-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only one rifle, a drilling; probably 16/16ga with 9.3 or 375 under and a 5.56 sleeve for one of the top barrels.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Here are the current information, extracted from another site.

Benin
� There is no minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Benin.
� Benin does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Botswana
� The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Botswana is .222 caliber for any game other than dangerous game.
� The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Botswana is .375 caliber for dangerous game or big game hunting.
� The maximum equipment allowed for rifle hunting in Botswana is .577 Nitro Express caliber.
� Botswana does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Burkina Faso
� There is no minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Burkina Faso.
� Burkina Faso does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Cameroon
� For Group 1 - Small Game, the equipment requirement for hunting is .240 caliber or less, shotgun may be used as well.
� For Group 2 - Medium Game, the equipment requirement for hunting is .240 to .354 caliber.
� For Group 3 - Big Game, the equipment requirement for hunting is .354 caliber or larger.
� Cameroon does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Central African Republic
� The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Central African Republic is .375 caliber for dangerous game or big game hunting.
� Central African Republic does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Ethiopia
� There is no minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Ethiopia.
� Ethiopia does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Mozambique
� There is no minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Mozambique.
� Mozambique does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Namibia
� Smallest caliber allowed 7 mm (.284).
� Minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity)
� Big Game
5400 Joule
(Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Rhino, Lion, etc.)
� Large Game
2700 Joule
(Greater Kudu, Cape Eland, Oryx / Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Hartmann's Zebra, Burchell's Zebra, Giraffe, Sable Antelope, Roan Antelope, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, Leopard, etc.)
� Medium to Small Game
1350 Joule
(Springbok, Impala, Blesbok, Gray Duiker, Steenbok, Ostrich, Caracal, Black-Faced Impala, Red Lechwe, Damara Dik-Dik, Klipspringer, Black-Backed Jackal, Warthog, Cheetah, Nyala, Chacma Baboon, Game Birds, etc.)

South Africa
� Most provinces do not have a minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting and rely on common sense.
� Some provinces require a minimum of .375 caliber for dangerous or big game hunting.
� No provinces require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Tanzania
� The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Tanzania is .240 caliber for any game other than dangerous game.
� The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Tanzania is .375 caliber for dangerous game or big game hunting.
� Tanzania does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Zambia
� Zambia does not have a minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting plains game and rely on common sense. Caliber in the .270 range will be well suited for some of the smaller plains game in Zambia.
� The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Zambia is .300 caliber for dangerous game such as Leopard and Lion.
� The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Zambia is .375 caliber for dangerous game or big game hunting such as Elephant, Buffalo and Hippo.
� Zambia does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Zimbabwe
� Class A Game
5300 Joule
Minimum caliber 9.2mm in diameter
(Elephant, Hippo, Buffalo)
� Class B Game
4300 Joule
Minimum caliber 7.0mm in diameter
(Lion, Giraffe, Eland)
� Class C Game
3000 Joule
Minimum caliber 7.0mm in diameter
(Leopard, Crocodile, Kudu, Oryx / Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Wildebeest, Zebra, Nyala, Sable Antelope, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, etc.)
� Class D Game
850 Joule
Minimum caliber 5.56mm in diameter
(Warthog, Impala, Reedbuck, Sitatunga, Duiker, Steenbok, Jackal, Game Birds, etc.)
� Black Powder Rifles
Minimum caliber .40

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm not aware of any country that actually enforces the above requirements for caliber size. If you wanted to wack a Cape buffalo with a 243 and your PH said ok, have at it. After all its your money. Ethics be dammed.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Well in May in Limpopo, one of the guys wanted to whack a Buff with his 308...and the PH was like, not no but h&^% NO! you're
not shooting a Buff around here with a 308....all 3 PH's thought it was not the smartest idea they had ever heard of....and the guy was very good with his 308.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Was informed just the other day, by a guy who lives in RSA that the 22s no longer allowed for hunting. Minimum is 243. This might be only for out of country types. I saw a video and story the other day, about an hour long by this guy in Australia who was a buffalo culler. He used NOTHING by a 308, Ruger model 77 and ball ammo on the Water Buff. BUT , also ONLY took under the ear shots. In a few years had killed 40,000 of them. That's right, 40,000. Would a 308 work on Buff, yes, IF an under the ear shot, from close in. This culler didn't seem to be taking shots over about 50 yds and using his windshield (open topped truck) for a rest, and of course was using a scope. Also, a damned good shot. Buffs just flopped and dead when they hit the ground. I don't think a 308 for a body shot, would be a very good idea, though with a Barnes 150Ttsx bullet, might kill one. At least would get inside, where it could.

Ghost
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ghost
Was informed just the other day, by a guy who lives in RSA that the 22s no longer allowed for hunting. Minimum is 243. This might be only for out of country types. I saw a video and story the other day, about an hour long by this guy in Australia who was a buffalo culler. He used NOTHING by a 308, Ruger model 77 and ball ammo on the Water Buff. BUT , also ONLY took under the ear shots. In a few years had killed 40,000 of them. That's right, 40,000. Would a 308 work on Buff, yes, IF an under the ear shot, from close in. This culler didn't seem to be taking shots over about 50 yds and using his windshield (open topped truck) for a rest, and of course was using a scope. Also, a damned good shot. Buffs just flopped and dead when they hit the ground. I don't think a 308 for a body shot, would be a very good idea, though with a Barnes 150Ttsx bullet, might kill one. At least would get inside, where it could.

That is total Cape buffalo crap. 22cfs are used on a regular basis and with suppressor s. caliber requirements are recommended by the provincial conservation managers.

40,000 really? More BS?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If an 30-06 was used to kill lots of Elephants in the early days I believe a 300 wby mag would be a great all around caliber.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I just finished my 13th African hunt a few weeks ago, and I'd recommend a 416 if all African game is to be hunted with one rifle. Just use solids for smaller animals to reduce damage, and you still have the big caliber for hunting the big animals, like Cape Buffalo, Hippo, and Elephant.

If you feel comfortable taking a 375 up against guys like these in tight quarters, have at it!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the 375 H&H. I use that as my carry rifle in Africa, with the tracker carrying my big bore, if the hunt calls for it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Biebs
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the 375 H&H. I use that as my carry rifle in Africa, with the tracker carrying my big bore, if the hunt calls for it.

I used to carry my .416 Rigby and let the tracker carry my .470. However, in 2008, whilst hunting buff, we got a bit separated from the PH, the other two trackers and the game scout. All of a sudden, we heard a noise and a bull elephant had come up behind us and was acting aggressively. I unslung my .416 and asked the tracker for the .470, only to discover that he had run off with my double! I then ejected the soft from the .416's chamber, chambered the solid beneath it in the magazine and made some noise. The PH came running up, also making some noise and with a toss of his head, the elephant ran off.

From that time on, I carry the .470 and give a chamber empty .416 to the tracker (with a full magazine). I guess you could say I learned a valuable lesson about human behavior that day.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd use one of my .375s if somehow forced to be limited to one. I just can't see what set of circumstances would require that.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
30-06 Let me explain my reasoning. There's a lot of fantasizing about hunting big dangerous game but the reality is different than the fantasy. I'm about to leave for my 18th trip. I will spend a lot of time hunting the various plains game. Lion hunting is pretty much a thing of the past and a good bullet from a 30-06 will end any cat's life quickly. More buffalo and elephant have been shot with 7.62 out of FN-FAL's than anything. My PH buddies think the Springfield is just fine if one is careful in setting up the shot and then shooting well. A really big gun is a perpetual handicap for just about all visiting hunters. I will bet that 95%+ will do a better job of placement with the smaller cartridge. In turn this will produce better results than getting something designed for the worst case leaving aside the question of applying it well.

Lastly, I have never seen a game scout question the adequacy of a cartridge. They are fearful of some clients however.

Last edited by RinB; 08/06/13.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
375 H&H for one reason: the gun and cartridge simply says: AFRICA!! there enough said.
FWIW I am taking my FIRST Safari this year and the PH sets a minimum 6.5 caliber for everything. I am going on a plaines game hunt and metioned a 243, "Sorry", he said, "6.5 minimum"

OK, His land, his rules, no issues. I am taking a 7mm my son is taking his 270. BUt if I were limited to one cartridge for all of Africa, of course 375. In North America? .30/06. Europe? 7X57

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by pacecars
.404 Jeffery

+1... Loaded to modern MV (2400 fps) with a 400 grain bonded SP, monolithic or solid bullet depending on the intended target. A 404 Ruger - same ballistics - will do as well.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
http://www.huntinginafrica.co.za/more-info/minimum-required-caliber/
This plainly states that most African countries have minimum caliber requirements for dangerous game.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity!
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
'plainly' stating usually has very little bearing on how rules are put into effect in much of Africa...

Have you been there yet?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Will second that, plus what RinB posted.

The "laws" about minimum calibers, bullet weights and energy in Africa are as flexible as a rubber chicken. After seeing what my 9.3x62 would do on various larger tougher plains game animals, the game scout in Tanzania a couple of years ago just nodded in a rather bored way when the PH asked if I could use it on buffalo. And no, nobody bribed the scout.

Have continually read statements from American hunters like, "How would you feel with a .375 H&H in your hands when a bad boy like this is up close?" Well, have hunted with a number of PH's who've used a .375 for years for backing up hunters, and the PH's had finished off a pile of animals their clients had wounded with rifles much bigger than a .375 H&H.

Obviously nobody knows who's absolutely right, especially after sitting around on a number of evenings listening to several PH's arguing about rifles, cartridges and bullets, But tend to take the long experience of any PH more seriously than the opinion of a tourist client who has NO experience with the .375 on wounded dangerous game.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
... And no, nobody bribed the scout....

THIS is the part thats hard to believe.. wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not that he never took some $$ in other situations....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
You mean 'donations'....right? grin

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 17Hunter, 163bc, 71 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,629
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.