-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As a kid I remember the "Jonico and the Kushtekaa" film being played at every opportunity. That would have been '64-8 or so... Good times in many ways...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kushtekaa
Also try to be there during the livlier months of October thru April to get a better sense of the place.

Sept and Oct are the toughest months. Miserable weather is the norm.

Dec thru March can suck if you don't like snow sports (which includes shoveling snow!)

April thru August is golden. The wife and I are thinking about retiring elsewhere after 40+ years here.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by Kushtekaa
Also try to be there during the livlier months of October thru April to get a better sense of the place.

Dec thru March can suck if you don't like snow sports (which includes shoveling snow!)

April thru August is golden. The wife and I are thinking about retiring elsewhere after 40+ years here.

What about doing the "Snowbird" thing during bad weather and enjoying what you have during the "golden" season?

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Why are Sept/Oct rough?

Been in AK/ND/SD so cold, snowy, wet, and windy do not phase me.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ALLongshot
I have a few other questions Id also like to ask some folks in that area. If anyone can help Id appreciate it.

Ask away. Lived here going on 20-years almost. And love it! Yea, housing prices can be tough, but you can still find a good place. The weather is just something you learn to ignore -- if you want to go have fun, do it regardless of the rain.

Last edited by Scorpion8; 07/07/13.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

NEGATIVES
1. If you enjoy sunshine there isnt much of it. We have both kinds of weather , rain and snow smile
2. It is super spendy (everything)
3. finding a place to live can be a problem. not just somewhere you like , somewhere period, and it will cost you 1k plus per month , and in all likely hood it will be a dump.
4. Hippies , there are a lot of them
5. Accessibility to good hunting a fishing without a boat is extremely limited.
6. In the summer (both months of it) up to 5 cruise ships a day dock here and thousands of tourists invade the place.
7. in the winter the politicians come and invade the place.
8. there is one gun shop , right now there are no primers and 3 powders to choose from , midway and the like cannot ship here.
9. you cant drive out of Juneau the highway is about 28 miles and it ends , literally.
10. Flying out of Juneau is also super expensive about $700 to Spokane , Alaska airlines is your only choice, we call it the Juneau exit fee.
11. dont get sick here , anything major will require you to go to Seattle or Anchorage(refer to #10)
POSITIVES
1. When and if the sunshine's it is one of the most beautiful places on earth.
2. The people are mostly friendly and you will meet them all , as there are like 30k in a 25 mile area.
3.If you have a boat big enough there is a lot to see and do
4.There is only a fredmeyer and a wall mart. she cannot drag you from place to place looking for a purse only to return to the first place to buy the first purse she saw smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BCJR

NEGATIVES
8. there is one gun shop , right now there are no primers and 3 powders to choose from , midway and the like cannot ship here.

Well they had RL-25 and Supreme 780 when I was last there. Scored a pound of '25 ($40 mad )to try in my 264 Winny. Going to the range today to get ready for the deer opener. No, I won't be taking the 264. Either the '06 for Admiralty, or the .30-30 for Douglas. I do consider Western Auto to be a gun shop. I'm waiting for them to get powder. Ray is a royal ripoff artist.

Another bummer - quality produce is a bitch to come by.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Western, Fred Meyers, and Walmart plus there are a couple people that have a FFL. Ray is Ray, cheap and tight don't even come close. He is the only person I have even seen buy used ammo to resell.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ray is a piece of work for sure..if he would deal with more than just one whole seller he could stock more......the guy in the moose club parking lot has decent produce...at a price smile

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ray will sell you the whole shop and mess! But it will cost you.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,409
Posts18,528,121
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.