Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave7mm

Would not touch a Leupold with a 10 foot pole.
Lots of used Nightforces around for low $.
Do yourself a favor and get a real scope, not an excuse...

dave

Shot with a Leupold VX2

[Linked Image]

Shot with a Mark 4

[Linked Image]

Killed at 760 yards with a VX3

[Linked Image]

Shot with a Mark 4

[Linked Image]

565 yards with a VX3

[Linked Image]

934 yards with a VX2

[Linked Image]

I also have Leupold scopes on all my competition rifles

1. Course Record matching score of 58 at Whittington's Sporting Rifle Match

2. Runner Up finish at the 2013 Steel Safari

3. 13th Place at the 2013 Sniper's Hide Cup

4. 16th Place at the 2012 Sniper's Hide Cup

5. First Place finish at the most heavily attended SRM in July 2010

Yeah, those Leupolds really suck. laugh

Just began load development on a .338 Norma Magnum with a brand new Nightforce on it yesterday.

It failed after 2 shots.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
6XC brass is still available.

Midway posted it may be in stock around 7/31...

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Easy to form 6XC if you want to go that route. That's what I have done with mine

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

dave

Shot with a Leupold VX2

[Linked Image]

Shot with a Mark 4

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shot with a Mark 4

[Linked Image]

565 yards with a VX3

[Linked Image]

934 yards with a VX2

[Linked Image]

Just began load development on a .338 Norma Magnum with a brand new Nightforce on it yesterday.

It failed after 2 shots.

Hey rc

Sure the Loop-olds are a functional optical sight and kudus to ya (intentional misspelling)

But! Sorta like taking a trip from Florida to California in a S10 with no AC and old shocks compared to traveling in a new Ford Platinum series

Sometimes just how you get there matters!

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
260 -or- 6.5 Creed x47 Lapua.

fixt....and I love all the Leupold bashers here you guys kill me.... laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woods

dave

Shot with a Leupold VX2

[Linked Image]

Shot with a Mark 4

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shot with a Mark 4

[Linked Image]

565 yards with a VX3

[Linked Image]

934 yards with a VX2

[Linked Image]

It failed after 2 shots.

Hey rc

Sure the Loop-olds are a functional optical sight and kudus to ya (intentional misspelling)

But! Sorta like taking a trip from Florida to California in a S10 with no AC and old shocks compared to traveling in a new Ford Platinum series

Sometimes just how you get there matters!

Get real.

My gunsmith has a 3500$ March scope. While doing the precision mount on my Creedmoor of a Leupold Mark 4 M5 A2, he compared the glass side by side of both scopes by viewing the mountain range east of town. He had to admit that the Leupold's glass blew away his March.

He also proclaimed it the best scope he's ever evaluated as to function.

Someday you'll realize that most goobers who own Range Rovers never take them off-road and a stock CJ-5 will go more places.

They just care about how they look to others.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Someday you'll realize that most goobers who own Range Rovers never take them off-road and a stock CJ-5 will go more places.

They just care about how they look to others.

Pretty well sums it up about some of the posters on this thread...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
6.5x47 Lapua 1-8 twisted with 123g AMAX.
Rifle weigh to suit you..
Easy to tune.
Great brass.
Long barrel life.
Enough punch to get to 1k.
The AMAX will turn stuff inside out.

dave

so Famous Dave what is the average distance you shoot with that [bleep] bender? Truthfully now.........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plus, E's statement may have been true years ago, but they've relied too much on their name and reputation for too long and let their competitors catch up and surpass them in features, performance, and value: $ spent. They still make good stuff, but they've had to come to the realization that others are now offering superior products for the same or less $. That fact is evident by all the recent changes in their product lines. They've always been the benchmark for great warranty & customer service, but some of their competitors are now offering warranties and CS just as good. For many years, they touted their "made in US" status, yet the only parts content that is made in Oregon is their scope tubes and mechanical parts of scopes. Everything else, including lenses for their scopes and entire optical product lines outside of riflescopes, is outsourced to Asia. They are really no more American made than Meopta Meopro, Zeiss Conquest, Trijicon Accupont, and others that are assembled in the US from parts made elsewhere.

Technologies borrowed from the VX7 series is used in VX3, at a much lower price. Because of this, the VX3 is now equal to their competitors in the same price range. They've tried repeatedly to compete head to head with the high end Euro scopes with their LPS and VX-7 scopes, and they weren't successful, as evidenced by the new VX6 series coming out that's intended to replace VX7 at a much lower price point (sub- $1K). Comparing feature to feature, their MK4 series tactical / military scopes don't stack up well at all against current offerings from just about everyone else -- Nightforce, S&B, Premier, Hensoldt, Vortex, US Optics, IOR, Kahles, March, and others, all of whom offer better optical performance, better adjustments, better knobs, wider zoom ratios, and better reticles. The MK4 optically lags behind even their own VX3 series. The very fact they are introducing several new tactical scope series is their admission they need to improve.

The upside to all this is Leupold is being forced to up their game, and we all benefit from the stiff competition by having better optics available from not just Leupold, but everyone else.

Thats a pretty astute observation there RifleDude.
In markets that they should by all rights own,there now tail end charlies.
A general rule of thumb is that loopie,these days,is about 7 to 10 years behind,everyone else.

I stopped drinking the coolaid several decades ago.

dave

Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
What the heck is up with all of the Brand Hatred on this forum?! Take a look at the "Brand Loyalty" thread and, as most other threads in hunting optics, it just turns into a Leupold bashing frenzie.

Do you Leupy haters all work for Bushnell or Zeiss? I own Leupolds, Burris and Nikons. I prefer Leupolds for many reasons but that is besides the point.

The point of this thread is WTF??!! I just don't understand how or why you Leupy haters get so worked up. You like Ziess better? Well good on ya. You like a different brand than I do? That's nice but why is it so important to you Leupy bashers that you have to resort to name calling and juvenile behavior?
You leupold haters have made the optics page about useless with your constant tirades of hate.

Guess I'd better get to a shrink and figure out why I don't have the same passion and desire for everyone to like the same scopes I do.

From Lowlight on Snipers Hide:
Originally Posted by Lowlight

So what do you tell the guy who traveled 1200 miles to take a class.. he paid $1500 for the class, plus rental car, hotels, meals, and by the first day it fails... now he goes from what he thought was a solid optics with a stellar reputation to being the guy holding up the class while we run up, get a new scope for him, usually I am pulling one of my NF off to switch it for him. If you want to play the one up and working, the NF I use is heavily used, my S&Bs too, and guess what, of all of them, with more combined rounds than I can count, and only one scope has ever gone back for repair. They well worn and definitely show signs of use.

yes, other brands fail, but not nearly with the frequency as we are seeing with Leupold. it's every week in some cases, and even in the military classes we have Nightforce on the unit rifles next to Leupold... but I don't see the NF failing nearly as much, it's stark the reality of it, especially when you see more than 1 or 2 a week.

It's easily 20 to 1 when you compare the Nightforces on the line with the military units, this last class had 4 Leupolds on the line, 1 failed the first day, the remainders where USO, NF, and S&B... Do we see others fail, sure but not nearly as much.

If you want to start a generic scope failure thread go ahead, but don't be surprised by the results. Facts are what the facts are, in a class of 15 Leupolds on the line I expect and account for anywhere from 2 to 5 scopes to go down, I don't figure that with the same number of NF on the line. Its closer to 1 per every six months of classes, not 1 for every six people.

I wouldn't call that Brand Hatred.
More like a statment of fact.
I personally dont care for 20 to 1 odds that im going to have a problem.
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
You leupold haters have made the optics page about useless

The flip side of that could be.
"You leupold coolaid drinkers have made the optics page about useless"
See,it works both ways.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Dave,

Are your conclusions based on hearsay or first hand experience? Please describe the method you use to evaluate a rifle scope. Have you compared all the offerings in the market?

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hey Dave,

Are your conclusions based on hearsay or first hand experience? Please describe the method you use to evaluate a rifle scope. Have you compared all the offerings in the market?

Hello there RC. Good to see you're still alive and kickin!

[Linked Image]

May actually try to stretch it out a bit this fall.

[Linked Image]

first opening +/225 yds.

bump gate +/- 660 yds.

out to infinity.

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same to you geedubya! If you're gonna stretch it out, better put some twisty turny thingys on the mid section of that tube!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Same to you geedubya! If you're gonna stretch it out, better put some twisty turny thingys on the mid section of that tube!

May have to get with you on that. But that's not the rifle I'll be using.

I've a couple senderos in 7 stw and 338 RUM, and a Rem. 700 KS in 300 H&H. that I may play with. I got a Leupold B&C and a couple CDS's that I may send in for a dial. I'll try some targets at 650 or so before I try on hogs. Should be a fun/frustrating experience.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/30/13.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got in from re-shooting the Audette at 430 yds with the .338 NM and 300 gr Berger

Here's what the first Audette looked like with the Sooper-Dooper Nightfarce scope that failed after 2 shots (brand new)...

[Linked Image]

The above was shot in perfect, no wind conditions. Couldn't keep them on 2 sheets of 8 1/2" x 11" paper through the ladder

Here's what the Audette looks like shot with a good Vortex Viper FFP at the same range but not even in perfect conditions. Shot in 10+ mph R to L crosswind

[Linked Image]

The entire ladder is less than MOA. The node of 2 through 5 has less than 1" of vertical

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
famous dave still hasn't answered questions asked of him...........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Standing by....

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had a new Leupold with an M1 die within two range sessions from a hard kicking 9lb 243. crazy

It was my third one to croak, and the 5th one that needed service since two came out of the box with retardedly stiff power rings.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In 35 years of using them...nary an issue.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I had a new Leupold with an M1 die within two range sessions from a hard kicking 9lb 243. crazy

It was my third one to croak, and the 5th one that needed service since two came out of the box with retardedly stiff power rings.

usually due to over tightening the scope mounting rear ring...

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,097 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.