-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Things have improved slightly, but many people of both religions want to hang on to the old divides as it means retaining personal power and influence.

The only real old divide is the continued English stranglehold on Irish territory that should have been sceded back to Ireland.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
GB4

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Things have improved slightly, but many people of both religions want to hang on to the old divides as it means retaining personal power and influence.

The only real old divide is the continued English stranglehold on Irish territory that should have been sceded back to Ireland.

I am sure that Indians and Aboriginals would agree with you...see how this blame thing works.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stevelyn

History shows its not that simple. For a start, the English originally went over that at the invitation of one of the Irish kings to help him maintain power. Later, that presence was endorsed by the Pope of the time as the English crown at that stage was Catholic..

Come forward to today, and the Catholic and Potestant divide has little to do with the main land UK, except we step in from time to time to stop them slaughtering each other as happened in 1969..

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yeah, the English, certainly "stepped in" under Trevelyan during the "Celtic Holocaust", when shiploads of Irish foods went every day from Ireland to "Merrye Englande" while the Irish who produced this food starved.

Then, we have the "Easter Rising" in 1916 and the subsequent murder by English firing squads of many heroic Irish patriots ON IRISH SOIL. The most famous, now, was the talented, Roman Catholic poet, Joseph Mary Plunkett, a man whose murder by the Limeys inspired one of the most haunting ballads I know of, especially sung by Ireland's currently finest tenor, Anthony Kearns...."Grace".... listen to it on "Youtube".

Another of the Sassenach's little bag of helpful tricks was "Bloody Sunday" where the slaughter of unarmed Irish civilians by the British Army, was among the issues that finally made many of my family and friends and myself decide that the time to end the "Monarchy" here in Canada, had come and this was only one of scores of murders by these generous "peacemakers".

Funny, I was born, raised, educated a Roman Catholic and have always had friends that were of divers other religions and we have never had the problems here in Canada, that the Irish have suffered......the REAL issue is NOT Roman Catholic schools, usually the best of their kind in any jurisdiction, but, the presence in "The Emerald Isle" of the English business class and the brutal army that supports them.

That said, Obama, is a buffoon and he is the WORST president in US history, even Nixon, was not quite as total an azzhole and boob.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I guess the halfrican is not content to [bleep] up just America, but feels driven to [bleep] up Ireland as well.

Sam......

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Kute, that man can really sing...but Gaelic sung by women is what moves my soul. Not sure why, unless we have a connection to our predecessors that lingers.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kutenay
Yeah, the English, certainly "stepped in" under Trevelyan during the "Celtic Holocaust", when shiploads of Irish foods went every day from Ireland to "Merrye Englande" while the Irish who produced this food starved.

Then, we have the "Easter Rising" in 1916 and the subsequent murder by English firing squads of many heroic Irish patriots ON IRISH SOIL. The most famous, now, was the talented, Roman Catholic poet, Joseph Mary Plunkett, a man whose murder by the Limeys inspired one of the most haunting ballads I know of, especially sung by Ireland's currently finest tenor, Anthony Kearns...."Grace".... listen to it on "Youtube".

Another of the Sassenach's little bag of helpful tricks was "Bloody Sunday" where the slaughter of unarmed Irish civilians by the British Army, was among the issues that finally made many of my family and friends and myself decide that the time to end the "Monarchy" here in Canada, had come and this was only one of scores of murders by these generous "peacemakers".

Funny, I was born, raised, educated a Roman Catholic and have always had friends that were of divers other religions and we have never had the problems here in Canada, that the Irish have suffered......the REAL issue is NOT Roman Catholic schools, usually the best of their kind in any jurisdiction, but, the presence in "The Emerald Isle" of the English business class and the brutal army that supports them.

That said, Obama, is a buffoon and he is the WORST president in US history, even Nixon, was not quite as total an azzhole and boob.

And of course your forefathers never fought/oppressed the native Canadian Indians when they took their land?

Anyway, back to NI, what about the other 1000 or so years of English/ Irish history?

I ask because the fanatics on both sides hold grudges that go back far longer than 1800's, and that is part of the problem..

Peronally, I would be happy to see a referendum and let the people of NI decide their own fate, but what ever the outcome
I doubt "the other side" would accept it peacefully and their in lies the problem *today*...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I guess the halfrican is not content to [bleep] up just America, but feels driven to [bleep] up Ireland as well.

Speaking to a work associate over there yesterday, their biggest compaint was that two of the major motorways in the Province were shut down for the day to allow Obama's security detail/motorcade to travel between various points..Needless to say the locals were not happy about the disruption at all...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tiocfaidh �r l�

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
same thing happened here in Miami a few weeks ago. King hussein did a fund raiser over on Miami Beach. His entourage shut down the I-295 causeway for an hour, coming and going.

Oh,and Pete, my forefathers, or at least a few of them, came over in 1850 from Cork County. The English had taken their land, starved them near to death, and then welcomed them to leave.
That side of the family still has no love for the English.

Sam......

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Pete E
[quote=kutenay]

And of course your forefathers never fought/oppressed the native Canadian Indians when they took their land?

No, actually, MY forefathers here in Canada, DID NOT ...oppress... ANYONE and half of them WERE British, but, Scots, not English.

The situation here from when my Norse ethnic forbearers first came to "Vinland" circa AD 885 and then my actual family arrived with Sir William Alexander, in the 17thC. and the horrific behaviour of the English, specifically in the late 18th, the 19th and the 20thC.s IN IRELAND to the indigenous Irish people is much different.

Perhaps, the best comment on this affair, the responsibility of the English, is found in the 19thC. Irish saying, among the survivors of "The Famine" and it is, "God sent the potato blight, but, the English sent the Famine".

The FACT is that continual shiploads of foods produced in Ireland were taken by the rapacious English to their island while the Irish starved and some 1-2 million people are said to have perished in that genocidal tragedy largely as a result of English perfidy and brutal suppression of Irish people.

The best thing that could happen to Ireland is reunification under the republic and to get the English out of their country.

Erin Go Bragh!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Oh,and Pete, my forefathers, or at least a few of them, came over in 1850 from Cork County. The English had taken their land, starved them near to death, and then welcomed them to leave.
That side of the family still has no love for the English.

I wish I knew the answer which would give a peaceful solution that was acceptable to the great majority, but I don't.

Things have improved since the 1970's, but any sense of First World "normality" is still only a veneer..

Certainly changes to increase equality and stop discrimination on the basis of the religon have helped and so has the increased economic prosperity that came with the so called Peace Dividend.

The ironic thing is that Ireland as a whole is a beautiful country and if you avoid politics and religon, the majority of its people are warm and friendly to visitor.

If you ever decide to visit Eire and let it be known you have Irish ancestry, you will be treated like royality...

Last edited by Pete E; 06/19/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka
my dumass twin brother works in London and thinks Obama is the bees knees and so does 90% of Eurotrashtards

TRUST me!!!!!!!!!!!! There are "those" that think exactly the same. When will we EVER learn. Carter, Clibton, and now THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad mad

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kutenay

The best thing that could happen to Ireland is reunification under the republic and to get the English out of their country.

Erin Go Bragh!

Given that the proportion of Catholics in Northern Ireland is increasing, that might be a feasible solution one day..

Personally, I think an independent Northern Ireland is a more likely scenario first, perhaps with unification happening sometime later when the British were out of the picture..

Last edited by Pete E; 06/19/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh please spare me the anti-British rant. There's plenty of hatred to go around.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Oh please spare me the anti-British rant. There's plenty of hatred to go around.

There's plenty of hatred for the brits because they have it coming.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Jorge, don't be utterly ridiculous, I did NOT refer to the "British", but, to certain ENGLISH actions and I AM half-British by birth.

There is NO poster on this site that has consistently been more "pro"British than I and I still am and always will be. However, I do not ignore certain aspects of historical reality and to do so would be to encourage such behaviour in the future.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
he is an a44hole, what else is new?

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is it true that he's been spelling his name "O'Bama" while on the Emerald Isle?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by pira114
Originally Posted by jorgeI

There's plenty of hatred for the brits because they have it coming.

Yeah, the hateful baztards stood alone against Hitler and Stalin just to honour a century old treaty with Poland........

MANY ACTIONS by MANY different peoples, deserve to be hated...and, that is the important point, IMO.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,955
Posts18,480,430
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.