Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Depends on your idea of getting my money out of it.

What my check book contributed to the project and what I contributed to the project are 2 different things. Could I recoup what my checkbook has invested so far? Yes, easily. Checkbook plus my time... I think so, but it becomes a question of how well am I paying myself for my labor.

As a friend of mine said after restoring a number of classic cars you never get your money back on a car as how do you figure the cost of the labor you put into it. He said it's a labor of love in the satisfaction you sit back and look at the completed project and hear the kudos's from your peers and well as from complete strangers.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Covering the true cost of labor never quite seems to pan out for restorations, be they cars, tractors, houses, rifles or whatever.

I think W7ACT's friend is right on the money.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Beings I do EVERYTHING myself, I could actually make a living restoring old cars. The key is to pick the right projects, buy them right and know how far to go with the work and how far not to go with the work.

You don't want to fall short of the mark but you don't want to throw parts and labor beyond what's necessary either, there are no returns on stupid chit like huge stereo systems, air ride, stupid wheels and over the top "custom" graphics. Same goes for any area of the car, be it engine, brakes, trans, suspension... Go far enough, make it nice, make it dependable etc, but don't go nuts in any particular catagory because you won't get that back.

I could go full time with this, I think about it a lot. A whole damn lot.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dave, I'd be curious to know what you could sell that car for when it is done. I have no idea of what that sort of thing goes for.

But don't turn a fun hobby into work. Might take all the fun out of it.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
The fun part is owning them, the work part has been just plain old hard work for me for many years now, not much mystery or excitement left in it for me.

But a guy has to do something for work, and I think I hate restoring cars much less than I hate what I'm doing now so...

grin

We'll see.

Something clever here.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Sometimes one hell of a hobby just turns into a job. But sometimes thats OK....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's OK to go to work but it's really play.....it's how it should be if it could be. I say go for it full steam! You will never look back.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dave, wizard is the only word I can think of!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ready for glass

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NICE !!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ha,...Shasta...

Haven't seen any of that in a LONG time...

Car Looks Sweet ND..!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very Nice Dave! i want a full shot outside. Cant wait to see this car. it'll look great at chickenbuck!

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
hey, on a dry day... it could happen. grin

Something clever here.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The fun part is owning them, the work part has been just plain old hard work for me for many years now, not much mystery or excitement left in it for me.

But a guy has to do something for work, and I think I hate restoring cars much less than I hate what I'm doing now so...

grin

We'll see.

George Bernard Shaw said, "Work is whatever a body is obliged to do, and play whatever he is not obliged to do."

His way of saying that when you turn your hobby into a job, it's just work again. But I have to agree with your reasoning... if you hate the work you're doing now and could replace the income doing something you enjoy doing, that's a strong incentive.

Getting into self-employment just as Obamacare is starting to roll out might be something to consider as well.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can never make a "good" living restoring cars for people who are concerned with the cost of the restoration...........seen it way too many times......

Cancer Sucks
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Getting into self-employment just as Obamacare is starting to roll out might be something to consider as well.

The wife carries the healthcare as her plan is better. So that part is not a concern.

The restoration stuff, with the metal surgery, fabrication, welding, body/paint work etc. I don't know that it's a "hobby" for me, I think of my hobbies as hunting, fishing, shooting and the tinkering part of owning hot rods and classics. I enjoy tinkering and tuning. The all out surgical restoration process... It's not nice work, it's ugly, dirty...

I tolerate it ok, but I don't exactly love it.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
You can never make a "good" living restoring cars for people who are concerned with the cost of the restoration...........seen it way too many times......

Agreed, I would never take work for a customer who's had this old car sitting around for 20 yrs and they want you to "fix it up a little"

I am not interested in doing car projects for customers period, more interested in spec builds and sell them.

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DAMN! That is fine looking.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yep. Spec builds and sell 'em. Doing resto's on other people's stuff is a nightmare... their expectations are rarely realistic.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 100 of 110 1 2 98 99 100 101 102 109 110

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (1Longbow, 2500HD, 1lesfox, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 26 invisible), 1,955 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,088
Posts18,501,767
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.