Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by SLM
I personally would not buy Ryobi but my foreman has been with me for 6 years with the same set of Ryobi tools. Anybody that would throw him off a job because of his choice in tools is a fool.

The "inexpensive" rifles are not something I'm interested in either,but I dam sure ain't going to judge somebody if its theirs.

It's looking more and more like you are that ryobi wielding renegade. I'll call ryobi in the morning but I'm pretty sure they are going to say if someone believes they have a 6 year old ryobi product it's probably a bosch and the person is illiterate.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would put more stock in the "hunters can't afford the $700+ rifles" theory if most of the ones who were saying that to me weren't driving $60k trucks pulling a trailer with (4) 4 wheelers on it that cost between $3k and $10k each, while driving out to their lease which cost $1k-$5k per year.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alessio
]
Not serious in the least, just enjoying the banter of a forum that doesn't ban people for being jovial. Stunning buck, thanks for sharing the photo. Closest I've come to bagging a deer of that caliber was with a car.

Yugo? wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
One of the most hardcore deep woods Maine hunters I knew repaired Mercedes for a living.The guy would disappear in a canoe to a remote tent camp in northern Maine for two weeks every year...he knew quality.He was also an across the course match shooter..His only BG rifle was a bone stock Rem 721 in 270 Winchester that looked like a tent peg,and I would not want to shoot against Joe with anything... wink

The Rem 721 and 742 are classic Northwoods working guns for a lot of Mainers, not myself included though.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by reelman
Originally Posted by ltppowell
The only thing that matters is the bullet and where you put it.

So Rosie Odonel and Kate Bechansale are the same also?

I don't [bleep] my rifles, that you can't differentiate betwixt a woman and a rifle is telling.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by reelman
Originally Posted by ltppowell
The only thing that matters is the bullet and where you put it.

So Rosie Odonel and Kate Bechansale are the same also?

I don't [bleep] my rifles, that you can't differentiate betwixt a woman and a rifle is telling.

I'm confused. Are you [bleep] Rosie Odonel?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No, I wouldn't touch your sister.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by NathanL
I would put more stock in the "hunters can't afford the $700+ rifles" theory if most of the ones who were saying that to me weren't driving $60k trucks pulling a trailer with (4) 4 wheelers on it that cost between $3k and $10k each, while driving out to their lease which cost $1k-$5k per year.

reminds me of when I lived in WV. The good old boy would be wearing $250 boots, driving a jacked up 30K truck, shooting a Win 70, and he would "justify his poaching by saying, "but ah'm just tryin' to feed mah family..."

Aim for the exit hole.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
There are definitely LOTS of poor folks out here in the sticks. Most drive rusted out 15 year old trucks, don't own a 4 wheeler and live in run down old trailers. The average yearly income of these folks is well under 30,000 annually {median HOUSEHOLD income is 33,000] and they've never even dreamed of owning a 60,000 dollar truck. Yeah, a 700.00 rifle is expensive.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Originally Posted by NathanL

reminds me of when I lived in WV. The good old boy would be wearing $250 boots, driving a jacked up 30K truck, shooting a Win 70, and he would "justify his poaching by saying, "but ah'm just tryin' to feed mah family..."

Amen to this... sick

I am with you both on this. There is just no justification and by no means is a 250 pound man with a beer between his legs starving. The sad part is the meat is probably going bad in his freezer anyway

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Was reading this post last night and decided to circle back with a couple thoughts:

1. I personally appreciate the class act of most on the Fire here - posters like BobinNH and BC30 set a great tone. I'll b*tch and bellyache like all the rest at times, but I wonder how much of that is really necessary (on my part, not judging).

2. While I would consider one of the more inexpensive rifles for kids/a back up/loaner/truck gun, I wouldn't by and large be selecting one for my primary rifle. But as many have mentioned here, there is a plethora of reasons they are good for folks and the shooting/hunting community.

I grew up in a non-hunting/shooting family, but always had a passion for guns and hunting. When I was a very young airman in the AF and had a new family and not a lot of dough, I talked the wife into letting me buy a Mossberg 500 so I could shoot some skeet (since they had a skeet/trap range on base). Of course I was pretty intimidated when I went out to the local range since there were a lot of older guys with a good number of fancy guns. I introduced myself and they had to "look over" that new Mossberg. Said it was a darn nice gun and everything I would need for quite a while. They one of them commenced to "borrowing" it for a round and of course shot a 25. Those old guys took me under thier collective wing from that point forward and I felt like I belonged. Today, I shoot a Benelli. let's not forget where we came from guys. And let's not pass up opportunities to introduce new folks to sports that need all the attendance they can get.

With that said, I do wish makers like Remington would pay attention to crowds like we have here in bringing out new offerings!

Thanks,
Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The only thing I see wrong with the Ruger American is still no .25-06. What gives?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I'm going to buy a Ruger American when time allows and I am going to shoot the piss out of it.

Time will tell.

Travis

Me too

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead
No, I wouldn't touch your sister.

Afraid of my sloppy seconds?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some folks look at a hunting rifle strictly as a tool. Some look at them as something more than just a tool. Can you guess which ones buy the Ruger American, Axis, XL7 etc?

Last edited by TnBigBore; 05/30/13.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Akbob, well spoken. The aesthetic of handsome is as handsome does is older than the aesthetic of walnut, steel and carbon fiber.
If it shoots well, is quick on point, holds together and is attainable there can be a beauty in that. Just a tool and and more than just tool.

D
D
Anyone pick up the new 783 from Remington? It looks and feels like an improvement over the 710/770.

I took a chance and bought one in .270, still need to get a scope on it. Just wondering if anyone has had one to the range?

Last edited by dlquinn; 05/30/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When it came time to buy a new rifle for my son-in-law as a wedding present. He is a wonderful young man and I could have purchased pretty much anything I wanted.

For a number of reasons, though, I wanted to buy a good quality but not expensive rifle. What he got was a very practical .30-06 Savage 111GNS for which I paid $299.97.

These days I don't know what I would buy but quite possibly he might get a used Ruger M77/MKII/Hawkeye or Remington M700 rifle in good shape, the same kind I buy for myself often as not.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Prwlr

You can get results from ryobi but it is the reliability that makes jobs suffer. When the motors burn up in the middle of the job and I have to pay a journeyman to sweep and pick up scraps for the rest of the day, loan them my tools for the 1000anth time or send them home I start to form an opinion. The batteries lasting 20 minutes per charge and me watching them run back and forth to the charger with two crappy batteries adds to the frustration.

How many times have you had that happen? Really a 1000? That's a lot and I doubt that it has happened.

Aim for the exit hole.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Originally Posted by Prwlr

You can get results from ryobi but it is the reliability that makes jobs suffer. When the motors burn up in the middle of the job and I have to pay a journeyman to sweep and pick up scraps for the rest of the day, loan them my tools for the 1000anth time or send them home I start to form an opinion. The batteries lasting 20 minutes per charge and me watching them run back and forth to the charger with two crappy batteries adds to the frustration.

How many times have you had that happen? Really a 1000? That's a lot and I doubt that it has happened.

Over the last 30 years I have had to loan my tools out many times to keep jobs going. I don't believe one thousand times to be an exaggeration. I sacrafice in other areas to purchase the best tools I can afford, they buy beer, cigarettes, atvs, boats and the cheapest tools they can find.
I doubt you've been on any upscale job sites.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 16,885 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,188
Posts18,543,330
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.