Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TravisG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hi guys. I'm fairly new to looking at Africa hunts. I'm sure there will be a lot of opinions. Anyway, it has always been my dream to experience an African safari. I cannot go this year or probably the next due to school and what not. I would like to start planning however. What can I expect cost wise for just the safari. I really don't know what a typical range would be. I know there are a lot of variables but what would be the cheapest I could expect and still get four or five species on maybe a 7 day hunt. To sum up, minus air fair and trophy expenses what does the typical plains game safari cost? Any other need to know info greatly appreciated.

Last edited by TravisG; 06/19/13.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can do a 5 typical animal 10 day trip for under 7k

This is no airfare, no trophy shipping, no taxidermy. Everything else is included from the moment you arrive until I put you back on the plane.

This is today, three years from now when you are ready, all bets are off. Kudu Trophy fees alone have nearly doubled in 10 years, now good natural wild bulls are in the 2600 plus range. In 2000 we had a bulls at 1600.00

Impala were 250, now pushing 400 in most places. Daily fees were 185-200, now 250-400 bucks

Fuel, food, restrictions, and political impact in Southern Africa have driven prices up in a big way.

ten years ago Zimbabwe was a brilliant hunting location, today the infrastructure and the safety in some places with the amount of business issues has handcuffed much of that old glory.

Botswana was the apex of safari hunting with the best trophies on earth and the most spectacular hunting anyplace. Thats gone now. No more hunting. Who would have thought that would ever have been possible?

Namibia and South Africa are very strong and secure for the most part in the hunting areas. There are many years of great hunting going forward. Mozambique will also improve over time and become better. Unless the government issues come up again and it all goes to heck. That's a coin toss! The same can be said for Zimbabwe. New leaders can mean great hunting and back to the old days. The same leaders make this more difficult and risky as far as the future.

Part of the huge increase to the price has come from the reduction of hunting in other places. There are many reasons for the prices going up at an exceptional rate of increase. Airfare alone is just crazy as well. However with that increase it's much easier to get a seat now.

In the late 90' early 2000's if you did not have a seat booked by January of the year you were going you were out of luck. Those seats were booked solid 6 months in advance. Now if you want a seat you can find one a month in advance. The travel to Africa has dropped off a lot in the last 4 years. My guess would be 25% less or maybe more.

I sell hunts now, with a couple months notice, 5 years ago if you did not have a hunt booked by November of the previous year you could not get a good set of dates and might struggle with the flights to match those dates.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mine probably aren't typical but for mine that went from 2 to 3 weeks, I paid less than or about equal to $7,000 to $8,000 including air fare but not including taxidermy or shipping the mounts home. The fewest animals I took on a safari were 8 and have included at least 2 that were in the SCI top 10 in the handgun category.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It's a buyers market the way I see it. The euro economies stink, most of the US economy stinks, and the outfitters are competing for hunter's dollars. There are some very good deals out there.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I told you so.......

One trip and are and expert!!! grin grin

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TravisG
Hi guys. I'm fairly new to looking at Africa hunts. I'm sure there will be a lot of opinions. Anyway, it has always been my dream to experience an African safari.

JJHACK will be a great source for you. Many around here have hunted with him and he can steer you right.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hatari
I told you so.......

LMAO! There is a smartazzz in Atlanta to blame for my recent troubles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The cost can and does indeed vary.

My two cents, instead of making the expense your primary concern for your initial search, first decide what sort of hunting experience you desire/seek, and species of prime interest.

Once you have those two variables sorted out, everything else will fall into place much easier.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I told you so.......

Johnnie,

When are you going to start booking African Safaris?? grin laugh

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Cost? Whatever a nice car would be to you...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Travis, Costs will vary greatly, depending on what you want/expect. Put and take operations around Capetown can offer you a good selection of animals at very low prices but in a more "canned" type hunt. (MY opinion based on what I have seen and heard from folks who have hunted there) Operations in the Limpopo and other Northern regions of South Africa cost more. But IMHO they are worth a lot more. On average, they hunt much larger areas. (on my just completed safari we were hunting tracks that averaged around 35000 acres) Also, the game is a little wilder (again in my opinion) as it normally does not get hunted quite as hard and in many cases was born on the property or has been there several years. On some of the put and take operations the game may have only been placed there a few weeks before and comes from a ranch devoted to raising them. Trucks to that type animal mean food, so they are not quite as wary as those that have lived in a much larger area for a while.

NOTE: I am not aware of any totally unfenced operations in South Africa, although I am sure a few exist. The question is how big a fenced area is big enough for the animals behave as close as possible to truly wild animals. ? Only you can answer what is big enough for your tastes.

These factors greatly affect the cost of your hunt. To me, larger areas and wilder game are worth the extra couple of thousand it costs. If getting the heads on the wall is your biggest/only concern, the smaller put and take type organizations would seem to be the way to go.

Just my humble opinion, based on 4 hunts. Your milage may vary. TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Travis,

I would encourage you to consider a ten-day hunt instead of seven. It won't cost a whole lot more and you get a lot more flexibility. You've already got the "sunk cost" of the expense and hassle of the long trip.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
T
TravisG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Lots of great information. Unfortunately it will probably be a couple years from now, but I like to get ahead with planning and funding. I would like to have at least one animal mounted but I'm pretty knowledgable about trophy cost in the us. I'm sure they vary in Africa. That's a whole nother issue. I'm mostly just looking for the experience so hopefully those expenses will not be to high. My hope is that my dad and/ or brother can go as well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The basic trip I went on was a 6 day 7 night hunt. I added several things that I mentioned in the story of my hunt.

This basic hunt was for 5 plains game animals from a selected list. The trophy hunt cost $3900, and the cull hunt was $2900. The Kudu was not on the list, but Gemsbok, both types of Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Impala, Blesbuck, Springbuck and Warhog were.

Last edited by Rick Teal; 06/19/13.

Hunting is Exciting! Bolt actions are BORING!!!

Don't mix the two!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 2014 trip is for 9 days of hunting, kudu, gemsbok, blue wildebeest, impala, springbok, mountain reedbuck, blesbuk and zebra. Tax everything, $8000.

Airfare from Calgary to Johannesburg is $1700 return.

Last edited by AB2506; 06/19/13.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I told you so.......

Johnnie,

When are you going to start booking African Safaris?? grin laugh

Another comedian here......Yeah, you were one of the enablers too you piece of trash! smile

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Be sure to ask if you will be hunting one property or if you will stay in one place and be driven to other farms. If you are to be driven to various farms it means that your hosts really don't have much on their own property. This generally means the place where you are living is more of a guest house. Folks are always looking for a way to increase income.

I would only go to places where the hunting is done on the outfitter's property with no travel other close locations. Of course travel to a far destination is different.

Recently I read here of someone who went to different places each day. Sounds terrible to me. But the guy was pleased it being his first trip.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I asked C. Bodington that exact question several years ago at a SCI show in Green Bay. My son and I were interested. He suggested we look for an outfitter offering Management hunts. We did, found several...went with an 9 animal hunt, we shared the shooting. This was a great way for us to do Africa. The hunt was 3k.
I`m going again, my 3rd trip, next year with my BIL. We will share 10. Cost for the hunt is also 3k. 5 day hunt.
Good luck!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
with the management hunts i know some are old animals, some have broken horns ect....

can you ask for ones that are just old/small to hang on the wall at home?

i don't need a "trophy" oryx, but don't want to go to africa for one missing a horn either. or can you do a mix n' match cull & trophy quality animal hunt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A broken horn Kudu or Gemsbok with the good horn making RW level scores is not going to be one penny cheaper. Europeans want those in a big way. Same with deformed horns. A bull Gemsbok with thick matched horns that are 25" long is a cull for us, a Bull with a single 38" plus horn is not.

Small animals and females are commonly shot to balance populations. Mix and match hunts are quite common. We often do five female impala or Cow Kudu for specials after the trophy hunting is complete.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 22250rem, 1234, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,367
Posts18,506,485
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.