-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Where a big piece of what was left of the Imperial fleet went to the bottom....this would be heck of a place to dive:

http://www.readability.com/read?url=http%3A//www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2335607/Worlds-biggest-ship-graveyard-Tropical-waters-South-Pacific-hide-haunting-wreckage-World-War-II-battle-left-60-Japanese-warships-rusting-lagoon-floor.html

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Cool pics, thanks for the link.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Where a big piece of what was left of the Imperial fleet went to the bottom....this would be heck of a place to dive:

a working link

A friend went there to dive for about 2 weeks.

He had a fantastic time. He basically lived on the big diveboat for most of this time, and his total costs were quite reasonable he thought.

Here is a neat picture of a Japanese car which was in one of the ships.

[Linked Image]

Yes, I know that you are all thinking "Northern Dave could fix that up good as new!" smile

[Linked Image]

My friend's pictures were great too, and made me want to take up diving so I could do the dives too!

John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is that a Camry? laugh

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
my dad was a Navy photo recon analyst on Espiritu Santo in 1943-4, looking at the daily P-38 photo recon and counting ships and planes at Rabaul and Truk and other bases, so they could plan bombing missions. Bet the "day after" BDA pictures didn't have much left to count at Truk.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do they allow divers any souvenirs, or is that forbidden?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Do they allow divers any souvenirs, or is that forbidden?

it is reconized as a cemetery, war memorial, and nothing is allowed to be removed.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was a crushing blow to the Japs. Years ago I saw a documentary by Jacque Cousteau on Truk Lagoon very interesting to say the least.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KCaqEkRKiCo[/video]

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The video clip is narrated by the guy who worked the "Twilight Zone" series. Rod Serling, (sp)?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i remember seeing that on Jacques Cousteau when I was a kid in maybe 1970! not much seems to have disintegrated, I remember that car!

Poole

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some Japanese swords from Truk , the land not the lagoon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mike

Last edited by 6mm250; 06/07/13.

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Truk was Japan's Pearl harbor. Seems they didn't learn the lesson they taught us.

A big blow to their supply chain they never recovered from.

What is the saying about amatures discussing strategy and professionals discussing logistics?

The whole Jap fleet should have been attacking the Southern Suez canal, not holding islands.

Diving in Truk is a worthy bucket list item.

Last edited by siskiyous6; 06/07/13.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We were supposed to stop at Guam on my first WestPack. A bunch of us got dive certified in the PI and were looking forwards to diving the wrecks off Guam.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guam wrecks are deep, take your helium.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Really, we were told there were some at no more than 40 feet. That would have been a bummer. We did stop at Townsville Australia, nice dive on the Barrier Reef.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

While living on Guam ('63-'65) I had occasion to pick up a lot of debris and ammo from the coastal waters and interior of the island. Generally the ammo recovered from water, though not serviceable in the sense it could be chambered and used, was still "dry" inside. Thus did I burn much gun powder and blow the bottom out of a charcoal grill with exploding .50 BMG primers. Friends of mine found grenades that still worked, much to their chagrin. Thankfully they were faithful to the old war movies and threw the grenades after pulling the pin.

A fellow I knew faintly had a predilection for bringing artillery shells home and removing the fuzes. For a short while he was getting away with burning the explosive out and when mating the shells with dummy fuses had a nice display in his room, mostly of Japanese arty and anti-aircraft shells.

About a month after I met him they scraped his remains off the carport ceiling. The quarters were made of steel reinforced concrete, to include the roofs.

Point of all that, just because it looks old and harmless and the war was a long time ago...that stuff can and will bite you if you give it a chance.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shreck
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Really, we were told there were some at no more than 40 feet. That would have been a bummer. We did stop at Townsville Australia, nice dive on the Barrier Reef.

Don't take that to the bank. I dove all over the island and saw the residue of but a single small wreck that was less than 100' down and that was in Apra Harbor.

I am..........disturbed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 4th_point, 257 roberts, 257_X_50, 21, 7 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,018
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.