated, he didn't dump the magazine after four rounds.

But,

"...he fired approximately nine rounds in its general direction..."

Lord help those bears if they ever charge someone with a cool head, and even modest skills with a 1911 handgun.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Until February, when Congress changed the rules, it was illegal to carry a loaded firearm in that portion of Denali. While the rule change now allows hikers to carry firearms in all areas of Denali, it still is illegal to discharge them, park officials said.

They had to point that out, wonder if charges are pending against the guy.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Shhhh, don't anybody tell ppine that people actually used .357s and .45acp's to protect themselves from grizzlies, he might have a coronary. It just can't be so.

(Again, no one on this thread has said either is ideal. What they've said is if that's what you have, they will work with good bullets and proper shot placement.)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Here's an empty can of bear spray. Fell on a rock.

[Linked Image]

Hey, I hadn't considered that. Anything can fail. A premature discharge with a one shot wonder can be a problem.

And didn't Ron Burgundy shoot his eye out with that stuff?

Guess I better stick to pavement where I'm safe. In the city, they all fall to hardball, dontcha know.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 06/10/13.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Colt 1911 and find it to be reliable. Several people have been talking about feeding problems with unusual ammo. When it comes to bear guns, there is no room for reliability issues.
Another reason most experienced bush people carry revolvers or rifles.

If I read your account of Denali correctly, the bear traveled 100 feet from where he was shot without anyone pressing him. So if you shoot a bear at close range, say 20 yards, or 60 feet he has plenty of time to keep coming, kill your ass and keep going before he dies.

Last edited by ppine; 06/10/13.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ppine
I have a Colt 1911 and find it to be reliable. Several people have been talking about feeding problems with unusual ammo. When it comes to bear guns, there is no room for reliability issues.
Another reason most experienced bush people carry revolvers or rifles.

If I read your account of Denali correctly, the bear traveled 100 feet from where he was shot without anyone pressing him. So if you shoot a bear at close range, say 20 yards, or 60 feet he has plenty of time to keep coming, kill your ass and keep going before he dies.

You should do yourself a favor and shut the [bleep] up.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Hey, I hadn't considered that. Anything can fail. A premature discharge with a one shot wonder can be a problem.

And didn't Ron Burgundy shoot his eye out with that stuff?

Guess I better stick to pavement where I'm safe. In the city, they all fall to hardball, dontcha know.

Laughin'. I think bear spray is good, but I was glad to have my handgun that day. I was a ways out from the "safe boundary" of a .45.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by deflave

You should do yourself a favor and shut the [bleep] up.

Travis

No, no, he makes a great point.

Now you have to wield "enough" handgun to DRT a bear.....no mention of placement....odd.

Yeah, maybe he should STFU...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hawk,
thanks
Cheyenne,
I used to live in Laramie. What you call "cowboy guns" are the original military and police guns. Starting with the Colt 1873 peacemaker and the US Cavalry. Then the Colt Service Revolver in WWI. If it weren't for Browning's miraculous design military and police would still be shooting revolvers. Some of them still are.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Cheyenne,
I used to live in Laramie. What you call "cowboy guns" are the original military and police guns. Starting with the Colt 1873 peacemaker and the US Cavalry. Then the Colt Service Revolver in WWI. If it weren't for Browning's miraculous design military and police would still be shooting revolvers. Some of them still are.

This guy is a [bleep] genius.

Travis

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
He's well up in the running for the "Biggest Campfire douche of 2013" award, and we still have over 6 months for him to earn the title.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bear incidents are the last place you want to have to worry about reliability. I like revolvers and lever action rifles.

Must be tough going through life exacly 180 degrees off axis...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This thread is hilarious

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
He's well up in the running for the "Biggest Campfire douche of 2013" award, and we still have over 6 months for him to earn the title.

the year is young

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
the technique is to empty your .45 in the general direction of the bruin
and then run as fast as you can, while screaming like a little girl!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.