Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I bought a pair of late 50's vintage Sako L46's in .222Rem and he gave me a couple of boxes of ammo with them. They shot pretty good, not sure how old they were but were marked with a price of $4.00.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
Guys:

A friend recently gifted me with four unopened boxes of Federal Premium cartridges in .270 Win. (P270E - 150gr Nosler Partition bullet) They may be anywhere from 10-20 years old. There are no blemishes on either the cartridges or boxes. They were stored by his reloading bench in a dry basement here in Northern MI.

What is the shelf life of these loads? Would you use them for hunting, or just practice? Thanks.

NB

I will go one further than Battue, ABSOLUTLEY DO NOT SHOOT IT, instead, shoot me a PM and I will give you an address where you can send it for disposal. I will see to it that it does not get into the wrong hands of some one who will waste it on opening day, as we have the dreaded Condors here in Califoristan, and it would be a federal offense to use that for hunting! whistle

Sean
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm shooting WWII 8mm ammo. Works fine.

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I did no comparison, as with the earlier posted .223, but I recently opened a twenty year old case of Remington .30-06. I could not tell it from new production except for the graphics on the boxes. It also worked fine and grouped about like I expected from that rifle. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You guys should listen to the old guy I overhead at the gun shop.

According to him this new ammo has additives in the powder so that it deteriorates so you cant stockpile it. The old ammo you could keep forever.

So I guess old ammo that is old is OK but new old ammo is bad.

You guys should get out more often and get the facts.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by stray round

According to him this new ammo has additives in the powder so that it deteriorates so you cant stockpile it.
Did he share any other hallucinations?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Recently, a friend of mine got a batch of ammo from a widow friend of his. Remington and some Hansen branded Yugoslavian NNY factory ammo, up to 30 years old. He traded me what he got in two calibers he doesn't shoot.

So far, there have been splits near the case head in every caliber and every brand. I now know that a Sako will blow hot gas on your face, a Savage 10 will blow out the extractor, and a Remington 700 you won't know what happened until you take the case out.

I'd never experienced leaking gas from a case until this experience.

Last edited by Crowkiller; 06/06/13. Reason: imperfect memory

TANSTAAFL
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If we were in desperate times, Then I might consider shooting those 20-30 year old loads. But since we are not desperate, why not pull the bullets and fire new ammo.

I would be concerned about the brass after that many years. I have a bunch of 12 ga. shells that are pre world war II and they have failed to fire what few times I have tried. I have seen some shot shells that drew dampness, have a delay in complete firing and ended up going off as the semi auto shotgun action started to open. It is worth being cautious.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would fire it without even thinking twice about it.

Don't you guys all have old ammo from your dad or grandpa that's been sitting in the bottom of the gun cabinet for a few decades?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fired many a round of 30 year old Lake City match in the M1A. A lot of guys at our gun club have and I never hard of a problem. I have reloaded military brass dated as far back as 55 it was fine.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still have a bunch of circa 1937 7x57 ammo made by Kynoch and put into a 1000 round spam can. It was in the can until 1992 and has been in a good, stable, dry environment since then. Still shoots great and is very consistent over the chronograph. If kept in a good environment, it seems most ammo will last many decades. Worst stuff I ever had was some old 303 British mil-surp that looked pretty grungy so I figured it wasn't stored too good. It all went "bang" but wasn't as accurate as I expected; upon chronographing it was found to have very large velocity variations from shot to shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^^^ what does that old 7x57 ammo chronograph at? I assume they are 173gr bullets, right? Have you shot any game with them?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have purchased and shot many incredibly old 22lr rounds, often finding them dirt cheap at yard sales and flee markets, sometimes am even able to trade the empty boxes afterwards for new ammo. I have also fired a good deal of surplus ammo mostly 8mm and 30-06 that was from the 40's and 50's. Also south African 308, not sure when that is from? At one time I had purchased and used for hunting norma and kynoch 9.3x57mm ammo that I thought was from the 50's maybe 60's with excellent results.

Two years ago I was assisting a women clear her garage and she gave me three buckets full of vacuum packaged ammo all milsurp, I was only able to use about 300 rounds of 9x18 so the rest went to a friend, it was a wonderful find.

When clearing out older homes whether visiting estate sales, especially if we are in a rural area or assist family moving older parents it is pretty common to find a can or box of ammo. Last time I found a coffee can of shotgun shells that I fired and in the most recent case I found a small jar with 3 22lr rounds they shot well, what I think was a 22 short missing its bullet, a high brass slug that I have never seen before and I haven't shot yet and some 7.62x39 which I gave to a friend they fired a very large group and 1 30-06 round pulled the bullet gave it to a friend (bullet is 220 grains which surprised me) I then fire formed the case to 35 whelen.

Yeah if I where paying big money for a hunt I wouldn't use that kind of ammo but I am not really a fancy guy and I like to use what I find.

Last edited by 44magtrapper; 06/05/13.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have fired german ammo waffen/swaztiga/ marked from 1937 with no issues.
I have pulled projectiles/powder from early 50's french 30.06 ball, reloaded in new brass, and chron'd it with about 10fps variance.
I have a box of ammo from the civil war, unopened, for a spencer carbine. I would not fire it because of what it is, but i have a feeling it's an even bet some of them would work.
and i have fired 30's production german 8mm in a M.G. 42 without any issues at all.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just went through some of my old shooting log books and couldn't find my chronograph results for that Kynoch 7x57. Got my first chronograph in Mar. '97 and this stuff was chron'd in '97 or '98 from a 1908 Brazilian Mauser with a 28" barrel. On the boxes the bullet is listed as a 140 gr. Solid Pointed Bullet. Even says "Nitro-Cellulose Powder" also. I can recall getting very consistent velocities and low extreme spreads with this stuff. Too bad I don't recall the velocity. Still have close to 900 rounds of it and this season for sure I'm gonna chrono it again in the same gun and be sure the results get into my records. Haven't hunted with any of it cause I figured a solid wouldn't be the way to go on any critters that I'd be hunting.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've shot WW1 ammo and it worked beautifully. Perhaps the powder had degraded slightly, but it worked and gave me 2-3" groups from an '03 Springfield. The only thing I didn't like is the corrosive primers.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why doesn't old factory ammo "weld" the case neck to the bullet?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have it stored around moisture and the process will begin. It needs moisture for the molecules of the two different metals to start a bond or corrode. I looked it up. It is known as galvanic corrosion. An electrical current is initiated. Car batteries work on the same principle.

I didn't think my basement had an excessive amount of moisture until I purchased a dehumidifier. Turn on the house AC and it fires up almost immediately.

Last edited by battue; 06/08/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
forever, if stored right

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Our military folks are still shooting .50 BMG ammo from the 1940s.

RLTW
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1badf350, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.