Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Do not take the 1907 apart. You will never get the recoil spring back in it.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't go overboard for Zombies

stick to 9mm, 40s&w, 45Auto or 223Rem...

Something you can pickup anywhere

stopping powere is no big deal cause of the shot location

Stay away from 22LR... trust me

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

grin

well, one of them is apart, and I need to make a new spring for it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the m1 carbine owes a lot of its parentage to the 351. There were over 7million m1carbines made, probably a million left according to estimates world wide. Most used hard and put away wet. It would cost into the 800dollar range just to rebuild one.
however,
a carbine if you look under rocks you can still find the brass/bullets. There are a lot of parts including new barrels out there, and they definitely have mag capacity if you want that. A paratrooper stocked m1carbine with two 30round mags strapped on is kind of impressive.
I would look at the 351 as a collector's item only. A m1carbine particularly with new tech. bullets is in a different category.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

grin

If you call ahead and make sure I'm at the shop I will help you get it back in. Best way I've found is It will take both of us.

Founder

WS

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

grin

If you call ahead and make sure I'm at the shop I will help you get it back in. Best way I've found is It will take both of us.

Thanks, I will take you up on that! - this one lived a long hard life on a South Texas ranch, and is in rougher shape than the one I posted earlier. It was a gift from a friend of my Grandad, to my Dad. S/N 2XXX

I do seem to recall launching the spring out of it, at one point blush The recoil spring is mechanically worn and needs replacing. Since these are blowback operated, a spring failure could be a big problem.

The piece I am holding is the very large forged & machined breechblock. It would cost a fortune to make one of these today.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yes. Know those parts well. Hopefully the forearm wood isn't splintered up. That seems to happen a bunch to the rifles that had an active life! Worked on one the other day for a young kid. His was in pretty good shape. About 1916 vintage.

Interesting thing about the 1907. The French and Russians bought a few to test and use in the Great War. I believe a few did make it to the trenches in France. US Signal Corps bought a bunch too! Idea was to use them in Curtiss JN-3's and 4's as armament for the observer! Not many were used.

Been in and out of work lately with mom and wifey's health. So check before you drive up!

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would hold out for the 30 M1 CB unless i was just buying the Winchester for hunting or collecting . You want to look for a Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
while finding .30 carbine ammo can be a challenge at times, finding adequate quantities of .351 SL would seem an impossible task.
During the Zombie Apocalypse, you will need more than half a box. shocked

grin

Cracked me up, Sam!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bumping this, I obtained a magazine for the first one shown up top - for a mere $64 eek When I dry fired it, it went "plop"

"hmmmm..." I thought.

They are takedown rifles; one screw at the back separates the rifle and opens up the trigger group. I don't think it had ever been apart, judging by the dried oil in the action. The firing pin was frozen, too. Some soaking in Kroil & CLP, and now I think it should work okay. Haven't yet worked up the nerve to take down the front end, though smile

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kahr makes the M1 Carbine but they are priced as high a original which i would hold out for if i was in the market for one .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Wish I could find the article. A well known gun writer implied that had the M1 carbine been chambered for the 351 cartridge origianlly it would have been a far better battle rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm kind of surprised the .351 wasn't made originally to use .357 bullets, since that bore size had already been established by that point. Would certainly make things easier, from a tooling standpoint

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Wish I could find the article. A well known gun writer implied that had the M1 carbine been chambered for the 351 cartridge origianlly it would have been a far better battle rifle.
The M1 Carbine was never intended to be a battle rifle. Pretty much all the criticism of the little Carbine has been from people trying to compare it to battle rifles. The M1 was a PDW; a replacement for a handgun. And a fine replacement it was. The decision to use .30 caliber was for a couple of reasons. 1 � Existing barrel making equipment could be made use of. 2 � The lighter bullet of the .30 Carbine made for much lighter ammunition. Sure a .351 would have been better, but weight savings was a HUGE priority for the design of the M1 Carbine. When used for what it was designed for, the M1 Carbine really didn�t much disappoint. Especially when you consider your other choice was an M1911A1. Problems came in Korea where ranges were long, and clothing was heavy, and soldiers pressed the M1 Carbine into service as a front line infantry rifle�not a smart move.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by websterparish47
The M1 Carbine was never intended to be a battle rifle. Pretty much all the criticism of the little Carbine has been from people trying to compare it to battle rifles. The M1 was a PDW; a replacement for a handgun. And a fine replacement it was. The decision to use .30 caliber was for a couple of reasons. 1 � Existing barrel making equipment could be made use of. 2 � The lighter bullet of the .30 Carbine made for much lighter ammunition. Sure a .351 would have been better, but weight savings was a HUGE priority for the design of the M1 Carbine. When used for what it was designed for, the M1 Carbine really didn�t much disappoint. Especially when you consider your other choice was an M1911A1. Problems came in Korea where ranges were long, and clothing was heavy, and soldiers pressed the M1 Carbine into service as a front line infantry rifle�not a smart move.

the heavy clothing thing is a myth.....it penetrated the clothing fine.....problem was it was skinny lil starving bastards in the bulky clothing so not every solid looking hit actually hit flesh or atleast didnt hit anything vital.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another vote for te M1 carbine.

The 351SL is a fine nostalgia gun to hunt with (might be sweet on a pig hunt).

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Perhaps Military Rifle would have been a better term.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
M870 Remington 12 ga. pump with 'bucking shot' or #2s would suffice best! Folks tend to duck when they hear the slide action put into play!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An M1 carbine design adapted to a rimless .357 Magnum round would be pretty neat but I can't see there being a big market for it today. Particularly not with all of the various chamberings and uppers you can get on the AR platform these days.

Still would'a been cool back before the AR-15 was born. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Own and shoot both. My pick by far is the 30 carbine for all the previous listed reasons. Another $300. spent to get the military issue version of the carbine will be money well spent. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,326
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.