Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Loading a 1.4" bullet into an AR15 mag length should be interesting..

People of Walmart, and "patriot rifles" aside, I'm still not seeing much killing difference between the two carts..

There is not much if any difference in practical accuracy or killing power in the game fields. I choose the 6.8 and would do so again. I like the cartridge very much and do not see that I have given up any practical exterior ballistics in doing so. With either cartridge I would set my AR's up with low power S&B scopes with lots of field of view. For long range works have much better options already and the minor differences between the 2 cartridges is a moot point to me

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jwp475; 06/30/13.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 6.8 does look like a lot of fun..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Loading a 1.4" bullet into an AR15 mag length should be interesting..

People of Walmart, and "patriot rifles" aside, I'm still not seeing much killing difference between the two carts..

There is not much if any difference in practical accuracy or killing power in the game fields. I choose the 6.8 and would do so again. I like the cartridge very much and do not see that I have given up any practical exterior ballistics in doing so. With either cartridge I would set my AR's up with low power S&B scopes with lots of field of view. For long range works have much better options already and the minor differences between the 2 cartridges is a moot point to me

[Linked Image]

Nice looking AR!! Here's my hunting rifle and patriot gun. Well one of them wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SanCalPigHunter
The Grendel is not an ideal Elk round but it can bring them dowm. The 6.5mm is to Elk what a 223 is to deer. Is it ideal? No but it can bring them down absolutely. Remember you can load 140gr high BC bullets like the Berger Match VLD Hunting with a .612 BC and a 2315fps mv. Is it as good as a 30-06? No but people have dropped Elk at 400 yards with the Grendel.

The guy in the video was not impressive to me in his knowledge of terminal ballistics, since he reference "energy dump" which means he is ignorant of what is actually happening in an "inelastic collision" which a bullet strike most certainly is

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
5.56 with 77gr SMK's or maybe 64gr Noslers for hunting.

I just spent a bit of time running an LWRC 8.5in 6.8SPC. Not my idea of a defensive carbine. A LOT of recoil to manage. It kicks more than an AK. I don't have any trouble dumping an entire mag from a full-auto AK into a close range target. I had to back off and "dig-in" to do that with the 6.8.

You know, you CAN own two uppers, one for hunting and one for defensive work. Owning an AR and not having a 5.56 uppper ain't too bright, IMO.
I have said this same thing about the 6.8 several times and caught all sorts of flack for it. The 6.8's recoil is not heavy by any means, it's just heavy for a fast-shooting gun and much heavier than a 5.56. JMO.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I just spent a bit of time running an LWRC 8.5in 6.8SPC. Not my idea of a defensive carbine. A LOT of recoil to manage. It kicks more than an AK. I don't have any trouble dumping an entire mag from a full-auto AK into a close range target. I had to back off and "dig-in" to do that with the 6.8.

You know, you CAN own two uppers, one for hunting and one for defensive work. Owning an AR and not having a 5.56 uppper ain't too bright, IMO.
I have said this same thing about the 6.8 several times and caught all sorts of flack for it. The 6.8's recoil is not heavy by any means, it's just heavy for a fast-shooting gun and much heavier than a 5.56. JMO.

I have both and the 6.8's recoil is not a factor in fast accurate fire in-fact I often see bullet impacts through the scope

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Both under 2-300 yards are probably almost the same. 300-800 the Grendel shines, thus giving you a good pronghorn gun or coyote gun. I think also the Grendel can shoot slightly lighter weight bullets for smaller game. Like I said, best all around. Whether you get ammo or not at Walmart isn't an issue for me, I reload, except for 22's. Off topic, but I am considering a 22 Hornet as a 22 mag substitute. I found out I can reload a Hornet about the same price as 22 mag and can get twice the power.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I fail to see the problem in taking a deer at 400 or so yards with the 6.8 and do not see the 6.5's claimed advantage until farther out and then the 6.8 ain't bad

Last edited by jwp475; 06/30/13.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by SanCalPigHunter
The Grendel is not an ideal Elk round but it can bring them dowm. The 6.5mm is to Elk what a 223 is to deer. Is it ideal? No but it can bring them down absolutely. Remember you can load 140gr high BC bullets like the Berger Match VLD Hunting with a .612 BC and a 2315fps mv. Is it as good as a 30-06? No but people have dropped Elk at 400 yards with the Grendel.

As much as I like my 6.8 and recognize the Grendel as a viable alternative, there just ain't no way I'm hunting elk with either one of them. Yes, I know they have both been used to take elk at distance, but I choose not to even attempt to duplicate that stunt.

The 6.8 is the modern 30-30. It has about the same uses.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

I fail to see the problem in taking a deer at 400 or so yards with the 6.8 and do not see the 6.5's claimed advantage until farther out and then the 6.8 ain't bad

The data shows the gredel has the advantage from muzzle out. The higher bc bullets give it the real advantage. The short stubby 6.8 bullets rate pretty low on the hornady HITS calculator and they shed energy and velocity quickly. The grendel has a higher HITS score from muzzle to flesh.

Last edited by SanCalPigHunter; 06/30/13.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I also saw a chart somewhere, that at long range the 6.5 actually retained more energy than a 308. It is one of those calibers that does more than it should, like the 6mm PPC. The 6.5 Swede is also a good one. In Sweden, they use their 6.5 to hunt moose.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wish you guys would just buy one of each and start killing something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1, Both kill no prob to 300 yds, which covers about 90-95% or more of deer/big game hunting esp in an AR platform for most hunters IMHO. Folks need to consider velocity to expand, comparing rounds on FT LBS alone does not tell the story.

As to chamber spec variance of Grendel for LBC, etc. - the originator's goofed the marketing and launch of the round by trying to hold on to all rights. Hornady, etc. got around it to offer it to more people. No issues IMO with the change. I'd just go w/latest reamer specs for best accuracy.

At least one guy thought so highly of the 6.5 - he had a 6.5 round done on the 6.8 case - Hmmmmmm and has a whole website on it. Something to ponder.

http://www.reloadbench.com/cgi-bin/...mber=34&DaysPrune=1000&SUBMIT=Go

I recognize his work prob was largely done before more brass available in Grendel, and less bullet choices in light 6.8s.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What the [bleep] is a HITS score? Is that something JeffO came up with?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I have both and the 6.8's recoil is not a factor in fast accurate fire in-fact I often see bullet impacts through the scope
I'm sure you've more AR experience than TAK...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now we're dumping mags at elk?

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Alexander Arms came up with the 6.5. They also came up with the 50 Beowulf. However the 458 Socom has just as much power and uses 45-70 bullets in reloading. Bill Alexander made a mistake on both IMHO. Trying to hold on to the 6.5 priority, and not necking down the 50 Beowulf to 458 caliber. The 6.5 is now SAMII speced as of 2012. So anyone can make the barrels and ammo for it now.

Remington came out with the 6.8 based on their old 30 Rem cartridge that fell by the wayside to the 30-30. But they didn't keep the priority to it. After reviewing all I could, I think the 6.5 is a better round. I also think the 458 Socom is a better round (for reloaders) because the 450 Bushmaster uses a slightly smaller bullet than the 458 and if you use 458 bullets in the 450 they have to be resized slightly smaller which is an extra step in the reloading process.

I also think if I can come up with the money, that the 300 Blackout is another good caliber to have. Good short range cartridge and it can use a silencer with subsonic bullets. For longer range the 6.5 is the way to go for more knockdown than the 223 can offer. Then for a big thumber the 458 Socom. That would cover just about all bases except long range magnums, with 4 total uppers. Throw in a 22 LR conversion kit and you should be able to take anything in North America.

Last edited by Dixie_Dude; 07/01/13.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
6.8's and 6.5's serve multiple purposes. Hunting, protecting your family and your constitution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Umm, yeah. You're getting a week long tag team from Kate Upton and Olivia Munn before there's even a 1% chance of you shooting at zombies and black helicopters.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
6.8's and 6.5's serve multiple purposes. Hunting, protecting your family and your constitution.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 9 invisible), 1,708 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,906
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.