Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by BWalker
True that that they have a shortage of drawing applications, but they end up selling most if the leftovers and at a higher price than if you go through the drawing. Further, volume selling a consumable resource isn't a great idea.

I'm not sure of your point on "volume selling?" Hopefully you didn't get the idea that I was advocating increased volume of tag sales? One of the other tenets of the North American model of wildlife management (besides public trust doctrine) is science-based decisions on tag numbers and I support that. If Montana allots a certain number of tags including res and non-res, that means their wildlife managers have determined that the herd can support those numbers.

There is a huge difference in managing for max opportunity vs quality.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BWalker
There is a huge difference in managing for max opportunity vs quality.

Yes, I'm aware of that. My home state does both, depending on the GMU.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DINK
The ranches that I know do not want all the antelope gone. Why would they?

Oh, I don't know, maybe something to do with the antelope eating their crops and grass? Just a guess.

I was talking to one last weekend in NE CO. He told me to bring all my friends when I come back to hunt and said he'd prefer that I shoot more than one.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The ranches that I know do not want all the antelope gone. Why would they?

Oh, I don't know, maybe something to do with the antelope eating their crops and grass? Just a guess.

I was talking to one last weekend in NE CO. He told me to bring all my friends when I come back to hunt and said he'd prefer that I shoot more than one.

I hear stories such as this all the time but I never seem to run into it.

A lot of trespass fees are $500 or more. That's half a beef and they don't have to do anything. No shots, wormer, hay, etc. Some of these ranches take more than a 100 hunters per season if tags are drawn. Do the math. No one want antelope to be killed off.

Dink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Right. And they'd let every Tom Dick and Harry shoot a buck for $500. Just the guys you want making decisions on kill quotas.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I have often heard of the rancher that wants all the antelope killed off but I have yet to run into one that would let me kill any for free.

Dink

This doesn't surprise me. Dink you need to talk to more people - in addition, work on your approach.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That is the truth. I don't even hunt antelope very much, this year will be my second year hunting them in the last 15. But it's been no problem finding landowners who will let me hunt for free. It does take a little legwork though.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I have often heard of the rancher that wants all the antelope killed off but I have yet to run into one that would let me kill any for free.

Dink

I took a few days off, went fishing and golfing. Come back here and it is like a Soap Opera, Dink is still whining about not being able to go hunting.

Everyone is against him, no one will let him hunt for free, no state that he wants to hunt will let him do it for free and on and on and on.

There is a pattern that seems to be developing here and it isn't with Montana or ranchers.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Right. And they'd let every Tom Dick and Harry shoot a buck for $500. Just the guys you want making decisions on kill quotas.

$500 plus tag will get you a doe but you will need &1500 plus for a buck in NM! The greedy outfitters and land owners just shoot them and let me rot if G&F doesn't' give them enough vouchers to sell. It is a law the crooked demos protect here. $500 I would hunt them every year!

Good Shooting!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hunting1

$500 plus tag will get you a doe but you will need &1500 plus for a buck in NM! The greedy outfitters and land owners just shoot them and let me rot if G&F doesn't' give them enough vouchers to sell. It is a law the crooked demos protect here. $500 I would hunt them every year!

you have to be full of chit cause Montana is the only state that rips hunters off smirk

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Dink

I took a few days off, went fishing and golfing. Come back here and it is like a Soap Opera, Dink is still whining about not being able to go hunting.

Everyone is against him, no one will let him hunt for free, no state that he wants to hunt will let him do it for free and on and on and on.

There is a pattern that seems to be developing here and it isn't with Montana or ranchers.

No one owes me anything. Just like I owe them nothing. I do think its funny how resident of western states sure don't like their way of doing things questioned though. Its fun to see the arguments turn to name calling when they no longer have good responses to questions/statements. They sure don't like their golden goose questioned.

Guys like me are tired of paying for everyone else (this includes a lot of things). Western residents are to lazy/selfish to even pay for their own game and fish departments. The only thought they have when they need money is charge non-residents more. Cause residents can not even think of coughing up a dollar for resources they use/benefit from. I live cheap and don't owe much money. What little money I do have I did not save to give to some game fish department because people think I should. Western states always slid by and were not challenged because they never really priced the working man out until now. Game and fish can not get away from the "wants" and "someone should pay" attitude.

I am tired of the shut and pay it or stay at home crowd. I shouldn't have to stay home or pay 29 times the price of tag on a piece of ground that everyone pays for. Of course one of the pay it or shut crowd that posted in this thread stated that he was fine with giving more than a $1,000 for a elk tag in a earlier thread about tag prices. This same member sold his FoxPro on another forum for gas money last year so he could hunt. I would think that a guy that was fine with giving more than a $1,000 for a elk tag would have a couple hundred dollars for gas money. I bet the majority of the shut and pay it crowd is like him.

I am tired of paying for the all the Federal land and the upkeep on it. Then being told you can only have 10% or less of the tags at 29 times the price in the unit. Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, etc. are not foreign countries they are still part of the USA. Those states are splitting 376 million dollars from the Robertson-Pittman tax just like the rest of rest of the states are. Where is that money going and what are they doing with it?

I seen posted that states want to study the worm that kills some moose when they get it and some moose live when they get it. Guess what the study will find after they spend millions on it. Some moose that get the worm die and some live. Baaaaaad Worm.

The main argument for voting in I161 was no one should be guaranteed a job. As soon as Montana started talking about buffalo all you hear is ranchers going out business because they won't be able to lease grazing rights....Hmm thought no one should be guaranteed a job.

I think its a shame that Missouri is giving its tags away for $225 to non-residents that are charging Missouri residents $500 to $700 for the very same whitetail tag to hunt their state. I bring this up to every Conservation worker I come across. They all say that they are funded through sales tax and not non-resident tag fee's. My response is wouldn't you like more money to study CWD? You should see the light bulb come on. Its just a matter of time before I run into someone that will run with it.

Just like this taking advantage of non-residents to hunt federal land. I will keep poking around until I finally find someone ornery enough or someone who thinks they can make a dollar somehow from it to run with it. It may never fly but the pot will be stirred with a big spoon.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dont know any nonresident hunter that hunts eastern Montana that only hunts federal land.....they all hunt a mix of BLM, private BMA's and state school trust....what your after wont result in cheaper tags caus its gonna cost a hell of alot more in enforcement agencies cause in alot of places its a checkerboard of state, federal and private land and the only thing that usually marked worth a chit is private land and it isnt always....so your cheap tags are gonna go up quick to pay for game rangers to monitor federal land aswell as new fencing/signage of huge tracks of land....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
and still with the "western states" stuff. Your own "eastern" state charges 13X for non-residents, and that's for unlimited OTC whitetails.

what state doesn't charge more for non-residents, especially for limited-quota species?

fix this in your own home state, then we'll talk. whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dinky still thinks paying federal taxes means he should be able to get state game tags for free?

I know writing parking tickets doesn't take much brain power, but come the [bleep] on.. how many times does it have to be explained to you?

Have someone you know re-write Randy's post above in crayon. Maybe that will help.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Now Western state residents are "lazy and selfish"?

Dink, if nothing else you're cheap entertainment.

Last edited by SLM; 07/06/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It costs money to a lazy hunter.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have to apologize to this thread. I may be responsible for the whining ramblings of Dink. He is the kind of kid I used to beat up on the playground in school and it has a negative effect on them when they get older. (Even though they were teenagers at the time)

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DINK, changing the world one complaint at a time. All he has to do is complain enough and eventually somebody will do something about it. Sounds a lot like some of the junior high kids that I know.

[Linked Image]

Did you know that DINK has some Swaro binoculars and a Sako rifle with a Leupold scope on it?? Pretty nice stuff. One day I'm going to save up for the same stuff so I can shoot bucks like this on leased land.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Those states are splitting 376 million dollars from the Robertson-Pittman tax just like the rest of rest of the states are. Where is that money going and what are they doing with it?

It's Pittman-Robertson, and it's actually more than that this year. All states get a share, and Colorado's share funds roughly 10% of the wildlife part of the Parks & Wildlife budget.

I think its a shame that Missouri is giving its tags away for $225 to non-residents that are charging Missouri residents $500 to $700 for the very same whitetail tag to hunt their state. I bring this up to every Conservation worker I come across. They all say that they are funded through sales tax and not non-resident tag fee's. My response is wouldn't you like more money to study CWD? You should see the light bulb come on. Its just a matter of time before I run into someone that will run with it.

Wow. Interesting that on the one hand you're whining that other states should make their non-res. tags cheaper, while at the same time whining that your state should make yours more expensive, when they're already at a 17:1 ratio and most western states are around 10:1. I think there's a word for that.

Colorado's elk tags are only at a 10:1 ratio. And I guarantee there's much more demand for them than there is for a Missouri whitetail tag. And you could say the same for the other western states you whine about.

I do think its funny how resident of western states sure don't like their way of doing things questioned though.

All states have a huge disparity between res. and non-res. tag fees, not just western states. So you're questioning your own state's way of doing things too. Your home state charges proportionally more than most of the western states you're whining about, as has already been pointed out.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ranger1
DINK, changing the world one complaint at a time. All he has to do is complain enough and eventually somebody will do something about it. Sounds a lot like some of the junior high kids that I know.

[Linked Image]

Did you know that DINK has some Swaro binoculars and a Sako rifle with a Leupold scope on it?? Pretty nice stuff. One day I'm going to save up for the same stuff so I can shoot bucks like this on leased land.

You can keep telling people you own that stuff.

Hey you got gas money this year?. Or I guess a better question is what are you selling. I might be interested...laffin.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 07/06/13.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (300_savage, 222Sako, 3040Krag, 257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 57 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,685
Posts18,534,444
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.