Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Go back to the video I posted above, and instead of starting at 22:30 where he blows you "no intermediate fossil" theory out of the water, start at the beginning where he lays out the 5 pillars of Evolution and walks through them step by step. He nicely lays out the current scientific understanding of evolution. Evolution it self is not an separate science, but evolution is the underlying theory that pins together the whole of the science we call BIOLOGY.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Headhunter, now you are changing topics. We were discussing evolution, and when you were unable to respond to Brents discussion regarding a specific species, or my examples of extreme change, you changed the subject from Evolution to Abiogenesis. You then switched from Abiogenesis to Cosmology.

If you wish to admit defeat on the subject of evolution, we can then move on to other subjects such as abiogenesis and cosmology.

All evolution can say, scientifically, is this is how we believe life descended from life.

Evolution as Science cannot say how life began nor whether or not the process of evolution was directed. And as soon as "evolution" attempts to dogmatize such things, it is no longer Science but is Metaphysics.'

And metaphysically speaking, the belief that the material world is all that exists is Philosophical Materialism.

In either case, that of Theistic origins and directed creation or Atheistic Materialism, both are based on faith/belief, nothing more. Both positions are, fundamentally speaking, a religion, a world-view. And, believe me, there are fundamentalists in both camps.

The dispute is irresolvable. To an outsider, the scientific materialist looks like a closed-minded fundamentalist dogmatically (even angrily) asserting the sole primacy and validity of his worldview and on a holy mission to destroy anyone who disagrees.

To a scientific materialist, all others seem like the dogmatists that have clung to old beliefs and inhibited the progress of mankind since time immemorial. Furthermore, scientists are something like psychopathic serial killers in their single-minded and obsessive need to seek out problems and solve them (and thank God for that).

When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail, you know? And they don't take kindly to people telling them that some problems are immutable, unsolvable, non-rational mysteries. It is not only a personal insult but, since most scientists are staunch humanists, it is an insult and challenge issued to mankind from the depths of the universe itself; another defense thrown up as nature attempts to elude its master. Yes, there is something Luciferic in all this. And that's OK, too.

Last edited by Olaf; 06/06/13.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Olaf
Headhunter, now you are changing topics. We were discussing evolution, and when you were unable to respond to Brents discussion regarding a specific species, or my examples of extreme change, you changed the subject from Evolution to Abiogenesis. You then switched from Abiogenesis to Cosmology.

If you wish to admit defeat on the subject of evolution, we can then move on to other subjects such as abiogenesis and cosmology.

All evolution can say, scientifically, is this is how we believe life descended from life. Correct

Evolution as Science cannot say how life began nor whether or not the process of evolution was directed. Again you are correct And as soon as "evolution" attempts to dogmatize such things, it is no longer Science but is Metaphysics.' half correct. The science of how life emerged from the available materials and conditions of the early earth is Abiogenesis, and abiogenesis is still science, not metaphysics

And metaphysically speaking, the belief that the material world is all that exists is Philosophical Materialism. A statement that there is insufficient evidence to support the hypothesis of the existence of an afterlife, which does not translate directly into philosophical materialism. As an example Gravity is a non material force, and the mechanism for dark energy is unexplained. Consequently I cannot jump to the main tenant of Philosophical Materialism that "everything is the result of matter." What I can say is there is insufficient evidence to support the belief in the existence of a spiritual world.

In either case, that of Theistic origins and directed creation or Atheistic Materialism, both are based on faith/belief, nothing more. Both positions are, fundamentally speaking, a religion, a world-view. And, believe me, there are fundamentalists in both camps. NO, you are incorrect. Since my position is not bases on faith, but on evidence, my position can chance with the available convincing evidence. Since you position is faith based, it is not free to change as the knowledge of man, as evidence progresses. There is absolutely no parallel between an evidence and a faith based position.

The dispute is irresolvable. To an outsider, the scientific materialist looks like a closed-minded fundamentalist dogmatically (even angrily) asserting the sole primacy and validity of his worldview and on a holy mission to destroy anyone who disagrees. This is a totally unfounded assertion, see above

To a scientific materialist, all others seem like the dogmatists that have clung to old beliefs and inhibited the progress of mankind since time immemorial. Furthermore, scientists are something like psychopathic serial killers nice ad hominem attack in their single-minded and obsessive need to seek out problems and solve them (and thank God for that).

When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail, you know? And they don't take kindly to people telling them that some problems are immutable, unsolvable, non-rational mysteries. If you make an extraordinary claim, we just want extraordinary evidence It is not only a personal insult but, since most scientists are staunch humanists, it is an insult and challenge issued to mankind from the depths of the universe itself; another defense thrown up as nature attempts to elude its master. Yes, there is something Luciferic If you wish to invoke the devil, please provide your clear and convincing evidence the Bible is true. in all this. And that's OK, too.

PS if you are going to blatantly rip off another forum, please provide proper credit to the original author and a link like this:
http://spengler.atimes.net/viewtopic.php?t=15985&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

I don't think you've posted a single original thought in this thread.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
PS if you are going to blatantly rip off another forum, please provide proper credit to the original author and a link like this:
http://spengler.atimes.net/viewtopic.php?t=15985&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

I don't think you've posted a single original thought in this thread.

And how do you know that I am not in fact Marcus . . ?

Be careful . . . veeeerrrrry careful . . .

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Are you?

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are you?

Tell you what . . you PM me your real name and personal email, and we'll have a little conversation . . .

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
67 posts all on theology. You don't appear to be an actual member of the gun culture, so at this time, I will decline your offer. Any conversation you wish to have we can have hear.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
. . You don't appear to be an actual member of the gun culture, . .

Wow . . you are quick on the trigger, aren't you?

Bet I've busted more caps in my lifetime than you have . .

Know what happens when you a-s-s-u-m-e . . . ?

Now a question for you . . did you participate on the old Spengler forum? If so, who were you?

Last edited by Olaf; 06/06/13.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
More caps, doubt it.

No, I was not on the Spengler forum.
This has been my primary ID for many years.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
More caps, doubt it.

No, I was not on the Spengler forum.
This has been my primary ID for many years.

Well, if you'd come out of the bushes we could find out, couldn't we . . ?

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Says the pot to the kettle.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
to get back on tract, it looks like there's two competing creaton stories? one is a supernatural being who spoke, and the creation occurred. the other is that the evolution Story holds sway?

if so, that is two main competing stories, how we ever resolve our differences> i mean, we all know my Story is better than your Story. wink

science, metaphysical, divine, there's a lot to discuss here. i feel a lot of heat, but see very little light.

perhaps we'll never know for sure?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Gus
to get back on tract, it looks like there's two competing creaton stories? one is a supernatural being who spoke, and the creation occurred. the other is that the evolution Story holds sway?

if so, that is two main competing stories, how we ever resolve our differences> i mean, we all know my Story is better than your Story. wink

science, metaphysical, divine, there's a lot to discuss here. i feel a lot of heat, but see very little light.

Sure you'll know . . just like you know now . . to each his own, it's as simple as that.

As for two stories, they are not divine creation versus evolution, they are Theism versus Philosophical Materialism.

Evolution has nothing to say about creation.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I love it when nonsense is cloaked in Post Modernism verbiage.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Olaf
Originally Posted by Gus

Sure you'll know . . just like you know now . . to each his own, it's as simple as that.

As for two stories, they are not divine creation versus evolution, they are Theism versus Philosophical Materialism.

Evolution has nothing to say about creation.

Nothing to say, except that the literal 6 day story is not true.

Olaf, I have not asked you about your version of Christianity. Do you believe the creation story to be a literal truth, and that the earth is less then 10k years old?

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
when the Coming of the Cosmic Christ finally manifests itself, we can carry on from that point forward, right?

i mean, we've got competing Stories. it's as simple as that.

should we hold our breath until we pass out, and let Nature take it's course?

seriously, science evolves or descends from religion, doesn't it?

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
to put the whole thing a bit more succiently, we don't know from whence we came, we don't know where we are, and most certainly, we don't know where we are going next?

that's philosophy. theology is another subject entirely. as is psychology and physics.

so, given all the add-ins, where are we, exaactly? anyone know for sure? i'd say they don't have a clue, but do have the best of intentions.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Gus, why don't you try telling us what we do know?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
we are exactly where we started Gus - and you are as hopelessly lost as ever. But that's no real surprise

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Gus
to put the whole thing a bit more succiently, we don't know from whence we came, we don't know where we are, and most certainly, we don't know where we are going next?

Next??????

What makes you think there is any "next"?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,462
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.