Print Thread
Hop To
C
camdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C

I am considering one in .270, the Mannlicher model.

Thoughts on a .270 in such a light rifle?

This possible purchase falls more into the want rather than need category.

Rifle feels and looks great.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
camdog, I don't have the Merkel, but have the Blaser K95, which is a very similar rifle in action, weight etc. Mine is in 270 Win. It is easily capable of .5" groups. I shot a couple close to 5/8" with cheap Remington Corlock 150 grain ammo. I hear that the Merkels are similarly accurate. My K95 with a Ziess Conquest 3x9x40, weighs 6 pounds 14 ounces. Recoil truely feels less than when shooting my Rem 600, 308 Win, which weighs 8 pounds. My Blaser has the American style stock. One thing that I do like about the Merkels is that many are available have iron sights. I don't think you can go wrong getting one. RJ

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by camdog

Camdog,
Has nothing to do with need. Everything to do with want. I worried about the feel of such a petite rifle before I ever handled one. They are a joy to carry and lock up like a vault. One caveat, in my case anyway, you may start inventing reasons to hunt with your Merkel and leave your other rifles at home, or in the truck and they may become jealous. LOL

Anyway, since you asked��������

I've gone through my magnum rifle, high magnification scope, heavy barrel, beanfield type rifle stage. As of late I've been trending toward lighter rifles, low magnification scopes, with cartridges that have muzzle velocities between 2500 and 2800 fps. For some reason Mannlicher stocked rifles have really caught my attention.
I�ve owned a number of T/C�s, handi-rifles, Ruger number 1�s and Model 21,22 & 38 Coopers. All being single shot. I hunt deer, hogs and varmints. So charging rhino or bull elephant not being in evidence, it�s very seldom that my life is at risk if I can�t make an immediate follow up shot. How many times on game have you needed an immediate second shot.
Over the last several years I've lusted for a Merkel K1 stalking rifle. The problem is I have stringent parameters. My desire in the beginning was that the rifle had to be no more than 70% of MSRP, either 7mm or 30, cal and it had to be the Jagd Stutzen (Mannlicher stock), and I had to have the money when it came time to buy.

[Linked Image]

I finally got my Merkel K1 Jagd Stutzen around June of last year (2012). It is chambered for the 7mm-08.

The first opportunity I had to hunt it was a bear hunt with hound in the Lincoln National forest near Capitan New Mexico. Elevation was only 7,000� +/-. However I�m a flat-lander and I knew I�d be chasing up hills and down hollers. Wanted something light that would fit in a pack, and that if necessary I could quickly use irons. The K1 has Recknagel mounts. They are a pivot mount that click into place. You can remove or re-attach your scope in seconds. It returns to zero every time. Breaks down for easy transport.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Drew first blood on a New Mexico black bear hunt in August.

[Linked Image]

Shot a number of porkers last fall and early this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
a double

I make the observation that I�m just one rifle away from being satisfied so, almost immediately I began my quest for another barrel.

I tried for months to get a 9.3 x 74R barrel and fore-end for the Jagd Stutzen to no avail.

A friend saw this while I was out of touch at my lease and snagged it for me.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Merkel/IMG_0139_zps56dec649.jpg[/img]
Merkel K1 Stalking rifle, 9.3 x 74R

I was not able to score on my first outing. The porkers did not co-operate. However two weeks ago I scored on this small sow. Two hundred eighty-six gr. Partition at 2150 fps., DRT.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/IMG_0848_zps9167104a.jpg[/img]

Needless to say, I�m jazzed about these two shooters. Both do sub inch off the bench at 100 yds with my handloads. The 9.3 X74R has a pretty good pop that you notice off the bench. However, not so you notice the one or two times you�ll shoot it in the field.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Merkel/IMG_0147_zpsfc2c7f40.jpg[/img]

As a coda, I found a K1 stalker, used in 300 Win Mag that I have put on Lay Away. Only a month or so and I�ll have it in. That will give me a trio.
7mm-08
9.3 x 74R
300 Win Mag.
Should cover most bases

Best

GWB

PS: RJ308, my Merkel K1's want to be K95's when they grow up. LOL

Last edited by geedubya; 06/02/13.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by camdog

My .308 Win was a dream to carry, and didn't knock the b'Jesus out of me when it came time to pull the trigger. (.270 Win should be slightly softer.)

They are made like a BMW. Mine has the same mount system as "Gdubya" talks about. Far superior to the "claw" style in my humble opinion. When you take it off, and put it back on it clicks into position like a fine tuned piece of machinery.

Well made and you're only on this earth for a short time. Far too short of a time to hunt with an ugly rifle.

Bottom rifle:

[Linked Image]

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A good friend's dad has one in 308 that I sighted in for him. Not only was it enjoyable to shoot but it shot Hornady 150 SPs under 1" at 100 yards. As light as it was I knew recoil would be questionable from the bench but the design of the stock made it comfortable. If I was in the market for one, would have no questions buying one. Points, handles, and shoots well, not to mention a classic rifle to hunt with.

IC B2

C
camdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I really enjoyed the photos and stories. Some really beautiful rifles.

Thanks again.

Last edited by camdog; 06/02/13.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Muledeer has a .308 Merkel and has praised it in a number of articles. Only one thing "wrong" with 'em. Cost.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1moredeer, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,400
Posts18,470,126
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.