Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yep, I was all stoved up jus' a short time ago.. totally my mistake.. hurt like hell in both pain and pride...

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Everyone has a spill from time to time.Some turn out a little worse than others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ironbender,
"Castigated as a dumb chit" is what this forum is all about.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always get heat for saying so because someone always has one that will sit in your lap, but horses (and mules) are dangerous animals.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ppine
Ironbender,
"Castigated as a dumb chit" is what this forum is all about.

Seldom find it thataway. This is one of the better forums, IMO.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep, the horse & mule forum stays pretty civil. Can't see why it is included in the ATV,etc group. Looking at the rest of the 24 hour campfire, it seems most unique groups have their own niche. here.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/10/13.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think it comes down to the issue of substance, can we provide enough content to warrant a topic specific forum? If one were to eliminate the bashing of shared experiences I am not sure. The Campfire to me is a Forum unlike any other.

There are many topics related to keeping and using Horses and Mules that have yet to be discussed. That offers the potential if the content is supported to achieve the goal of a subject specific forum.

Last edited by woods_walker; 07/10/13.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dennis you have my sympathy... I am recovering from a mule learning experience also. Only it wasn't my eyes that were black..

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Yep, the horse & mule forum stays pretty civil. Can't see why it is included in the ATV,etc group. Looking at the rest of the 24 hour campfire, it seems most unique groups have their own niche. here.

Yes, a few who are obnoxious maroons elsewhere act a bit more like gentlemen here. I hope it stays that way.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Yes, a few who are obnoxious maroons elsewhere act a bit more like gentlemen here. I hope it stays that way.

Thank you. I do try. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
For what is worth. I visit this forum often and am fascinated by the wealth of knowledge and humor and I try to learn from each visit. Please keep the posts coming, and do not let a few malcontents kill a good thing.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
For what is worth. I visit this forum often and am fascinated by the wealth of knowledge and humor and I try to learn from each visit. Please keep the posts coming, and do not let a few malcontents kill a good thing.

AMEN! I've never had much to do with mules, only horses. Even then, I'm a rank beginner compared to some folks here.

Dennis, we used to have a horse who was "introverted" for a lack of a better term. He would go off into another world, all his own, to get away from things he didn't like, such as saddling, use of a bit, etc. When things settled down and the expected bad things didn't materialize, he would come out of his "happy place" all of a sudden and freak out and go totally right brain for about five seconds, then be back to normal.

You had to remember to watch for signs of when he was "going inside", then you could either wait for the inevitable five seconds of chaos, or get his attention by doing tasks that required him to think, then he would be fine.

My wife, being the consummate horse trainer, broke him of this behavior, but it took a while.

Dennis, I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt. That could have been a really bad wreck. It sure didn't improve your looks, though. laugh

As to "being castigated", if I screw up and open myself up for comment and/or critique, I can expect some criticism along with it. I just don't have to act like I'm in High School and get all pissy and reactive when the criticism appears.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
He would go off into another world

he would come out of his "happy place" all of a sudden and freak out and go totally right brain for about five seconds, then be back to normal

Ed

I for one would be interested to hear more about this analysis.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mules are honest. Learn to read their language. Anticipation is really important with long-ears. Otherwise it is easy to get behind and never catch up.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ppine, stop. There's a couple of ways to say nothing. The better, more desirable method of such being without words.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
He would go off into another world
he would come out of his "happy place" all of a sudden and freak out and go totally right brain for about five seconds, then be back to normal
Ed

I for one would be interested to hear more about this analysis.

You could watch his face and eyes. The expression on his face would change and his eyes would kinda "glass over". He wouldn't blink for a bit, then blink very little. No chewing on the bit when you put it in his mouth other than to settle it in place, and he would be stiff in his movements during and after saddling, as if he had to "think" about what was being asked, not responding as if he had been trained. His head wouldn't be all the way down as when he was totally relaxed, but not up in as an alert or concerned position.

In a few minutes, when nothing bad would happen, no yanking on a bit or anything about the saddle rubbing the wrong way, or other issues, he would snap out of this almost catatonic state, back into reality. If you weren't on him, his head would jerk up as if you'd goosed him, his eyes would go wide, and his breathing got rapid, while he looked around for a Tyrannosaurus Rex that was about to eat him. If you WERE on him, his head would come up and he would bolt in any direction, trying to get away from the T. Rex that was on his back.

So, we learned to watch for the early symptoms and when we saw them, we would give him a job to do while tacking up. That made him think about his surroundings and exactly what was happening to him and he never went into his "happy place". Eventually, he stopped going there when we tacked him up and haven't seen that behavior in him at all in quite a while.

It is all really subtle, but when you get to know your horses, you can pretty well read them.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I always get heat for saying so because someone always has one that will sit in your lap, but horses (and mules) are dangerous animals.

Amen to that.

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Like Donnie Gay (and others) say about bull riding, it's not if, it's when and how bad.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
but horses (and mules) are dangerous animals.

This is very true but I will take my chances on a horse in the woods or back country over a motorcycle on the highway any day of the week. Motorist are dangerous too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pat85
but horses (and mules) are dangerous animals.

This is very true but I will take my chances on a horse in the woods or back country over a motorcycle on the highway any day of the week. Motorist are dangerous too.

Me too, thats just forse of habit. It's really meant for those that have to feed em from their hand, kiss them, and all the silly stuff that comes along from people not knowing they're setting themselves up for a bad experience.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, AKislander, 6 invisible), 1,426 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,589
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.