Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've had several .22 Magnums, and while some shot pretty well with a load or two, never owned one that was super-accurate. Just tested my latest--an older 9422M--the other day with several loads, and the 30-grain TNT load sold by both CCI and Federal shoots into a half-inch or so for 5 shots at 50! And it's the model of .22 Magnum I've always liked the best....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 9422M, uncheckered, etc. It surprised me by shooting the lighter Win Supreme and 30 gr TNT load under an inch consistently for 3 shots at 100 yards. Much better than my Marlin 882. My son and I routinely make headshots on jackrabbits out to 125 yards. Past that, we hold off a bit and aim for the body. I just never expected the lever action to out shoot bolt action rifles.

Last edited by Calif. Hunter; 06/29/13.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Interesting. I was thinking of getting a 22 mag and this gives me something else to look at.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've had several .22 Magnums, and while some shot pretty well with a load or two, never owned one that was super-accurate. Just tested my latest--an older 9422M--the other day with several loads, and the 30-grain TNT load sold by both CCI and Federal shoots into a half-inch or so for 5 shots at 50! And it's the model of .22 Magnum I've always liked the best....

Have you ever tested a CZ 452 in 22 magnum?

I would also love to try a CZ 455 with one of the new Lilja barrels in 22 mag.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Darned good shooting....most of my .22 magnums shoot patterns, not groups, with all but the Remington 33 gr.; the worst being a Winchester 61 which doesn't group anything...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
R H Clark,

One of my .22 Magnums was a CZ 452. It shot several loads pretty well, but nothing super-accurately.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
balltownbob,

The Remington 33-grain load shoots patterns in this 9422M!
The one group I shot at 50 yards was over 4".

The load that's shot pretty well in just about every .22 Magnum I've owned is Winchester's 45-grain hollow-point. In this rifle it does about 3/4" at 50 yards for 5 shots, and that's probably about average for all the rifles I've tried it in. Some shot a little better, and some shot not quite as well, but it always seems to shoot decently. It ain't the fastest .22 Magnum load, but it kills stuff!

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good to know....I tried that W-w load and it didn't work. I confess to not having wrung out any of my 22 magnums though. I bought a high-end Cooper with a Lilja barrel specifically to see how accurate a 22 WMR might be....ha ha ha....it only cared for those Remington 33 Accu-Tips...even the high dollar RWS solid and HPs were flops...

One of these days will have to spend a day at the range with just 22 WMRs in tow.....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I must confess .22 Magnums have been something to a mystery to me over the years--and apparently to others as well. I've owned a bunch of .22LR rifles and they all have shot at least decently with a wide variety of ammo, and I can't remember one scattering shots all over. Same with .17 rimfires.

But every .22 Magnum I've shot (including one Volquartsen) has shown decided preferences for one or two brands, and very rarely have they shot every kind of ammo reasonably. I'm guessing it can't be an ammo problem, because some will shoot one brand into tiny groups, while another rifle will scatter the same load all over.

Consequently I keep a number of sample loads on hand, to see what a new-to-me rifle might like.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had 5 or 6 marlin 22 mags, and none of them would shoot the lighter/faster stuff as well as cci solids or hp's. Had one ruger 77/22mag that wouldn't shoot anything good. Glad to hear your "new" Winny likes them so much.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Marlin 882 likes the "regular" 40 gr Win Super-X HPs the best. I have spent a lot of money trying various loads in that gun, and none beat the "standard" Win Super-X. CCI 40 gr HPs run second. My 9422M shoots almost as well as my .17 HMR CZ 452 Varmint. (That CZ .17 is also ammo-fussy, liking the 16 gr lead-free and 20 gr HP the best. It shoots 17 gr V-Maxs into 2-inch groups at 100 while the aforementioned two loads are usually under an inch at 100 yards.)

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I must confess .22 Magnums have been something to a mystery to me over the years--and apparently to others as well. I've owned a bunch of .22LR rifles and they all have shot at least decently with a wide variety of ammo, and I can't remember one scattering shots all over. Same with .17 rimfires.

But every .22 Magnum I've shot (including one Volquartsen) has shown decided preferences for one or two brands, and very rarely have they shot every kind of ammo reasonably. I'm guessing it can't be an ammo problem, because some will shoot one brand into tiny groups, while another rifle will scatter the same load all over.

Consequently I keep a number of sample loads on hand, to see what a new-to-me rifle might like.

That's too bad, I have a mossy chuckster that shoots 4 types of ammo very well. I was messing around with it the other day after throwing an old weaver K4 on it and this is how she shoots:

[Linked Image]
10 shot group @.695". I don't even shoot 3 or 5 shot groups with this rifle because it's just plain boring. It shoots almost this good with the cheap azz winchester dyna points, cci maxi mags, and does even better with the poly tipped (accu-tip) Remington 33gr bullets...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had 2 9422M rifles, both Deluxe versions. Ammo testing started and stopped with WW SuperX 40 gr JSP and FMJ. Same POI.

I don't shoot the present one much but it averages around 1/2" at 50 and has done so from day one. The first did about as well but never got any time at a range to verify group size. Same ammo worked quite well. Whacked a few hogs with it.

9422 and the WMR is a natural combination that carries well and shoots better AFIC.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and the 94-17 beats it in the accuracy dept.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I never heard of such a contraption.

Until now.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I found a new Anschutz 1720 on Gunbroker a few years ago. It's quite accurate. I have only shot the Hornady plastic tips through it.
Two Ruger 77/22 mags went through my gun safe. Neither would shoot anything close to accurate, with any ammo.

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Digital Dan,

I first got the desire for a 9422M just as Winchester quit making them, around a decade ago. Got lucky and found one in a local store--and as far as I know it was the last new 9422M sold in the state of Montana. Right next to it were half a dozen 94-17's--and they were gone within a couple of weeks.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a 94-22M with brown lam stock.

It seems to like the CCI 30 grain Vmax.

I put a Skinner peep on it. Great gun for walking varmits.

Had a Ruger 77-V 22 mag. that wouldn't shoot near as well as this lever gun with peep sights.

Virgil B.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Mine wouldn't do that. Maybe I didn't try enough kinds of ammo. Glad I bought it though, because they were out of production by the time I gave up on it, and I got a pretty decent rifle in trade.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had one just like it way back when ,loved the accuracy and feel of it but didn,t care much for the round.
For my purposes .squirrel, cottontail rabbit,plinking it was too much cartridge.Although it would kill coyote I never thought it great for that either.
But I live in Arkansas and we dont to my knowledge have jackrabbit if we did it would have been Ideal for that purpose.
From coons on down I found the 22 Long rifle plenty good enough.
Was a Heck of a rifle though !!

Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,817
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.