Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
After reading through some history, I had to laugh, and admit you guys were right! I've contracted a feevuh.........

Originally Posted by ingwe
If you think you're a basket case now...wait till you get back...

( notice the lack of smiley face....you'll see why...)

Yep. Thats why everyone says " take half the clothes and twice the money"...you'll need it for a deposit on your next hunt.... grin

You poor, poor bastid....

laugh

Originally Posted by hatari
Fellas,

I spoke on the phone tonight with our own JGRaider who is seriously fired up for his first safari. The first one is like your first date - in which you get some- you'll never forget it and always smile when you reminisce.

I envy him and wish I could witness the whole thing. Here's a good dude that is about to be ruined for life. After this trip he will

- think fondly of Africa every day for the ret of his life

- spend 2-20 hours a week planning his next trip

- call his banker to talk about expanding the house to add on a trophy room

- start buying rifles in 9.3, .375, .416, .458 and he'll start considering doubles

- He'll tell everybody in Midland TX how good Castle beer is and how biltong beats the hell out of deer jerky

- he'll be an insufferable know-it-all on everything African

- He'll be able to track a squirrel across an asphalt parking lot in the dark

- He'll think his is fluent in 12 African dialects

- He will be sure that the .270 sucks and that Ingwe was right all along

- His house will start to take an African theme

_ He'll order leopard print thongs form Ingwe.com (XL)

- Deer hunting will never be the same.

Lucky guy, I wish him well!

Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Just wait till he gets back and he comes down with a severe case of P.S.D. (Post Safari Depression). Here are some of the symptoms. It will cause every conversation to end with an African hunting story and his friends will no longer call him since they have already heard his stories five times or more.

His pictures will be curled at the edges from constant viewing. He will only be able to walk comfortably if someone is directly in front of him, and he will have trouble walking entirely upright. His wife will not understand why he is so angry when dinner is not ready fifteen minutes after he requests it. Also, she will not understand why he insists that the laundry and ironing be done daily.

He will find it much more comfortable to drive with the seat cushions and shocks removed from his truck. And finally, the afternoon naps will destroy his job performance.

Mike

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I agree JG! I've been back about as long as you and am driving my wife crazy...she keeps telling me if I miss it that bad to go back...should I listen to her?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
JG,

I've only known ONE person who hunted in Africa and never wanted to go back. But he's not really much of a hunter, and booked in the off season to save money, when it was hot and rainy and hard to find scattered game in tall cover.

I've spent as long as a month over there, and three years ago felt as if I might be satisfied, having seen a lot of different places and killed all the animals I'd dreamed about, and some I hadn't. Have been twice since then....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by fgold767
I agree JG! I've been back about as long as you and am driving my wife crazy...she keeps telling me if I miss it that bad to go back...should I listen to her?

Me too fgold. I'll see how much of a PITA I can be around the house, then we'll go together.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
MD, as many places as you get to see and hunt, that's quite a statement. I can't remember who, maybe you or maybe someone else around here, told me.... "If you're a hunter and love to hunt, and can swing it, you owe it to yourself to experience Africa". Boy did that nail it.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I can't believe you ever doubted me....

How about Namibia nexttime??? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
You read my mind Poobah. I'm such a pushover I've already contacted the Namibian outift I was considering this year, for next year. I'm JGRaider, and I have a problem.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm JGRaider, and I have a problem.....

You came to the wrong place for support for your new addiction. Not only are we hopeless addicts ourselves, but also enablers! lol

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
LMAO Fost. grin See you at DSC again I'm sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just because everyone was right doesn't mean that we're not also full of crap.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

- Deer hunting will never be the same.

Deer and boar hunting will never be the same. Ever since my first trip I have talked about giving up the deer lease to save for my next trip. Fortunately my wife keeps talking me out of it because I would probably go nuts in the interim years.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Sounds good to me...got lonely...I need someone to go with me
next time...best friend can't go: health and $$...oh well.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
JG,

Eventually you'll want to experience "wild" Africa, where lions and Cape buffalo and elephants roam freely, which is yet another step.

That said, I still love going after deer more than any other kind of big game hunting. But the neat thing about your first trips to Africa is they feel like your first deer seasons.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
JG,

Eventually you'll want to experience "wild" Africa, where lions and Cape buffalo and elephants roam freely, which is yet another step.

Amen....and the Zambezi valley and Lake Kariba come to mind....

maddog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm JGRaider, and I have a problem.....

We new that before you went!
grin

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JG,

That said, I still love going after deer more than any other kind of big game hunting. But the neat thing about your first trips to Africa is they feel like your first deer seasons.

Ain't that the truth? There is something that strikes a primal emotion when you camp somewhere where the lions roar to beat the band 300 yards from camp at night over a kill, or there is a hyena in the mess kitchen chattering the pots and pans or the elephants choose your camp spot on the river to water all night.

Truely magic that money can still buy, but not for much longer.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep. I was heart-broken to hear that hunting is being shut down on public land in Botswana. The Okavango was one of the best places to experience wild Africa. I feel lucky that I got to do exactly that a decade ago.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hunting is rapidly becoming a "farm" hunt only deal but I am posting a hunt that my life long PH, ex-SAS member,and friend, Terry Roach is trying to fill out with good hunters. That's why I told him I would post it here. It is a no fence hunt and I can personally guarantee that if Terry is your PH you will have a great hunt. I have NO business interest and don't get a free hunt, I just want to introduce some of the members to one great PH.

Terry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JG,

I've only known ONE person who hunted in Africa and never wanted to go back. But he's not really much of a hunter, and booked in the off season to save money, when it was hot and rainy and hard to find scattered game in tall cover.

Mike Venturino, right?

His writing about BPCR's and old leverguns is good stuff. Same with WWll firearms. Whenever he is asked to opine about a newer hunting rifle or hunting he is really out of his element and it shows up early and often in whatever article he has penned.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Huh. Finally we've found someone who's cheaper than a cop!

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,498 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.