-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There you go; confusing this genetics expert with facts.

Left alone for only a few generations, almost all feral hogs with no Russian in their gene pool will become black, because black is a dominant COLOR gene.

And a domestic boar has just as much chance of growing large cutters as a feral hog if he is turned out to fend for himself.

For what it's worth, I saw a home video once that, when played in slow motion, revealed a hog's lower jaw becoming practically unhinged when he swung his head defensively. It increased his cutting radius by quite a bit. It was too fast to see with the naked eye, but explained how even an experienced bay dog can misjudge and get cut, even out in the open.

Also, in the FWIW vein;

I was in Pensacola on business and we ate supper at a place called;"The Boar's Den" or something. I was seated facing the feral hog's head that was mounted on the wall.

It was not a particularly large hog, and something about it was strange. Upon examining it closer, I saw that the taxidermist had the cutters coming out of the hog's UPPER jaw!

I gotta admit that it looked more impressive that way.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd bet money that feral hogs, sows and shoats, can be herded with good dogs, just like them free-range hogs 200 years ago.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I was all stirred up to hunt hogs back in the 80's and studied up on them a bit.

It's been a while, but from what I recall,...people used to free range their hogs in the southeastern mountains. Many of them were never harvested and went feral. That's where most of the wild hog population originated from.

Also, some fat cat back in the late 1800's imported some Russian Boar and put them in a fenced off reserve for him and his fat cat buddies to hunt,..I forget the loacation,...but it was in the southeastern U.S.

As soon as his back was turned the boar rooted under the fences and were gone.

Obviously, they bred with the feral hog population.

The wild hogs with a lot of Russian boar genes are referred to as "mulefoot" boars,...because they don't have a cloven hoof like domesticated hogs.

Even without the Russian Boar genes, a feral hog will regress into a black, long snouted, narrow rumped, tusk bearing, hot tempered chunk of ham after a few generations,...which doesn't take all that long.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i've heard tell of taxidermists extracting the real cutters and installing much larger plastic cutters for the added drama and adventure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The wild hogs with a lot of Russian boar genes are referred to as "mulefoot" boars,...because they don't have a cloven hoof like domesticated hogs.

There is also a domestic breed with mule feet. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
mulefooted is a whole other breed.

everything you want to know about feral hogs can be found in this web site. http://www.texasboars.com/

http://www.texasboars.com/articles/mulefoot.html

THE MULE FOOTED HOG and its ORIGIN
Reported by Kevin Ryer

Here in East Tx we run across the rare breed only occasionally. They seem rather prolific around Athens, Palestine, Van and Lindale areas. All the MuleFoots I have ran across were prodominately black and tan in color.
When trapped they were unusually aggressive strong animals. More so than the normal feral hogs. Early research indicated that the hogs were first introduced to the US by Easterners in the Early Railroad Days. But I have found no written or historical evidence to back up that claim.

The following information was obtained from an Oklahoma State University web page. I reference that web page to make and publish a study and facts page of my own.

According to OSU and it's research, "The most distinctive feature of the American Mulefoot hog is the solid hoof which resembles that of a mule. Pigs with solid hooves (also called syndactylism) have attracted the interest of many writers over the centuries, including Aristotle and Darwin. Yet of all the mulefooted hogs described, the American Mulefoot is the only documented population with a breed standard and a long history of agricultural use. This breed is unique to the United States and is critically rare. Recent events, however, have led to more optimism regarding its survival. The origin of the American Mulefoot breed is not clear, but it has a well-documented history over the last century. F.D. Coburn, in his classic 1916 book Swine in America, notes that the Mulefoot hog was found in Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Indiana, across the southwest and in some parts of Mexico. (In southern Missouri and northern Arkansas, Mulefoots were sometimes called "Ozark pigs.") The National Mulefoot Hog Record Association was organized in Indianapolis, Indiana, in January 1908. Two additional registries were also founded. In 1910 there were 235 breeders registered in twenty-two states."

"Coburn describes Mulefoot hogs as mainly black, with occasional animals having white points; medium flop ears; and a soft hair coat. The hogs were of fairly gentle disposition, fattened quite easily, and weighed from 400-600 pounds at two years of age. They were considered the highest quality "ham hogs" and were fed to great weights before slaughter. For some years breeders claimed that Mulefoots were immune to hog cholera. That claim has been disproved, though the breed does seem to possess remarkable hardiness."

"Mulefoots were taken to Canada between 1900 and 1920 but no attempt was made to establish a herd book and pedigree records were not maintained according to J. W. MacEwan in The Breeds of Farm Livestock in Canada, 1941."

"Today, the Mulefoot is the rarest of American swine breeds. It has been a conservation priority for American Livestock Breeds Conservancy for over a decade. A very thick file of correspondence attests to continued attempts to locate and evaluate additional populations and establish new breeding groups."

The report went on to say that, "A remnant population of the American Mulefoot has been owned by R.M. Holliday of Louisiana, Missouri, for nearly forty years. He remembers from boyhood that his family and others raised these hogs by putting them on islands in the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers to forage during the summer and then rounding them up in the fall for slaughter. This practice was terminated by the Army Corps of Engineers in the 1950s."

"In 1964 Mr. Holliday gathered together stock from all the known breeders and established his herd. During 1976 he swapped animals with a breeder in North Dakota, which introduced some undesirable traits such as prick ears, wattles and split hooves. Nevertheless, Holliday's strong and consistent production selection has maintained a generally uniform and characteristic herd. After his experience with this "exotic" animal dealer he sold no more stock except those contracted for slaughter. During these years the Mulefoot registries folded and all known copies of the herd books were lost."

The report also states, "In the fall of 1993, Mark Fields in cooperation with ALBC, contacted Mr. Holliday in an attempt to purchase a few animals and begin a Mulefoot herd. After several lengthy phone conversations it was agreed that he could go to Holliday's farm to view the herds. Mr. Holliday agreed to sell a small breeding group. After spending time with Mr. Holliday and learning about the recent history of the breed, Mr. Fields decided to reactivate the Mulefoot hog registry. This has been a frustrating task since the registry information was destroyed after the death of the last registry secretary in the 1960s."

"Mr. Holliday made additional stock available and Fields has assisted the movement of a herd to Iowa, where Kent Whealy of Seed Savers Exchange coordinated their distribution to four breeders."

"The Mulefoot hog population is classified as Critical by the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy (fewer than 200 in annual registration). However its outlook is improving. It is now being raised by breeders across the state of Missouri and additional stock has recently been sent to Georgia. Anyone interested in raising this breed of swine should contact the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy or the National Mulefoot Hog Association."

National Mulefoot Hog Association
Kevin Powell
12942 - 338th Street
Strawberry Point, IA 52076
ph (319) 933-2252
email powellksquared.com

Reference:
Oklahoma State University website.
Correspondence from Mark A. Fields, Route 1 Box 126, Clark, MO 65243
Conservation Priority Livestock Breeds 1995, The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, Box 477,
Pittsboro, NC 27312. Phone: (919) 542-5704"

In conclusion, the Mulefooted Hog and it's origin is still a mystery. No doubt it will remain a rare find for quiet some time in the future.

Thanks for reading.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dunno the rest of the genetics, but I see lots of feral hogs, fairly tame ones inside the city limits, a couple of sounders rest up in the brush within 50 yards of a busy bike path in the Missions park, you can walk right up on 'em. Sometimes they come up our back alley at night.

The most common colors here are black, and a sort of piebald tan and black. Might be sex-linked, I don't recall seeing a tan and black adult boar.

The REALLY huge boars have long straight backs, about like domestic pigs. Only a very few of them.

Their tracks are just regular pig tracks.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I'd bet money that feral hogs, sows and shoats, can be herded with good dogs, just like them free-range hogs 200 years ago.

You would win your bet, even with SOME boars. Open country and REALLY good bay dogs are all that's required.

Ben Jordan of Smithville Ok. had BMC dogs as good as ever walked. We traded back and forth. He ran cattle on a few hundred acres of deeded land and a bunch of the Quachita Forest. There were no working pens in the Nat'l Forest so he relied on his dogs.

He come across 4 old boars at one of his water tanks while riding back home, and he sic'ed his dogs on 'em and they bayed 'em up. There was one that kept breaking bay, and Ben roped him.

After being drug aways on the gravel road, that old boar had a change of heart and fell in with the rest. When Ben got home- 3 or 4 miles as I recall - he put the hogs in a lot for the night.

There was a Pioneer Celebration taking place the next day at Smithville or a neighboring larger town, I forget which, but Smithville ain't very big so it might have been another town, and Ol' Ben just turned them hogs out and drove 'em right into town !

He showed me the newspaper clipping and pictures of him driving them down Main St.

V.K. Sowell of Edna Tx told me of driving hogs with his Blackmouth cowdogs, as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
http://www.texasboars.com/articles/facts.html

THE FACTS ON WILD FERAL HOGS

I've been trapping, breeding, and raising WILD HOGS both free roam and enclosed now for years. Based on my experience, studies and what I have observed, ALONG with studies from Universities such as Texas A&M I have provided the following Facts and answers.

The first true Pigs were brought to the United States by Hernando de Sota to the Atlantic Coast of Florida in 1539.

The First "Pure Russian" wild boars were brought into the US by Austin Corbin. They were released into a 20,000 acre enclosure in Sullivan County New Hampshire in 1890.

SOME FAST FACTS AS OF 2006:
STATES WITH FERAL HOGS: 39, plus 4 Canadian provinces.
TEXAS COUNTIES with Feral Hogs, 225 out of 254 counties.
HOG POULATION IN TEXAS; 2,000,000 (MILLION)+!
NATIONAL POPULATION is estimated at around 4,000,000.
ESTIMATED ANNUAL AGG DAMAGE from feral swine $52 MILLION!
LANDOWNER ANNUAL EXPENSE to control feral swine $7 MILLION
NATURAL LIFE EXPECTANCY OF A FERAL SWINE IS 6 to 8 years.
AVERAGE SIZE of feral swine is 100 to 150 pounds, but depending on the region can obtain sizes in excess of 600 lbs.
REPRODUCTION OF FERAL SWINE: Once a sow reaches breeding age at 7 or 8 months of age they can be responsible for 1,000 plus feral swine in a 5 year period. The State of Texas had an estimated population of around 2 MILLION at last check.
( If 1/4 are breeding sows!? ) In my opinion the current contribution to the exploding feral swine population is HUMAN IGNORANCE, such as catch and release, or those who feel killing animals is cruel. Allowing them to populate unchecked would be a cruel blow to our native habitat and wildlife!

IN YEARS PAST the major contributor to the feral hog population was attributed to the now obsolete practice of "free roam farming." Hog Farmers would brand/mark their hogs and release them into the open woods to roam free breed and grow.
when the farmers were ready to gather the hogs they would round them up and herd them into catch pens with their Hog Dogs.
The hogs were separated by their brand/mark and or breed and claimed by the farmers.
As you can guess many were never recovered and they were left to roam free as feral hogs.
Currently, the spread of feral hogs are mainly due to the misguided practice of CATCH and RELEASE. Hogs get trapped in one area, then transported to another area and released. This is usually done for future hunting purposes.

The downfall of Free Roam Farming is due to 2 factors. The first was dwindling space due to development and crop farms. The second was the demand for "Hard Fat.
"Soft Fat" is no longer considered desirable food for the table. Feral Hogs are carriers of many diseases. Included are Swine Brucellosis, Pseudorabies, tuberculosis and Hog Cholera.

The average litter of a feral sow is 4-6. This depends greatly on the breed of the feral hog and the food availability. Feral Sow which have just escaped or feral sow that retain much of their domestic breeding will have larger litters.
Also wild sow perform baby sitting duties. In other words the litters from many sow can and will be watched over and suckled by one sow while the others are off feeding. (this practice accounts for the sometimes LARGE number of babies spotted with one sow)

Wild Hogs have a very highly developed sense of smell which will match or even rival that of other competing wild life.
Their sense of hearing is also highly developed.
Their eye sight is severely under estimated, according to Universities who have studied them. Others who have raised them tend to agree with this opinion also, as do I.
I, myself can contribute to this. At over 100 yards my hogs can distinguish not only a human figure, but have eyesight that is capable of distinguishing a "human friend" or "STRANGER" from facial characteristics and build.
They will come running upon my father's or my recognition, to be fed. They will leave running when a stranger approaches. This recognition process has been observed consistently at 100 + yards. They can easily see me coming at 250 + yards. They may not run, they may not pay attention, but don't think they can't see you. Hog are at a disadvantage when it comes to sight mainly because of their low profile. They can't raise their heads high like a deer or other wild animals to see over grass or vegetation.

According to many studies, hogs are very intelligent. Undoubtedly they are the most intelligent animal in the woods. Any hunter or trapper who hunts them specifically can easily make note of this fact.

Wild Hogs will eat both Plants and Animals. This classifies them as omnivores.

Texas and New Hampshire are the only 2 states where true Russian Boar may still exist on a rare basis. BUT, with hunters buying and releasing TRUE RUSSIAN BOARS into the wild this is ever changing.

Wild Boar are both good and safe to eat when prepared properly.

Wild Boar really do have a shield. This shield is considered scar tissue or a callus which becomes harder and thicker with age. The shield covers the hog, beginning from the neck to the last rib. This shield is generally about 1 inch thick, but can be more than 3 inches thick and is found mainly on the boar. It's purpose is to protect the boar during battles with each other.

The weight of fully matured feral hogs will vary from 200 pounds to over 700 pounds.
True Wild Boar or Russian Boar will weigh around 400 pounds when fully grown (4 - 5 years of age).
The weight of the feral hog is determined by the domestic breed line of the animal.
Characteristics of the True Wild Boar or Russian Boar:

Provided by the Interlake Wild Boar Co op ltd

The original range of wild boar was Eurasia and North Africa - from Ireland to Japan and southern Scandinavia to Egypt. Wild boar are the ancestors of the domestic pig, and the two species can be interbred. The terms standard and full-blood are applied to wild boar in Canada. Standards have some domestic pig in their background, while fullbloods are considered to be pure wild boar. Crosses of the two produce hybrid animals. Fullbloods can be more aggresive than hybrids or standard wild boar, particularly if they aren't raised in close contact with people. Physically, wild boar look very different from domestic pigs. They have smaller ears and much longer snouts; their tails are straight and tufted at the tip. Hair coloring is brown to black. Long bristles run from the head along the centre line of the back, and can be raised two to three inches from the body when wild boar are excited or agitated. With their hind legs shorter than front legs, wild boar have an "uphill" appearance. Mature wild boar measure up to 40 inches at the shoulder. Males can weigh up to 450 pounds and females up to 370 pounds. Wild boar are market-ready at 180 to 200 pounds. Genetics and nutrition play a significant role in the ability of individual wild boar to reach market weight between 14 and 18 months. Females can produce three litters per year under intense management and ideal conditions. However, two litters are more the norm. Gestation is 114 days. Litters average four to five young, although individual mature sows can produce as many as ten boarlets. Under adverse environmental conditions, the number of boarlets produced by a herd can average as few as one or two per sow. Young wild boar are born with Yellowish-brown coats with distinct dark stripes along the back providing camouflage coloring.
TOP OF PAGE
Noble Foundation

The following information source came from the Noble Foundation.
History

Feral hogs (Sus scrofa), which are wild swine from domestic ancestry, belong to the family Suidae. Actually, there are three types of wild hogs found in the United States: feral hogs, Eurasian wild boar (Russian) and hybrids between these two types. The hybrid of course is a cross between the feral hog and the Russian wild boar.
In the United States (U.S.), California, Florida and Texas have the highest numbers of feral hogs. Some of the Hawaiian Islands have substantial populations as well, and Oklahoma's population is healthy and growing. Even though these states and many others have populations of feral hogs, they are not indigenous (native) to the United States.
A hog-like animal, the javelina or collared peccary (Tayassu tajacu), is native to the southwest U.S. However, the feral hog is a different species, genus and family from the javelina which belongs to the family Tayassuidae.
Native to the Southwest U.S., the javelina is often confused with the feral hog. Javelinas are hog-like in appearance, however, they are not closely related. Photo: Dale Rollins
Ancestors of our swine date back to the Miocene. During the period when the world was shifting and forming new continents, the swine family was excluded from the new world. It was probably not until the discovery of the new world by European man that swine found their way into what is now the U.S. Early explorers such as Hernando Cortes and Hernando de Soto are largely responsible for their introduction. The swine these explorers brought over were domesticated and it was not until the 1930's that the Russian wild boar was introduced.
Current Status

Today, there are areas in the U.S. where the pure Russian wild boar (native to European and Asian continents) can still be found due to importation for sport hunting. However, most feral hogs are from domesticated swine. Feral hogs are in fact wild but are not a different species than domestic hogs or Russian boars. Webster's dictionary defines feral as: having escaped from domestication and become wild. Hence, all feral hogs in the U.S. up until the 1930's were from domestic stock. In a few areas where the Russian boar was imported for sport hunting, escapes have occurred resulting in feral / Russian crossbreeding.
Oklahoma-Texas Feral Hog Distribution: Darker areas = Denser Population.

The feral hog has been very successful in expanding its range and increasing its numbers. Its success can be attributed to several factors: free ranging method of husbandry; its introduction and reintroduction by hunters; water development in arid areas; improved range condition through better livestock grazing practices; and its ability to reproduce quite rapidly. Feral hog populations have also benefited from increased disease control in the domestic livestock industry.
Biological Characteristics

Ongoing studies are being conducted to determine distinguishable characteristics between domestic, feral, Russian and feral/Russian crosses through DNA testing, skull measurements, external body measurements, coat coloration patterns, bristles and other criteria. Much has been learned, but definite determinants have not yet been developed. Therefore, it should be pointed out that the following descriptions are general and relative in nature.
Description

In general, a feral hog looks like its domestic counterpart. Coat coloration patterns can vary from solid black, brown, blond, white, or red to spotted (various combinations of black, white, red, and brown) or belted. A belted hog has a white band across the shoulder and forelimbs. Feral hog bristle length is generally longer than a domestic hog but shorter than the hybrid or pure Russian. A feral hog can reach three feet in height and over 300 pounds in weight; however, the average sow weighs approximately 110 pounds and the average boar weighs 130 pounds.
A boar has four continually growing tusks that can be extremely sharp, and may reach five inches before they are broken or worn from use. Tusks are used for defense and to establish dominance during breeding. A male feral hog also develops a thick, tough skin composed of cartilage and scar tissue on the shoulder area which is sometimes referred to as a shield. The shield develops continually as the hog ages and through fighting.
Tusks which are found on the lower jaw, or mandible, can be extremely dangerous when put to use by a mature boar. The upper tusks, or whitters, help keep the lower tusk extremely sharp.
The pure Russian boar is generally light brown or black with a cream or tan color on the tips of the bristles. Its underside is lighter in color and its legs, ears and tail are darker than the rest of the coat. Its bristles are the longest of the three types of wild hogs. Pure Russian boars have longer legs and snouts and their head to body ratio is much greater than a feral hog. They also tend to have shorter, straighter tails.
Depending on ancestry, the physical characteristics of wild swine can vary greatly. Size, shape and color can all fluctuate. And all types of wild swine can raise their hair on the back of their necks giving them the look of a razorback.
Feral/Russian crosses exhibit combinations of features from both the feral and the Russian hogs. Bristle length in the hybrid is longer than the feral but shorter than the Russian. Hybrids exhibit the smallest bristle shaft diameters. Striped patterns on the young are sometimes thought to be an indicator of pure Russian or feral/Russian crosses; however, this pattern has also been found in feral piglets and therefore is not a reliable method of identification.
Predators

Another possible ally we have to aid in the control of feral hogs is the coyote. Piglets and small hogs can provide an excellent dinner for a coyote. There are known instances of an increase in the coyote population as feral hog populations increase. However, the extent that the coyote can control a hog population remains to be documented. Owls and bobcats also have been reported as predators of piglets and small pigs. In other parts of the U.S., mountain lion and black bear are also known predators.
Feral hogs represent many unknowns to biologists, wildlife managers, landowners and hunters, and as one biologist so precisely put it, "feral hogs are an ecological black box." Feral hogs in some areas have been credited with the perceived decline of the quail population, yet there are other areas where quail numbers are high and feral hogs are everywhere. They also receive credit for having a significant impact on wild turkey nests, various plant species and entire ecological systems. However, the actual effect hogs have on our environment remains unknown. More research and practical knowledge are needed to give us a better understanding of the feral hog and its influence on game and non-game species as well as the environment and its ecosystems.
We do know feral hogs can harbor and transmit some diseases and parasites to livestock and humans. We know feral hogs can have a significant negative impact on some livestock operations through depredation and damage to facilities and fences. Farmers also share a significant portion of the damage caused by the rooting of fields and depredation of crops. Feral hogs provide excellent table fare, represent a challenging game species to pursue with weapon or dog, and compete with the white-tailed deer in some areas as the most popular animal to hunt. As mentioned, there are many pro's and con's regarding the status of feral hogs and there always will be as long as we have biologists, farmers, ranchers, hunters, and of course, the feral hog.
Disease & Depredation

The feral hog has received a lot of credit for various disease and depredation problems but is sometimes wrongly accused, due to the destructive nature of some of their other activities. Feral hogs, like all animals, are susceptible to many infectious and parasitic diseases but probably cause more problems through rooting, wallowing and depredation. However, if caution is not used when handling hogs or when feral hogs are around domestic livestock, disease can be a problem. Disease and depredation, which are already problems in some areas, will only increase as hog populations increase.
Disease & Parasites

There has been little documentation of many of the diseases of feral hogs and their spread to livestock and humans. However, there are two diseases associated with feral hogs that are documented fairly well - pseudorabies and swine brucellosis. Other diseases hogs may carry are tuberculosis, anthrax and tularemia.
Pseudorabies is a viral disease of the central nervous system that can affect domestic and feral hogs and fatally affect cattle, horses, goats, sheep, dogs and cats. Wild animals such as raccoons, skunks, opossums and small rodents can also be fatally infected. Symptoms of the virus in these animals are anorexia, excessive salivation, spasms, convulsions and intense itching followed by paralysis and then death. Pseudorabies is not related to the rabies virus and does not infect people. This disease is of special concern to domestic hog owners because it can weaken pigs and cause abortions and stillbirths, thus decreasing production and profits. Once infected, the hog is a lifetime carrier and will periodically shed the virus through the mouth and nose. Transmission of the disease can be through direct contact, contaminated feed and water, ingestion of infected tissues, or contaminated trailers.
Swine brucellosis can cause infertility in boars and abortions in sows. This disease can also cause a loss of production and profit in domestic swine operations. Swine brucellosis is transmitted through reproductive discharges such as semen and afterbirth and once infected a hog is a carrier for life. The only effective way to control this disease is to test and remove infected individuals, a task impossible to do in a wild population. Swine brucellosis is contagious to humans and symptoms may range from severe flu-like symptoms to arthritis or meningitis. There is no cure for this disease in animals while humans can be treated with antibiotics in an attempt to clear the infection.
The main reservoirs of tuberculosis infection are in man and cattle, however feral hogs have been found infected with (Mycobacterium bovis) the same strain of tuberculosis found in man and cattle. Although the M. bovis strain has been detected in feral hogs, they are not very susceptible. The infection is most often contracted by ingestion of infected materials. Lesions on the lymph nodes are good indicators of an infected hog. Fortunately, due to extensive control measures, this disease is not common. Feral hogs may also carry another strain of tuberculosis, M. avis, contracted by eating dead birds. This strain is not contagious to humans.
Anthrax is a serious soil-borne disease that is most commonly associated with neutral or alkaline soils that serve as reservoirs for the organism's spores. Recognized endemic areas include portions of Texas, Louisiana, California, Arkansas, Mississippi, Nebraska, South Dakota and small areas in other states. Even within these areas, anthrax occurs irregularly and primarily when the minimal daily temperature is above 60 degrees. Although uncommon, the feral hog may become infected when feeding. Humans can contract this disease from contaminated animals or soil. The disease in humans is often fatal if not promptly treated with antibiotics.
Tularemia is not commonly found in feral hogs but they can contract it through direct contact or ingestion of contaminated animal carcasses. Ticks are a good vector as well as a reservoir and the most common source of infection for man. Persons who dress, prepare or eat improperly cooked feral hogs or other wild game are also at increased risk.
Feral hogs harbor several parasites some of which might pose problems for man or other animals. Fleas, hog lice and ticks are some common external parasites that a hog may acquire. It is thought that feral hogs do not occupy an area long enough or in sufficient numbers to get infected with large numbers of internal parasites or facilitate transmission to humans. However, internal parasites can occur in feral hogs and may include roundworms, kidneyworms, lungworms, stomachworms, whipworms, liver flukes and trichinosis. Trichinosis infections in humans are established by consumption of undercooked, infected pork.
Ranchers, farmers and hunters need to be aware of these potential diseases and take every precaution to avoid infection. Livestock owners should be sure all of their animals are vaccinated, especially when there is a chance they may have contact with feral hogs. There are state and federal laws governing the transport and relocation of feral hogs. Blood tests are required by law before feral hogs can be relocated. Hunters, trappers, butchers and wildlife managers should always wear rubber gloves when handling or dressing feral hogs. Try to avoid contact with reproductive organs and blood, and wash thoroughly after contact. Hunters and chefs cooking feral hog meat should make sure it is thoroughly cooked.
Summary
Feral hogs represent many unknowns to biologists, wildlife managers, landowners and hunters, and as one biologist so precisely put it, "feral hogs are an ecological black box." Feral hogs in some areas have been credited with the perceived decline of the quail population, yet there are other areas where quail numbers are high and feral hogs are everywhere. They also receive credit for having a significant impact on wild turkey nests, various plant species and entire ecological systems. However, the actual effect hogs have on our environment remains unknown. More research and practical knowledge are needed to give us a better understanding of the feral hog and its influence on game and non-game species as well as the environment and its ecosystems.
We do know feral hogs can harbor and transmit some diseases and parasites to livestock and humans. We know feral hogs can have a significant negative impact on some livestock operations through depredation and damage to facilities and fences. Farmers also share a significant portion of the damage caused by the rooting of fields and depredation of crops. Feral hogs provide excellent table fare, represent a challenging game species to pursue with weapon or dog, and compete with the white-tailed deer in some areas as the most popular animal to hunt. As mentioned, there are many pro's and con's regarding the status of feral hogs and there always will be as long as we have biologists, farmers, ranchers, hunters, and of course, the feral hog.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
only hybrids (crossbreed of Russian and feral hog)will have this tooth. I've killed two of these in duval county.

[Linked Image]

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's been a while, but from what I recall,...people used to free range their hogs in the southeastern mountains. Many of them were never harvested and went feral. That's where most of the wild hog population originated from.

Also, some fat cat back in the late 1800's imported some Russian Boar and put them in a fenced off reserve for him and his fat cat buddies to hunt,..I forget the loacation,...but it was in the southeastern U.S.

It was here, Hooper's Bald http://www.telliquah.com/hooper.htm

I've always had my doubts as to how much if any Russian boar genetics existed in the population in this area. I'd like to see some genetic testing.

Then TWRA for years sold permits for boar hunts in the Tellico Plains area but the hogs were few and far between. Good ol' boy poachers kept the population numbers down.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Can anyone think of a seriously endangered animal that's threatened to be wiped out by feral pigs? That might get the attention of the anti-hunters. The ESA would require that the government do something to reduce the pig numbers...

or so you would think. They did exactly the opposite with wolves. They introduced Gray wolves from Canada that promptly bred the native Idaho wolves out of existance.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Give all the sows Obama Morning After Pill.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
.17 Hummer vs hogs.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i would think the bobwhite quail is under pressure from numerous points and directions. hogs are probably a significant contributing factor, at least in some locales.

feral housecats, fur-bearers, etc. and habitat shifts also play a role. but hogs are not innocent in this regard.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I grew up in Newton County, Texas, in the late 1960's. That county was one of the last that didn't have a "stock law". Anyone who wanted to could register an ear mark at the county seat and run hogs on any open land - timber company or private. Hogs aren't contained by barbed-wire fences, ya see. Within a few generations, even "domestic" hogs start to resemble a true "wild boar". As to those hogs not being wild - I will beg to differ, having climbed a lot of trees ahead of them in my youth. They were never "herded" by dogs, just as "wild" range cattle aren't "herded". The dogs bay them up, and can work them into a pen if one is handy. Mostly dogs were used just to find and bay them - watch the movie "old Yeller" for a good example. Then the "owners" would catch the pigs, mark them, and castrate the boar pigs. The same dogs were used on hogs and cattle, mostly curs, like Catahoulas or Black-mouthed curs. Traps were also used to catch the animals to "work" them, or gather them to take to market. A fellow in our area who made his living with "woods hogs" had quite a few scars on his legs from being in a pen with them. When the market for meat from "Woods Hogs" declined to the point they weren't economically feasible to mess with, most were just left in the woods. They were indeed free roaming livestock, but TAME they were not! Now meat destined for consumer use must be inspected before and after slaughter, so there is virtually no market for feral hog meat, except in the export market.

I see a lot of hogs on my property in coastal Texas, all were born in the wild, and behave as any other wild animal. A breeder who raised pure European wild boar looked at pictures of some of the boars that crossed my property and told me they appeared to have a lot of "Euro" blood. He suspected some pure Euro hogs had escaped from a breeding operation somewhere in the area. Euro traits include longer hair, longer snouts, big shoulders and slimmer hips in boars - and the prominent tusks. They may also have a taller "ridge" of hair along the back forward of the shoulders, this on sows as well as boars. A feral from domestic stock gone wild gets close, but not as "wild" looking as one with Euro blood. The pigs of Euro or true ferals will normally be a light brown color, with black stripes and spots that fade with age - no matter whether the hogs as an adult will be black or brown. I see usually one white and black spotted pig every year on my place, and some of those grow into large boars with slim hips, big shoulders, a ridge of hair on the back - and large tusks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
this one is a hybrid, it had the extra tooth that only hybrids have.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My own modest contribution; a local feral boar hog. A big [bleep] that pondered things for awhile before deciding to yield the right of way despite my shouting and waving. I went out and upgraded to a 10mm carry gun the very next day grin

Interesting mix of features, note the apparent lop ears....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have noticed since the hogs have moved into my area that they coyote populations have shrunk. Any correlation or just happenstance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know. But I have noticed something strange re coyotes and hogs:

When hogs first appeared North of Paducah on my FIL's places and we shot them at night in cut hayfields like we had done South of town for years, we had to start dragging the dead ones to the turnrow. The coyotes wouldn't touch 'em.

After a few months, we could leave 'em lay where they died and the coyotes would have 'em gone by noon the next day.

Here in Young and Jack Counties, one hog may lay in place 'til he rots if he's in a place where the buzzards can't find him. The next hog may be gone in 24 hours.

I have no idea why that is.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (240NMC, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,281
Posts18,486,813
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.