Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cocadori,
I can tell you are an experienced horse hand by your humility. I would ride with you anywhere.

This forum is a good example of a place with many challenging people and it is an oppotunity to develp thicker skin and learn to tune out those with lots of attitude and little skill.

Mules are smart. Many of them have learned to dog people and act old and slow. I traded for a mule that had been ridden a lot by kids. She was broke but had been jerked around and was pretty slow. After a few weeks of rides with spurs, a quirt and the use of the end of my mecate, she was permanently livened up. Putting a handle on her took longer. In the end she was a superior trail animal. Flat trots, the big extended walk, and she could walk down trails that horses slid down. Many people lend animals that are broke but slow. They are safer for the average newby.

Last edited by ppine; 06/13/13.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ppine
Cocadori,
I can tell you are an experienced horse hand by your humility. I would ride with you anywhere.

This forum is a good example of a place with many challenging people and it is an oppotunity to develp thicker skin and learn to tune out those with lots of attitude and little skill.

Mules are smart. Many of them have learned to dog people and act old and slow. I traded for a mule that had been ridden a lot by kids. She was broke but had been jerked around and was pretty slow. After a few weeks of rides with spurs, a quirt and the use of the end of my mecate, she was permanently livened up. Putting a handle on her took longer. In the end she was a superior trail animal. Flat trots, the big extended walk, and she could walk down trails that horses slid down. Many people lend animals that are broke but slow. They are safer for the average newby.

Well said!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ppine
Cocadori,

And this is directed at whom?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Bone structure, feet, angles, Long pastern area, mind and heart.

Yep I said it...

I LOOK at the long pastern AREA... wonder why...?

PPine,

Thanks, would enjoy ridin' with you and learning somthin' new!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Bone structure, feet, angles, Long pastern area, mind and heart.

Yep I said it...

I LOOK at the long pastern AREA... wonder why...?

Wow..dude...
never said I want long pasterns...infact just the opposite. I said I look at the long pastern area. You know there is a long and a short pastern....?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good looking horse there, Cocadori!

My boy is only 15 hands, but lightning quick and stout as they come. He and all of our horses go barefoot year round. If I'm going somewhere with rough rocks I can put boots on him, but if I don't he just walks a bit more careful. Both back feet are white and they wear just like his black front feet.

Thanks for sharing!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hey thanks! I'll put hte tape on him and see how tall he is tomorrow. Just got hit with an impressive storm!

Doode JWP.. I look at the LONG pastern area to see that the pony isn't coon footed or to much slope in that area.
Short is good. Not too up and down and not too much slope. sheesh....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

White hooves in the front on a horse in rough rocky terrain would give me pause.

We shod him yesterday.. these feet are tough as nails regardless of the color...

There is no factual basis to 100% support that white feet are always softer.

not softer, but white feet tend to have thinner hoof walls.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Doode JWP.. I look at the LONG pastern area to see that the pony isn't coon footed or to much slope in that area.
Short is good. Not too up and down and not too much slope. sheesh�.

You could have said that to start with which is correct, but that is not what you said. You said LONG then denied saying it and then admitted saying it and now have gone full circle

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

White hooves in the front on a horse in rough rocky terrain would give me pause.

We shod him yesterday.. these feet are tough as nails regardless of the color...

That is the general consensus.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

You could have said that to start with which is correct, but that is not what you said. You said LONG then denied saying it and then admitted saying it and now have gone full circle

Look JWP, I said I look at the long pastern AREA. It is still there for you and everyone else to see it says AREA. After you wanted to know things I look for in a "moutain breed". I look at the AREA. Because I am looking for something specific. Actually less of something specific.
I never denied saying it I actually admitted it. YOU read it wrong or twisted it in your mind.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

That is the general consensus.

Might be a consensus. However, it is fact? I'm asking here because I'm not sure myself OR if it is factual or not.

Many here would pass on a white footed horse regardless of what other fundamentally positive attributes it has. In my opinion that's a shame. Throw on a good set of shoes, even pads hit the trails and have fun.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wonder if diet has more to do with it than anything? Bought my grey horse when he was 7 or 8 ,some of the thinnest walled crappy grey hoof you would find. Never had anything to nail to and always pulling chunks off when they didn't hold. 10 years later his feet are close to perfect, even hoof wall and plenty to nail to. Shoes hold tight even after being on over three months! Just my observation one one horse.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I could lean that way for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There seems to be some evidence that exercise on rough ground toughens up the feet over time also. Pulling the shoes in winter and letting the hoof wall flex can be helpful.

Some people even advocate adding rocks to your turnout rather than taking them away to toughen up feet. Ride em on rough ground to get them ready for more of it during hunting season.

George Santayana
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is a fact. Doesn't mean they have to have thin walls, but if a horse is wearing white soxs you owe yourself a look.

Ever notice the King Ranch never had a pony working their place with white feet?

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well I have many many to trim this year. Maybe I'll start keeping track of black and white feet to see where they are at...black thin walls, white thin walls, soft vs hard. I never paid much attention to the true numbers. Most of ours are on rocky, hilly terrain that is in our turn out/pasture sections. There was nothing that jumped out at me that had me leaning hard one way or the other. Sorta piques me interest now.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My paint has crappy feet and they're white. If I don't want problems I keep shoes on year round and and reshaw every 8 weeks. This horse would never make it in the wild.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Look JWP, I said I look at the long pastern AREA. It is still there for you and everyone else to see it says AREA. After you wanted to know things I look for in a "moutain breed". I look at the AREA. Because I am looking for something specific. Actually less of something specific.
I never denied saying it I actually admitted it. YOU read it wrong or twisted it in your mind.

The hoof is below the pastern and the ankle is above the pastern, so the "long pastern area" is the pastern

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Texas is a state that clings to its folklore. The people in the Hill Country still talk about the juniper (cedar) that traveled on the backs of cattle coming from Mexico, when in reality it is a result of protection from fire.

George Santayana
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 60 invisible), 2,236 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,819
Posts18,496,482
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.