Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
If you have a garden hose handy with one of those high pressure handgun looking nozzles then every time you see it just give it a solid squirt of water and keep the hose on it until it skeedaddles out of the yard. The remedy may have to be applied a few times but hopefully the cat will associate your yard with an unpleasant experience and find a friendlier place to hang around.

This video takes your concept a bit further. It's all theory until about 4:55.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Take .45 Colt or .44 Mag cases and drill out the flashholes a bit then prime them with large rifle or magnum rifle primers. Take a block of that paraffin wax used for canning and soften it by running it under hot water or putting it in the oven for a few minutes then push the cases down through to make a wax plug in the cases. You have to drill out the flash holes a little or else the primers will back out and make the cylinder hard to open.

It's quiet and if you hit them from 15 or 20 yards it will roll them but won't hurt them permanently and they won't come back, at least not for a while. I have recovered my wax "slugs" and they are mushroomed a bit with cat hair stuck on them. I keep a box in the garage for the strays that occasionally show up and bother our cats. .38 Spl and .357 cases work too but I find the bigger bores primed with rifle primers hit a whole lot harder.

Last edited by ColKlink; 06/24/13.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A paintball gun, with a camera, take pictures of the paint on the cat, and post signs saying to come get your cat....you may not get a picture but it would be fun to whack one with a frozen paint ball...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gamo. Solid pellets. Done. Many a dog food stealing squirrels have met their demise this way. Cats meet their demise via 2 jack Russells and one blue heeler.

IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Bristoe,
I think I'm the only one in my neighborhood that doesn't have a pet cat plus there are a lot of feral cats around here. I hate cats (plus I'm allergic to them) but I would never harm my neighbor's cats. What works good so far on my neighbors cats is catching them in a live trap and then either hosing them down good with a water hose or pouring a bucket of cold water on them before I release them. I hardly ever see them again in my yard and they run off when they see me. For the feral cats I put a couple of 2X4's parallel on the ground about 4" apart and parallel to my patio door exactly 30 feet from my dining room table where my pellet gun (sighted in at 30 ft.) is waiting in a rest. I put a can of sardines between the 2X4's and check every once in a while for feral cats. The feral cats are at least twice as big as the domestic cats and all my neighbor's cats wear collars. The feral cats always stand between the 2X4's offering a perfect head shot from the side. My next door neighbor is a cat (and dog) lover. I asked him one day if he was seeing any feral cats and he told me that they have been coming in their house through their cat's doggy door and eating all their cats food. He said he had been shooting at them with a pellet pistol. I told him I wasn't just shooting "at" them with my pellet rifle. He was glad to hear that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Diverting a bit but as long as we're sharing cat stories (this is a true one, btw)...

Friend of mine in jr. high had two guinea pigs in a big chicken wire cage out in his back yard, Porgy and Bess were their names. One night he heard a commotion and went out to find the cage ripped into and his guineas dead.

He just knew it was a big ol' tom cat that roamed the neighborhood so he borrowed a Benjamin pump to get even. Next day he saw the cat on the front sidewalk, pumped up the Benjamin to max and let fly. It disabled the cat but didn't kill it, so he ran up, grabbed it by the tail, swung it around and smashed its brains out on the sidewalk with extreme prejudice.

Deed done and vengeance satisfied.

A couple of days after that a neighbor lady came over and said, "I'm so sorry about your guinea pigs, our German Shepard got out of our yard and killed them."

Oops!

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Catch it again and then go at it with the garden hose while it is in the box trap. Repeatedly every few hours for a day or so. I bet it doesn't come back.

That may work but probably not as effective as the pool treatment...

DF

Pool treatment works, after you dump it out of the trap, you'll never see it again, if your worried about getting caught, dump it out he road and run over it with your truck, looks like it got hit by a car, works every time

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Yeah,..I hate to take it that far.

Mainly I'm just miffed.

I'm out $40 for a box trap,..a damn good can of sardines that served as bait, and a trip to the humane society,..only to find the sumbitch back in my yard,..just sleeping out there like it's lived here all his life.

I wouldn't mind if it was civil,....but it's pretty onery.

Why are you even talking about this...just kill it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cisco Houston sung it best! grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRA9k55dNg

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Put your cats up. Locked up.

Put out anti-freeze.

Mean cat dies a slow death. Nasty, too.

Problem solved, but I'd rather it was quick.

Got to be careful these days. You could get prosecuted for killing a pet cat.

Yeah, those dead cats can get pretty expensive... blush

Lawyer's dream, home owner insurance nightmare. And, your homeowner insurance carrier's nightmare can quickly become your nightmare.

Just be careful...!

Or better yet, don't get caught... cool

DF
Sometimes anti-freeze leaks out when your car over heats or it can get spilled when carrying it to your care.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Next time you take him to the cat pound use this and be sure to snug him up real good.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
,..a few weeks ago,...took over the back yard.

It kept attacking my cats,..had to take one of them to the vet.

Anyway,..I caught it in a box trap and hauled it to the "cat" pound. (humane society)

It's about 4 miles from here.

That was about 10 days ago.

That cat is out in my back yard right now.

I can't figure it out.

A fellow student who lived in married-student housing solved his nagging problem with an invader cat � without harming the cat. It had clawed his baby daughter in his fenced back yard. Couldn't have that again!

Just convinced the critter to not come around any more.

He ran two parallel bus wires along the top of his fence and (at night) ran juice to 'em from a receptacle in the house.

His wife unplugged the fence wire early one morning, then spotted the invader cat crossing the next-door neighbors' yard. She plugged it back in just before the cat leapt up onto the top of the fence.

The cat didn't stay there long.

It went high in the air, came down running, and never came back.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it is an ornery feral shoot it and plant it in the garden. Not all cats are worth keeping around.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's exactly what kindly old Dr Ames (who "wouldn't hurt a fly") used to do, for years.

Lotta cats after "his" birds.

Rich garden.

Vegetables generously shared with neighbors.

Neighbors never suspected that kindly old man. Wondered where their cats went.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gemby58
Had that same problems a few years back, was pissing all over the place, got the box trap out and a can of tuna, within a hour had the damn thing, was carry it to the house in the dark. and the trap slipped out of my hands and fell into the pool, didnt have a swim suit on to go retrieve it so it had to wait till morning. End of cat problem

laugh

I've heard that cat's don't like to swim.

Guess that cage didn't help much, either... cool

DF

It was safe from shark attack though.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
bottle rockets

1. it gives you an excuse to buy and shoot fireworks, and if anyone gives you any [bleep] about it should you get caught, you can use the "I'm being humane excuse"

2. Its fun to watch the cat jump 7 feet in the air. You'll get at least 3 chances to see it before he never comes back

3. its close to 4th of July. nobody will think you're f'ing with a feral cat.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Grandfather was big on box traps. Every time he caught an animal that didn't have $$$ value, he'd tie a rope about the cage and toss it into the creek.

The man never got scratch or bit once

Last edited by KFWA; 06/25/13.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Catch it again and then go at it with the garden hose while it is in the box trap. Repeatedly every few hours for a day or so. I bet it doesn't come back.

That may work but probably not as effective as the pool treatment...

DF

Pool treatment works, after you dump it out of the trap, you'll never see it again, if your worried about getting caught, dump it out he road and run over it with your truck, looks like it got hit by a car, works every time

Good thinking.

After drying out and after the "tire treatment", only the hairdresser will know, as they say on the TV ads... laugh

Gemby, looks like you've put some thought into this. Won't ask about your actual experiences, the NSA may be monitoring this site... shocked

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hoyt
Next time you take him to the cat pound use this and be sure to snug him up real good.

[Linked Image]

Too cool...

LMAO

DF

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,336
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.