Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm not smart enough to be an engineer so I build stuff instead.
I use these calculators,
Jobber 6

Beats the daylights out of a Smoley Book of Slopes and Bevels.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ajmorell
Originally Posted by milespatton
Never used an HP myself,

Once you use an HP for a while, it is hard to use anything else. RPN does have its quirks. miles

Matlab does everything any of them do and does it quicker and easier. All I use a calculator for now is basic adding/subtracting/multiplication/division...I have a TI30 sitting on my desk, just your basic old scientific calculator

Matlab is the devil. Give me my Ti 89 please

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a TI 35 that I bought in 1977. It's still working great with the original battery.

Here's something that you might enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Redneck Professional Engineering Exam

1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that will support a 10 pound possum.

2. Which of the following cars will rust out the quickest when
placed on blocks in your front yard?

A) �66 Ford Fairlane
B)�69 Chevrolet Chevelle
C) �64 Pontiac GTO

3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20 gallons of shine per hour, how many car radiators are necessary tocondense the product?

4. A pulpwood cutter has a chain saw that operates at 2700 rpm. The density of the pine trees in a plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How many Budweiser Tall-Boys will it take to cut the trees?

5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented a charge of R-12 simultaneously, what would be the decrease in the ozone layer?

6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet. The porch floor is 1 inch rough sawn pine. When the porch collapses, how many hound dogs will be killed?

7. A man owns a Arkansas house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with an average slope of 15%. The man has 5 children. Can each of the children place a mobile home on the man�s land?

8. A 2-ton pulpwood truck is overloaded and proceeding down a steep grade on a secondary road at 45 mph. The brakes fail. Given the average traffic loading of secondary roads, how many people will swerve to avoid the truck before it crashes at the bottom of the mountain?

For extra credit, how many of the vehicles that swerved will have mufflers and un-cracked windshields?

9. A Coal Mine operates a NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area. The mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the beginning of 3rd shift. How many cartons of unfiltered Camels will be smoked during the shift?

10. How many generations will it take before cattle develop two legs shorter than the others because of grazing along a mountainside?

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been pretty partial to my TI-30 since I had to learn to use it for my FE exam a couple of years ago, used a TI-89 through most of college, through the brunt of most projects or homework was done with MatLab or something similar.

If it's anything more than simple algebra, I always go for the computer when possible.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can barely use a calculator if it isn't reverse notation.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Geeeeesus Christ,

Nerds actually hunt and shoot? I'm not sure I can post up and participate here any more.........

Last edited by StripBuckHunter; 06/27/13.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter
Geeeeesus Christ,

Nerds actually hunt and shoot? I'm not sure I can post up and participate here any more.........

No pocket protector here.....

I use mine for some complex rafter calculations with curved roofs and such; and its done up numbers on some pretty interesting parabolic curved stairs.

Mine has taken a bit more than HP designed it for buried in sawdust and dropped in the mud of a job site on occasion. LOL

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This takes me back a few years. I wore out the keyboards on two TI's and then got a 15C for Christmas - early eighties IIRC. Got me through university, still got it, still works fine, and thanks to RPN no one borrows it.

I used to take full advantage of the programmable routines you could enter in to it.

One of the better calculators ever made.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First past the then-new (and expensive) four function, with seven segment cold cathode gas display yet, was a TI programmable 59, the one with little magnetic strips that get dragged through the side to store and load programs and ROM modules. And the printing cradle. All still work except the printer skips a dot column, been meaning to fix it for years now. But what gets used is a pretty basic TI solar powered scientific, no batteries. Anything else is on Excel, Scilab (a sort of free open source Matlab), or a routine written in a scripting language like Python.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Originally Posted by ajmorell
Originally Posted by milespatton
Never used an HP myself,

Once you use an HP for a while, it is hard to use anything else. RPN does have its quirks. miles

Matlab does everything any of them do and does it quicker and easier. All I use a calculator for now is basic adding/subtracting/multiplication/division...I have a TI30 sitting on my desk, just your basic old scientific calculator

Matlab is the devil. Give me my Ti 89 please

I hated Matlab too...until I learned to use it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
10. How many generations will it take before cattle develop two legs shorter than the others because of grazing along a mountainside?

Eveybody knows that you have to send the wife or kids out every once in a while to turn them cows around and make them graze in the other direction to keep the legs the same length. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still using my HP 48GX nearly every day at work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by morecowbell

One problem with RPN, once you "learn it" your mind thinks mathematics in that order and you appear to be an idiot when handed a $5 TI POS, or try to use your calculator on your phone.
Mike

My old boss had the HP with the RPN.
He liked it because normal people never bothered to borrow it... smile

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC

Redneck Professional Engineering Exam

1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that will support a 10 pound possum.

2. Which of the following cars will rust out the quickest when
placed on blocks in your front yard?

A) �66 Ford Fairlane
B)�69 Chevrolet Chevelle
C) �64 Pontiac GTO

3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20 gallons of shine per hour, how many car radiators are necessary tocondense the product?

4. A pulpwood cutter has a chain saw that operates at 2700 rpm. The density of the pine trees in a plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How many Budweiser Tall-Boys will it take to cut the trees?

5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented a charge of R-12 simultaneously, what would be the decrease in the ozone layer?

6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet. The porch floor is 1 inch rough sawn pine. When the porch collapses, how many hound dogs will be killed?

7. A man owns a Arkansas house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with an average slope of 15%. The man has 5 children. Can each of the children place a mobile home on the man�s land?

8. A 2-ton pulpwood truck is overloaded and proceeding down a steep grade on a secondary road at 45 mph. The brakes fail. Given the average traffic loading of secondary roads, how many people will swerve to avoid the truck before it crashes at the bottom of the mountain?

For extra credit, how many of the vehicles that swerved will have mufflers and un-cracked windshields?

9. A Coal Mine operates a NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area. The mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the beginning of 3rd shift. How many cartons of unfiltered Camels will be smoked during the shift?

That is easy stuff

1. Depends on how many persimmons the possum has et.

2. Cars on blocks will remain in pristine condition for a zillion years , until the instant you try to move them at which time they will disintegrate.

3. Ford or Chevy ?

4. 127 1/2 beers per acre

5. The ozone layer is a myth , don't even try that schit.

6. All of 'em except for one that is clinging to life & you will have to shoot.

7. If you stack them

8. The ones that are driving drunk will swerve & escape harm , if there are any sober drivers (doubtful) they will collide with the log truck & meet instant death.

Extra Credit - The same number that have tires with belts showing.

9. All they got & they will send out for more.

10. Mountain cattle are BORN with 2 short legs dummy.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
<snip> Anything else is on Excel, Scilab (a sort of free open source Matlab), or a routine written in a scripting language like Python.

nighthawk,

How do you like Scilab?

I don't really use Matlab enough to justify paying their annual "maintenance fee" any more, and I am looking for alternatives (and open source is nice too!).

Perhaps I should apologize for trying to derail the thread, but with a title like inane thread of the day perhaps I should not worry. wink

John

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I once had the honor of managing a sister department in an organization that had arguably the greatest collection of analog and DSP engineers to ever grace a design department. Almost to a man, they were dedicated RPN folks.

I was corrupted - I know what a TI 30, 55, and 99 are/were. I made the switch to Sharp calculators some time in the late 80's and have no complaints.

My favorite was a Sharp 525, any scientific calc I needed to do, and strong on conversions between numbering systems. It is 1/3 again the size of most calculators and I gained a reputation for having "The Big Keys". That calculator went with me everywhere for years. I took a lot of good-natured ribbing over the years that I owned it.

I left that job in late 1994. Fast forward more than a decade and the company I then worked for bought out what was left of the company that I had left in 1994. Part of the package was continued employment for those who had toughed it out.
I can not begin to express the feelings I had when on the first day a group of those old-timers (past direct reports of mine) walked up and presented me with my old calculator. I had left it behind but they had kept it in use in our old lab. Big Keys was back!!!
I have never really figured out if those were tears of joy in seeing old Big Keys once again or if it was because I was touched that those guys remembered me and my attachment to that calculator.

Big Keys is near my elbow as I type - those larger than normal keys are really starting to come in handy.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If an Arkansas couple get married, then move to California and later get divorced, are they still brother and sister?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Reverse the direction and you'd be asking about brother and brother.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was in college (MSU 56) they actually didn't have calculators you could buy (not someone on a restricted budget that is). The Dietzen,Pickett 'Log Log Duplex Decitrig' ruled and every good engineering student had one swinging from the belt in their neat leather case. Used a 6" Pickett in my pocket for years. Fast forward some years and I bought my wife a TI BA-11 which was an 'Executive Business Analyst', This was well before the advent of PC's. She was a stock broker and used it daily. I still use it daily. Now everyone has a PC or does everything on their smartphone. Just think what happens when the power goes out and the batteries die. Business actually stops. I suppose that's what's called progress or advancement.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,281
Posts18,486,813
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.