Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by byc
Remington-Federal? Or do you just prefer not to say?

Glad to hear all is well.

David

I'm VERY glad that all's well, too.

The coy dodging around as to WHAT [bleep]' BRAND HEADSTAMP / LOT # is aggravating BS.

WTF, ....OVER ?

Looks to me like the thing fired out of battery, and that ANY ammo would have pretty much done the same.

GTC
There's nothing coy about it. I just didn't want to mention the maker before checking with the gang here and seeing if there were similar problems. The gun is not real old but has been fired a number of times with no problems. The ammo is fairly fresh and of a major maker. The gun is not a jam-o-matic like the 10-22 I mentioned. The chamber appears unblemished after the incident and appeared clean before I sprayed it out and wiped it down.

If I was more sure it was the ammo, certainly I would rat out the manufacturer.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BC30cal
EthanEdwards;
I'm thankful to read that your son wasn't hurt by the case head separation.

While I've experience case failures in rimfires, typically they didn't look like your photo if fired when supported properly in the chamber.

As crossfire has already said, I'd suspect that for whatever cause the rifle fired before the case was completely chambered.

I'd be curious if the bullet hit it's intended target or perhaps better said if you could ascertain if it flew "normally". That may or may not indicate a higher than normal pressure load though I'd admit.

While I'd not be inclined to fire anymore of that box in a semi-auto, if it were me I'd be interested to see if it fired normally in a strong bolt action.

If it does, it might be indicative of a problem with the Marlin and not the ammunition.

Again its good to read nothing worse happened to your son and good luck in your search for clues here.

Regards,
Dwayne
Thanks for the kind words Dwayne. All I know is it sounded strange. I've never had one blow like that. I don't have a bolt action .22, but I've got a couple of levers. I may try some of it in them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by byc

David

The coy dodging around as to WHAT [bleep]' BRAND HEADSTAMP / LOT # is aggravating BS.

WTF, ....OVER ?

Looks to me like the thing fired out of battery, and that ANY ammo would have pretty much done the same.

GTC
There's nothing coy about it. I just didn't want to mention the maker before checking with the gang here and seeing if there were similar problems. The gun is not real old but has been fired a number of times with no problems. The ammo is fairly fresh and of a major maker. The gun is not a jam-o-matic like the 10-22 I mentioned. The chamber appears unblemished after the incident and appeared clean before I sprayed it out and wiped it down.

So,....ANSWER Bristoe's question, than, for starters.

COY ?,
....crap sakes you could be on stage doing a Chinese fan dance,

.......but that's just one man's opinion.

It's NOT an "Ammo issue" , the case shows CLEARLY that the arm fired out of battery.

That is not a "case head separation" it's what's properly called a sidewall rupture or unsupported case failure.

Blurry pics, lame apologies, and refusal to call out a # / Mfg. are not only COY,....they're somewhat half assed, and not just a little aggravating.

But by all means, ....carry on.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
B
Happened to my cousin one time when we were shooting Aprillia .22 primer only loads. He was shooting a Marlin 39 lever action. We we taking careful shots, so know it did not happen on closing the bolt. It peppered his face good and dusted his right cornea with dots of powder from the primer and a few tiny flecks of brass. I held him down and irrigated his eye with a full water bottle and he did OK.

The fired case looked just like your pictures.

Made me a believer in always wearing eye protection.

Bud

Last edited by BudLightyear; 06/09/13.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by byc

David

WTF, ....OVER ?

GTC

So,....ANSWER Bristoe's question, than, for starters.

COY ?,
....crap sakes you could be on stage doing a Chinese fan dance,

.......but that's just one man's opinion.

It's NOT an "Ammo issue" , the case shows CLEARLY that the arm fired out of battery.

That is not a "case head separation" it's what's properly called a sidewall rupture or unsupported case failure.

Blurry pics, lame apologies, and refusal to call out a # / Mfg. are not only COY,....they're somewhat half assed, and not just a little aggravating.

But by all means, ....carry on.

GTC

The pics were as good as my wife could take them. I don't want to call out ammo when the problem may be my gun, as per my explanation. I asked what the problem may be and got several answers that allow for non-ammunition problems. The frick is your problem?

I'll be checking the ammo, most likely, in a different, non-semi-auto gun. If I encounter obvious ammunition problems, you can be assured I would not want somebody else hurting themselves, so I'd be posting it. What more do you want Chief?

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 06/09/13.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BudLightyear
Happened to my cousin one time when we were shooting Aprillia .22 primer only loads. He was shooting a Marlin 39 lever action. We we taking careful shots, so know it did not happen on closing the bolt. It peppered his face good and dusted his right cornea with dots of powder from the primer and a few tiny flecks of brass. I held him down and irrigated his eye with a full water bottle and he did OK.

The fired case looked just like your pictures.

Made me a believer in always wearing eye protection.

Bud

No kidding on that eye protection. Glad y'all are okay. This was domestic, premium .22 ammo. Target-grade.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What more do you want Chief?

Answer Bristoe's question, maybe ?

regarding Win's re-call ?

Dancing Fans and a Kimono COY,.......do you think any major ammo mfg cares if you can't maintain a semi auto in safe, clean operating condition ?

Tech tip: BALLOON HEAD cases, by definition don't HAVE a "Case Head", therefor can't have the horsechit callout/ title you chose for the OP.

Glad that all eyes and appendages involved prosper. Not surprised in the least at your brain function / application applied thereby to this problem, either.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bea175
clean the barrel and chamber

++1 And the rest of the action too. please

A buddy had something similar happen in a semi-auto that had received minimal cleaning.
Pieces of shell casing most painfully penetrated his thumb w/o pulling trigger ...

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
What more do you want Chief?

Answer Bristoe's question, maybe ?

regarding Win's re-call ?

Dancing Fans and a Kimono COY,.......do you think any major ammo mfg cares if you can't maintain a semi auto in safe, clean operating condition ?

Tech tip: BALLOON HEAD cases, by definition don't HAVE a "Case Head", therefor can't have the horsechit callout/ title you chose for the OP.

Glad that all eyes and appendages involved prosper. Not surprised in the least at your brain function / application applied thereby to this problem, either.

GTC

Calling into question another's "brain function" when you yourself can't catch that I already answered Bristoe's question in the 6th reply to my own OP is more than slightly lame. My weaponry is all functional.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Originally Posted by bea175
clean the barrel and chamber

++1 And the rest of the action too. please

A buddy had something similar happen in a semi-auto that had received minimal cleaning.
Pieces of shell casing most painfully penetrated his thumb w/o pulling trigger ...
As I said, I'll give it a thorough cleaning, but for having hung in the barn, it was already pretty clean. I've certainly fired guns that were tons grungier than this one. An average semi-auto .22 would be dirtier after a couple hundred rounds than this one was.

I forgot to say in the OP that I had to dig the case out...so the gun didn't extract it on its own.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 06/09/13.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Write all these surmises and suggestions on separate slips of paper.

Fold 'em neatly.

Put 'em in a hat (crown-down, of course!)

Shake 'em or stir 'em well.

Blindfold somebody.

Have 'im pick one.

Apparently, any one's as good as any other � right?

If not, how are you going to know which one makes the most sense?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like you had a 22 fire out of battery, fired before the bolt locked.
I've had it happen several times and mostly attributed it to dirty chamber.
Other than being louder than a regular discharge, nothing happened to injure me.
I recall one, the last was with Remington ammo and a Remington 552 auto.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW
Looks like you had a 22 fire out of battery, fired before the bolt locked.

What evidence would suggest that the case burst on its way into battery position rather than when it was forced backward prematurely by excessive blow-back?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I forgot to say in the OP that I had to dig the case out...so the gun didn't extract it on its own.

Here are some questions for which answers may help in dissecting the cause of the ruptured case.

Was the image altered (e.g. photoshopped) before posting? There's no detectable headstamp on the ruptured case shown.

Is there evidence of a firing pin strike on the case? The photos are so blurry on my monitor that it is not possible to detect this.

Did you directly observe the firing of the rifle when the cartridge ruptured, or was the rifle with the ruptured case brought to you after the rupture occurred?

For the case shown in the photos, did the cartridge fire in response to a separate pull of the trigger? Did the rifle fire as the cartridge was being chambered without a separate operation of the trigger?

Did the firing of the problem cartridge cause the bolt to be blown to the rear sufficiently to strip another cartridge from the clip and jam it against the fired case still stuck in the chamber? After the firing of the problem cartridge was the bolt face resting directly against the blown case?

How much of the damage to the fired case shown in the photo occurred as a result of digging the case out of the chamber?

From which shoulder was your boy operating the rifle when the incident occurred? If from the right shoulder, it's difficult to imagine how it happened "right in my boy's face". (The ejection port is on the right side of the action, correct?) Was the rifle being fired from the left shoulder? Was it being fired unshouldered, so the operator was facing the port? The answer may not bear on the direct cause of the rupture, but it will help in visualizing what was going on at the time of the rupture.

--Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had that happen with a Wildcat in a Ruger Mark I many years ago

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad your youngun is ok Mark. Scheit happens sometimes.

Sam......

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Glad to hear the boy is ok,
A fine example of WHY we wear safety glasses.
Even for a .22.

I would be contacting the ammo mnfg. for an explaination.
They will request a box or two of the offending amo for testing.
But will most likely send a brick in return.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Fortunately nothing happened other than a smokin' receiver, but it was disquieting. I've never had this happen. It was in a 795 Marlin semi-auto. Anybody see this before?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry for the less-than-stellar closeups.

We'd been firing the gun and had fired a clip or two through it. This wasn't the first or last round in the magazine. It was about four from the last. Gun itself appears to be okay.
Funny you ask about this.. Not a week ago the local sporting goods store had me look at a Rem M552 that would not allow a shell to chamber.. I tore it apart and found the casing (no head) of a .22 shell wedged in the chamber.. I don't recall that I've ever had one in the shop before. Centerfire? Yes.. Rimfire? Never...

Good to hear your boy is OK EE...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't read every reply, but those I did offered sound advice and possible reasons for this happening. One thing I'll add, is the absolute necessity that everyone shooting needs to wear safety glasses. A $5.00 pair of polycarbonate safety glasses is cheap protection against a blinding accident.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad nothing bad happened to your boy EE. I have seen that happen but it hasn't happened to me since I quit making zip guns our of car radio antenna long years ago. grin

Quando Omni Moritati
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.