Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I'm looking for the name of the hunting shoes made in Africa. I have lost this company's name. I have heard they are expensive but wear like iron and should last quite a while. If I'm not mistaken they are made from the skins of animals native to Africa. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
are they made from water buffalo foreskin??

nothing else can compare

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bristoe is a expert on identifying foreskin, he could tell you

"If you have to ask you can't afford it" ETN10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're better off buying boots made here. It's romantic to buy stuff from Africa but the reality is that most things made there are crap, from taxidermy to boots to clothing. I have a pair of expensive Tag Safari boots (a copy of the Courtney and like Courtneys also made in Zim) that hurt my feet so bad I can't even wear them, poorly designed but the cape buff leather is tough as nails. Spending time in Africa made me really appreciate the first world.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
IC B2

I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Thanks guys for the info. Seminole, I am a bit concerned about the boots being made from the product you mentioned. Does that mean that if my feet get hot the boots mightexpand and possible fall of and not fit again until they cool off. Lol

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ColKlink
You're better off buying boots made here. It's romantic to buy stuff from Africa but the reality is that most things made there are crap, from taxidermy to boots to clothing. I have a pair of expensive Tag Safari boots (a copy of the Courtney and like Courtneys also made in Zim) that hurt my feet so bad I can't even wear them, poorly designed but the cape buff leather is tough as nails. Spending time in Africa made me really appreciate the first world.

Would like to here your experience with SA taxidermy please.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I have a pair of Courteny boots and like them. A lot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM

I have my stuff done here in the States. Though there is obviously good work done there I've seen enough shoddy work that was done in Africa to know it's not worth taking the risk to me.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have six pairs of Courtney's that I have worn regularly for the last 15 or so years. They fit well and do wear like the proverbial iron. I think 2 pair are elephant,one Impala,and the remainder are Buff. All styles from Vellie to Selous and one pair of kinda dress shoes. I think I bought them all at Geka's in Bulawayo. They had by far the best selection and at that time Courtney did not sell at the factory. Met the head of Courtney at the WR booth in Las Vegas at SCI once. Very nice man and he invited me to tour the plant my next trip. Some like them some don't as most of us do about most things.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM

I have my stuff done here in the States. Though there is obviously good work done there I've seen enough shoddy work that was done in Africa to know it's not worth taking the risk to me.

Col it's almost like you are contradicting yourself. First you say things are crap that are made here and then you say we obviously have good work done here also. If you prefer having your African trophies mounted in the US then by all means you are welcome to do it there. A man's taxidermy shop is like a woman's hairdresser - if you have one that works for you you will drive the proverbial extra 10 miles to get there.

I do respect your opinion but with regards to the Courtenay shoes and most (most, not all) of our taxidermy work is rather top notch. I can refer you to a US taxidermist whose African work looks like excrement compared to some of the stuff here, and then there are a number of NA taxidermists who do work of mint quality.

The Courtenay shoes, for local conditions, are the best shoes I have had the privilege of wearing. I'm sure Dickies manufactures better clothing than most companies over here and seeing I am not a fashion fundi I better stop now with fashion comments.

Nobody needs to think we only have bad taxidermy work done in SA or bad boots manufactured in Zimbabwe. Some of the stuff we actually do pretty good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few years ago, I bought a pair of Zim made boots here in the UK. They were not Courtney's but the same South African style.

While initially they were very comfortable, I found that once they were wet, the leather went very soft and the boot lost most of its support. The toe box of the boot was also rather wide/roomy. The main problem I found though was that the vehicle tire sole was very thin and lacked a proper shaped foot bed meaning that after wearing them for a few hours, the soles of my feet started to ach and get "tired"..

On reflection, I think the boots had been built such they suited a typical African foot that was used to minimal or no support and simply did not suit my European feet that had always been used to the support and protection of heavy shoes or boots since childhood..

I am not suggesting Courtney's are the same, but I certainly would not buy them mail order withouyt first being able to try them; but I wouldn't buy any boot mail order these days..

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 06/03/13.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The toe box of the boot was also rather wide/roomy. The main problem I found though was that the vehicle tire sole was very thin and lacked a proper shaped foot bed...

On reflection, I think the boots had been built such they suited a typical African foot that was used to minimal or no support and simply did not suit my European feet that had always been used to the support and protection of heavy shoes or boots since childhood..

SOLD! ...that sounds just about perfect for my feet, I shall organise some for myself.

Thanks Pete.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART

The toe box of the boot was also rather wide/roomy. The main problem I found though was that the vehicle tire sole was very thin and lacked a proper shaped foot bed...

SOLD! ...that sounds just about perfect for my feet, I shall organise some for myself.

Thanks Pete.

James,

Just to be clear, the ones I had were not Courtney's although at first glance they looked like the Selous model..

I have no idea if Courtney's have the same fit or not and don't intend spending a small fortune finding out..

If I were buying this style of boot again, I'd probably go for one of the various Rogues imported from RSA, probably the the Trans Africa RB5 here

[Linked Image]

These are a bit more substantial than the previous boots I had, but Rogue also do lighter versions at very reasonable prices. Note in the link about, they also sell foot beds, which again sort of reinforces my comments about European feet typically needing more support..

I am very surprised you can't get some light weight roo hide boots locally?

Regards,

Peter

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Boots are like any other clothing item in that what fits and works well for one person may not fit the next guy. Courtney's fit me perfectly. I have 3 pairs and have worn them on multiple safaris. They are extremely well made, with excellent workmanship, design and materials. They wear like iron.

Socks make a difference. I wear Falke TK-2's with Courtney boots. They are cut individually for left and right feet. Falke socks are available from Westley Richards here in the U.S.. Westley Richards also sells Courtney boots and shoes.

Any boot needs to be broken in. I do the break-in while exercising on a treadmill.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have been looking at the Courteney Safari for a while and the only thing that is holding me back is the need to travel to Sydney to try a pair on...you have made the decision a tad easier.

A lot of the boots available here are made on a US last which seems to be for a long skinny deformed foot with an incredibly high arch.
A boot that has a wide toe, narrow heel, and little/no arch support is just the ticket for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Boots are like any other clothing item in that what fits and works well for one person may not fit the next guy. Courtney's fit me perfectly. I have 3 pairs and have worn them on multiple safaris. They are extremely well made, with excellent workmanship, design and materials. They wear like iron.

Socks make a difference. I wear Falke TK-2's with Courtney boots. They are cut individually for left and right feet. Falke socks are available from Westley Richards here in the U.S.. Westley Richards also sells Courtney boots and shoes.

Any boot needs to be broken in. I do the break-in while exercising on a treadmill.

In the UK at least, I believe you are paying heavily for the Westley Richards/Courtney name..I have just checked their website and currently a pair of Selous costs �275/ $420US/ $435AUD..I have no idea what they retail for in the US, but I know that the guys who bought them back directly from Zim used to pay a fraction of that..

The RB5 boots i posted above are �125 and can often be had at around the �100 if you shop around..I feel that is a more realistic price for what is a decent quality but rather basic boot..

Edited to add, I agree 100% re the difference quality socks can make..Its a factor many over look..

Regards

Peter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A boot that has a wide toe, narrow heel, and little/no arch support is just the ticket for me.

If you can get them in Oz, have a look for the Rogue RB-2 Light Hiker..

[Linked Image]

Not enough support for me, but they sound ideal for what you want..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I can pick a pair of Safari for au $299.00, which is reasonably cheap, particularly if they don't have that abysmal high arch support.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can pick a pair of Safari for au $299.00, which is reasonably cheap, particularly if they don't have that abysmal high arch support.

James,

Thats a bit more realistic; I hate paying a premium just because of a brand name, but unfortunately its quite common over here..

BTW, what are the Australian Army combat boots like?

I had a chance to buy some new, unissued ridiculously cheap, but they didn't have my size..The ones I was looking at were a brown high leg combat boot made from roo leather..

Personally, I like the taller combat style boots and these particular ones were very light due to the use of roo leather..

Regards,

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 325wsm1, 35, 6mmbrfan, 12 invisible), 13,523 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,229
Posts18,544,004
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.