Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a brick of both coming my way and curious as to the accuracy and suitability of both for squirrel hunting.
I have never shot either of these,I have shot the Remington sub and in my opinion it is crap as I had over 10 FTF out of 50 shots!

Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have shot the Remington sub and in my opinion it is crap as I had over 10 FTF out of 50 shots!"

Don't know if you shoot a suppressor but something like 10% of the Rem. sub's I tried went supersonic.

I've got both the CCI Sub and the Win. Sub's... have not shot them sideXside but both are accurate, it will depend mostly on which meshes best with your gun and possibly the lot. The CCI Sub is tight to chamber in my CZ, the Winchester Sub's while not match ammunition are quite accurate in most of my rifles and i've read of quite a few others that have had the same experience. Don't hunt tree squirrels but both do a number on our 'California' ground squirrels (which are possibly smaller). I consider 5/8 inch or under at 50 yards to be accurate.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks,I appreciate it.

Craig

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The CCI subsonic is the best in my rifles. The Win Subsonic is very good also just not as accurate as the CCI for me and my rifles.

Good Shooting,

George
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've heard that the CCI's were the best. I've been using Rem Subsonics and they do OK. At least mine all go bang... smile

So far, that is... shocked

50' target. OK, not the best.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/03/13.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
the cci hp subs are great in my 10/22 but like jerry said they are hard to chamber in my cz which meand that upon closing the bolt i am engaging the rifling which should make it more accurate but i've noticed just the opposite. the win hp subs are my go to hunting ammo and i've actually shot a 1/4" 5 shot 50 yrd group with it once or twice. i usually get a flier out of a 5 shot group but i guess a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. if you are looking for accuracy in a sub hp try sk jagd made by lapua or maybe eley hp sub sonic. both shoot great outta my cz's and they hit hard too.
good luck,
whitearrow

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I will be shooting them out of 2 different Ruger 10-22 rifles ,one of them a stock carbine just picked up at a Wally world in Ms,the other a Ruger I have had for a while that I just put an AGP takedown kit and folding stock on.
Craig

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
My Rem 541-s loves the Rem SS HP. I've used it for head shots on squirrels ever since it came out. On a calm day it'll routinely go into 1 1/8" or less at 100 yds, usually in an inch.

Personally, I haven't experienced any of the problems with misfires, etc. that lots of folks complain about with Remington rimfire ammo. Not saying it doesn't happen, it's just that I haven't seen it.

The CCI's are hard to chamber in my 541-s due to the driving band being pretty far forward but they shoot almost as well as the Rem's.

Haven't been able to get hold of the Win's to try yet.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never shot the Winchester subs. CCI SV and subs shoot around 3/4" in 10/22 at 50 yards for 5 shots. Only thing I've shot that does better is W-W Power Point ammo.

At closer range I've never been able to hit chitt with them but they do OK on hogs. Mostly that's because I can't see chitt in the woods.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don't know about you guys, but here in Louisiana, those would be hanging by a wire in front of a fire, Cochon de Lait style.

They're a bit big to fit whole in a "Coonass Microwave", a plywood box with a metal tray top. Coals are placed in the tray and radiant heat cooks the pig in the box. This size pig would need to be cut up.

Good eating, for sure.

Laissez les bon ton roulet.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to use Eley subsonics exclusively and was very pleased with the accuracy out of my old CZ.

I then switched to a CZ 452 and I find many of the Eley's are very difficult to chamber/close the bolt on..Tried Winchester X subs, along with a couple of other brands, and they all chamber fine, with the Winchesters running to about 3/4" at 50m..

Went out this evening for a couple of hours to deal with some "garden raiding" bunnies..

This was the first time I had used the .22lr in a while and I had forgotten just how good it was..I took 16 rabbits at ranges between 20m and 70m in a couple of hours, with only a couple of misses which were down to me..

Last edited by Pete E; 07/06/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Don't know about you guys, but here in Louisiana, those would be hanging by a wire in front of a fire, Cochon de Lait style.

They're a bit big to fit whole in a "Coonass Microwave", a plywood box with a metal tray top. Coals are placed in the tray and radiant heat cooks the pig in the box. This size pig would need to be cut up.

Good eating, for sure.

Laissez les bon ton roulet.

DF

Oh, I see. You want them this size?

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've used the Winchester Subsonic for squirrel hunting in a bolt action 22 & have been very pleased with them FWIW. They are more accurate than I am and have excellent terminal effect.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Dang Pete, thats a lot of fkn rabbits. How large is the "garden"?

Around here I rarely see rabbits since the coyotes moved in about 15 years ago.

Last edited by websterparish47; 07/06/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Dang Pete, thats a lot of fkn rabbits. How large is the "garden"?

Around here I rarely see rabbits since the coyotes moved in about 15 years ago.

The garden is only quite small, but its the lawn at the back of a farm house, and I was shooting on a couple of small paddocks that are adjacent to it..

To be honest, thats a fairly modest haul by our standards..There are places where its quite possible to shoot 50 rabbits in the course of a night, and breaking 100 is not uncommon..

Usually such bags are taken by a small team from the back of a 4x4 using a lamp at night..

Apart from the red fox and a couple of species of hawks, rabbits over here have few natural preditors, so it doesn't take long for their numbers to build up..

Edited to add, did I say I *really* like the CZ? The thumbhole stock fits me like a glove and is a joy to use..

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 07/07/13.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I get excellent results with both the CCI and Remington Sub Sonics. As mentioned the CCI's engage the lands on my rifles a Ruger 77/22 and a Kimber. Was able to pick up several bricks of Winchester Sub Sonics recently and hope they shoot just as well.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
woods walker i think you will really come to like the win hp ss loads. they have a freakin huge hollow point that expands beautifully with a resounding thump when it connects with flesh. they are my go to .22lr ammo.
whitearrow

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George Foster
The CCI subsonic is the best in my rifles. The Win Subsonic is very good also just not as accurate as the CCI for me and my rifles.

This has been my experience as well, in an Anschutz, 10/22 and a Buckmark pistol.
The Winchester has an amazing hollowpoint though! I've not had stopping power complaints on any of them, it's just that the CCI is a tiny bit more accurate for me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My experience as well. I have a 23" match barreled Contender Carbine that is a consistent 1/2" shooter at 50yds and 1 1/4" @ 100yds with the CCI. The Winchester SS is good for 3/4" @ 50yds and 2" @ 100yds.
My other .22lr rifles are equally fond of the CCI's.
I won't use the Remingtons. They just are not accurate in any of my rifles.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

444 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,472,005
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.