Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Keith's tube used in the frontal ignition system was not perforated, nor was it filled with black powder. He wrote a pretty good description of it, with some commentary, about 40 years later in his Gun Notes column in Guns & Ammo:

Link: Keith - Guns & Ammo October 1982

The system in fact worked as Keith and co-workers described it, producing lower pressures, higher velocities, and lower barrel temperatures. However, it was impractical, involving too much fiddle-dee-dee.

The linked article describes a shortcoming that is rarely discussed in connection with the system: The loading requires a case-filling load of slower powder, and the cartridge case must fit the rifle's chamber very closely, to allow minimum expansion when fired. If the case expands very much when fired, that would "let the flash of the primer come back around the charge and fire it much to fast, causing a dangerous overload". One of his experimental tube cartridges in 50BMG wrecked a Frankford Arsenal pressure gun when it was fired in a loose-fitting chamber.

Hatcher at some point wrote that the flash tube concept had been used in artillery shells for some time before Keith et al. began their experiments.

--Bob

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I know a few guys that played with frontal ignition in rifle cartridges a few years ago and yes it did lower barrel temps, but the chamber temp actually increased and the pain in the but of the threaded tube. It worked as Keith described according to them

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bullshooter. The case usn't expanded yet when the primer "flashes."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
So if we adopted Keith's suggestion of running a tube up though the center of the cartridge to ignite the powder from the front and then use back pressure to hold all the powder in place until it was consumed, we could eliminate fouling and boost performance?

And shorten the war by a minimum of six months.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hawkins
Bullshooter. The case usn't expanded yet when the primer "flashes."
hawkins-
I was quoting Keith's narrative. However, I had a similar sort of reservation as yourself as I did so.

In mild support of Keith's idea about relatively loose fit of case and chamber being a problem was his apparent prediction of the over-pressure event before it happened. Of course it's possible, perhaps probable, that the event occurred for reasons other than Keith's prediction.

Related to this is a general question of the pressure developed in a case with primer ignition alone. It would be helpful to know how much pressure a primer produces in a rifle cartridge case before powder ignition. It may be enough to result in some case expansion. Are data available to answer this question?

--Bob

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by denton
Powder burns from the outside of the granule inward, and we know the size of the granules and the rate of burn at pressure. So we have a really good idea of how soon all the powder is burned. The NABM software is free, and models this effect.

One can estimate the progress of the burn using a plot from Pressure Trace along with a table of the burning rate of nitrocellulose at pressure. I went through this exercise with a 7 Rem and found only about half the charge is burned at peak pressure with the rest several more inches down the bore. QuickLoad--which uses a different math model of the burn--agrees.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How does it develop peak pressure with only half of the charge burned? confused

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At peak pressure, the volume behind the moving bullet is such that half the charge is enough to reach the pressure limit.

At this same point, the bullet is moving fast enough that the ever increasing volume behind the bullet more than accommodates the gases being created by the rest of the charge. Another way of looking at this: the second half of the charge is striving to keep the pressure near the peak level.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by denton

The oxygen/fuel ratio in smokeless powder is deliberately set just a little "rich". That's because if it were "lean" it would be a lot harder on the interior of your firearm because you'd have hot, unused oxygen available (burned valve).

Denton -

I've been at the reloading, powder stuff since 1975. Read a LOT of info pertaining to ALL SORTS of related components.

I've never SEEN nor HEARD that explanation. THANKS!

I know/understand the principle from Hi performance, 2 stroke engines and race cars. You CAN get the fuel mixture TOO LEAN for reasonable length of service.

I've never heard that THEY could 'injun eer' gun powder that way.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My daughter's husband is a chemist, the son of a chemist. We got to fiddling with a black powder substitute (which showed a lot of promise). In the course of that, I mentioned that the substitute was still leaving a little carbon residue. The senior chemist allowed that it was easy to get a little more oxygen in the mix, to get rid of that. It was then that it clicked: Smokeless powder runs out of oxygen before it runs out of fuel (re-ignites when it hits air), and it leaves carbon residue, just like a "rich" engine. And that's better than running "lean".

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Denton-

Very Interesting.

THANKS

AGAIN.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spread a clean big tarp out in front of ones bench, torch off a round, and sweep up the residue.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Back when I shot pistol at an indoor range on a weekly basis, I one day had a target fall off its clips. Since there was no one else shooting, I ducked under the counter and went to retrieve it. I was amazed by the crunch beneath my feet.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 33 invisible), 1,811 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,394
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.