-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Choices are many. We thought a 9 pounder was fine years ago, now sub 7 pounds is the standard. I would use what ever one you would want in your hands if facing a mountain grizzly. Sheep seem to die easy according to sheep hunters.

I think I would go with the one with the most reliable trigger and a bolt that would field strip with out tools. All my Mod. 70's fill the bill.

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 02/04/18.
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
7-08, but I might be prejudiced, having shot my first two rams at about 20 yards and 50 yards, respectively, with a .243 that barely kept 5 under 2 inches for the last 40 years, until a couple months back I got her down to MOA by damn. Rather hunt with the .260 tho...

The 3rd year we hunted that place my wife took her ram with a 270 - at 35 yards..... Still have that rifle too, tho it's now a 30-06 with which I parked a caribou just today.

Knowing the range and your trajectory is more important than the caliber used. And in sheep hunting, light weight may well be too. Danged near anything will reach out with killing force well beyond 500 yards. If you can hit it properly.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by cwh2
...until its time to eat.

Actually, my goat was pretty damn good.

I have had a lot of really good goat...

Sheep still tastes like, well, sheep... good, but not worthy of the hype...

Just yesterday, I whipped up a batch of Bart's chili using a round roast from the goat. It was every bit as tasty as using a choice chuck roast.

[Linked Image]

Still, I was sweatin' it pretty hard for a while, there: while I was browning the meat, the whole kitchen smelled like a wet horse. shocked I definitely pick up the odor when I'm trimming roasts, forming burgers, or working with the steaks to marinate them. The cooked meat, however, has always tasted like really good beef, only with less fat. The steaks are on the chewy side, but the flavor is still excellent.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Gonna disagree with you, Art.

Until sheep has been in the freezer several months, I can't taste mutton flavor. Neither can my wife, and she absolutely won't touch mutton. But then, sheep doesn't generally last "several months" around our place. We consider it the best wild meat we have taken. Based on taste, not hype.

Can't tell the difference between Dall sheep or Rocky Mt. goat taste either, tho all I have to judge that by is one 2 year old goat, and a nanny.

I suspect anyone that dislikes wild goat probably shot a big 'ol stink billy in rut.

Last edited by las; 02/04/18.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
These are fun questions to answer and everybody has their angle. Personally, because I like light-to-carry and I have to admire what I'm carrying too or the hunt just isn't as enjoyable to me; that's just me..

Same here, if I do not admire what Im carrying I would just as soon not go.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Really? The hunt/trip boils down to what you carry?

I've carried that damned .243 on a lot of hunts, and enjoyed every one. The rifle was marginally adequate (It's a damned tool!!!!), but didn't make the hunt, or not.

Actually, a couple of those hunts are among the best, including my first and second full curl Dall rams.

Last edited by las; 02/04/18.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Really? The hunt/trip boils down to what you carry?

I've carried that damned .243 on a lot of hunts, and enjoyed every one. The rifle was marginally adequate (It's a damned tool!!!!), but didn't make the hunt, or not.

Actually, a couple of those hunts are among the best, including my first and second full curl Dall rams.

Perspective Larry, it is all about perspective!

I have hunted ugly guns, but I sure enjoy the notion of having something to work with when the camera comes out.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
20 YO pic 257 Ackley old Ram and a younger Kurt

Prefer a rifle that you can shoot well in steep country, eye cuts from a scope don,t help a hunt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kk alaska; 02/05/18.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kk alaska
20 YO pic 257 Ackley old Ram and a younger Kurt

Prefer a rifle that you can shoot well in steep country, eye cuts from a scope don,t help a hunt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A ram and an old goat in one picture!!!

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 18 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,960
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.