Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#78258 07/28/02
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If someone didn't know anything about guns and wanted to buy a one and only...to carry in the car and if need be on their person...or if a woman asks...What would you advise them to get ? If you have more than one sidearm in mind feel free to make a list and if you really want to spend some time on this topic...a list of the pros and cons

"No honest man needs more than ten rounds in any gun." William Batterman Ruger
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A Ruger GP100 357Mag, 3 or 4" barrel, fixed sights.
<br>
<br>It is a simple, sturdy, low maintenance, easy to learn weapon. Best stoppnig record on the street. Ammo readily available for all purposes, target, defense, hunting.
<br>
<br>If personal defense for a woman (or man) is the only role, a Kahr 9mm is a real nice smallish autopistol with a simple manual of arms.
<br>
<br>MM

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You said they didn't know anything about guns, right ?
<br> I send, or meet, them at a well stocked gun store and have them try out a selection.
<br> The one that fits, and feels best, is the one for them. Then take, or have them, go shooting. Nothing heavier than a mild .38. Start with a .22. If they handle the .38, fine. If they can understand an auto pistol, and shoot one, fine.
<br> People vary alot. That includes women. My first wife could only handle a .22. I bought her a Kit Gun.
<br> One of my old girl friends put her second srtring of five - and her very first hardball ammo - into the black at 25 yds. with my old Colt Gold Cup .45. Very first time shooting any handgun.
<br> I have to laugh at people who argue about this vs. that as a street gun and load. You have to hit them. And the handgun is - far and away - the toughest gun to shoot. Using one effectively in a street confrontation is a lot harder than most realize.
<br> The cardinal rule is to have what you can handle well, and shoot effectively. I've seen lots of folks shot dead with .22's. The .22 Magnum, BTW, is far more deadly than you would think. E

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Logansdad,
<br>
<br>The choice I'd recommend is a S&W Centennial .38 Special Airweight - preferrably a model 642.
<br>
<br>The Ruger is a fine gun but is too bulky.
<br>
<br>Semiautomatics require a certain affinity for firearms. A non-gunner is always better with a DAO revolver.
<br>
<br>IMHO of course.
<br>
<br>Norm

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If they have zero knowkedge of firearms or have shot long arms but never handguns, Eremicus has it right. There is no "just right" hand gun for anyone, we are all different with different abilities and capabilities. Training, safety, manual of arms and level of awareness is far more important than the make and model of the firearm.
<br>
<br>That said, "I" would choose a used S & W model 10 4" for a starter after a little familiarization and shooting with a .22 revolver. There are lot's of good used ones out there for very reasonable prices or for a little more money a Colt "D" frame Police Positive Special .38spl. If concealment will be needed the 2" versions are a good choice. Both are not unpleasant for most folk's to shoot with midrange target ammo to start out with and you can move up to more powerfull defense type ammo as comfort levels increase with practice. With the plus they will fit a wide varity of peopls hands comfortably and grip options are wide and varied to "custom fit" the gun to the person.
<br>
<br>I would go this route simply because these are proven performers in police and civilian hands for many years. There is a wide choice of differing types of ammo available that can be shot in them, are inherently safe, uncomplicated to use, easy to learn to use competently and simple and sturdy revolvers that will hold up with a modicom of maintainence for a lifetime.
<br>
<br>Just my .02
<br>

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S&W Airweight .22, then a S&W model 10 3".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.