Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Seems like yesterday it was 6 1/2 mos. til next squirrel season. Don't know where the last 6 mos. have gone, but Indiana squirrel season opens Aug. 15. Man I can't wait! Picked up several more woods to hunt this coming year. Gonna try for 2-3 more. The next 30 days will go fast enough. I gotta get through my son's wedding, and Mama's birthday, and a family reunion..... grin Need to do one last scope check on my .22s, as soon as it cools down a bit. The oaks and hickories are full of nuts. We've had enough rain though to make the skeeters problematic... I'm down to one container of limb chicken chowder, and I'm gonna eat it the nite before I go hunting. Good luck to all you nimrods this season! grin

maddog

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Squirrel season doesn't open here until October, I am frothing at the mouth in anticipation. Part of the problem is I have a new, for me, Marlin 39A I have been shooting every afternoon in the back 40. I can keep 10 shots on a golf ball at 50 yds with it and I am pumped.

Good luck to all of you and may all your shots be true.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ours opened May 25th but either turkeys, crappie, walleye, or hot weather have prevented me from going. I'll get out as soon as they start cutting hickory nuts. I've got a new Lilja 17MachII barrel for the CZ but the '78 39A will get the nod for such early season endeavours.......

The MachII will not fill the stringer until after deer season when the leaves are gone.........Come on fall!!!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I see both you boys have a Marlin 39a, me too. I bought it new in 1974. The ole girl doesn't see as much action, today as in the past, because I got a new girlfriend.....H&R Sportster .22 single shot. I love huntin' them chickens with the little SS. grin

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Here's a coupla pics, just to get things started....

[Linked Image]

My ole 39a, and a coupla squirrels from last season.

[Linked Image]

My new girlfriend, with some chowder ingredients. grin

[Linked Image]

My girlfriend with her new makeup on for the upcoming season.

maddog

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ours doesn't start till Oct and we ate our last that we had in the freezer.
These "yard skwerls" are looking mighty good right now.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Maddog, what kind of carry strap is that hanging from the hind legs of those two critters? I think you have given me an idea for a little summertime project.

Thanks

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Used to make my "carry strap" out of a piece of tree limb (read:stick). About a quarter inch round and about half inch longer than my back pants pocket was wide. Sharpen both ends.
Run knife through squirrels back foot, push stick through hole.
Insert stick at a downward angle into back pocket until both ends are inside then twist until both ends of stick are wedged in edge of pocket. It will stay put until you pull it out for next squirrel. Usually got four squirrels to the stick.

Used that method for many years until Game and Fish made "open carry" of game illegal.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
This sounds like fun.. Haven't shot tree squirrels for 40 years.. Enjoy!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You suck....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Open carry" of game is illegal? WTH! Unless it's for safety reasons. But I'd hate to have to conceal a deer when I'm dragging it in...

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
LOTB, it's a section off a metal fish stringer, attached to a wooden handle. Here's a better pic. It's awesome for carrying squirrels in the early season, when it's too hot for a vest. A guy in southern Indiana sent one to me. I was so impressed, I made one for my son. The wooden handle is a painted piece of dowel rod.

[Linked Image]

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 07/16/13.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
You suck....

Hey Tom, you gonna start that same ole refrain this early??

grin grin

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I guess I shouldnt be so hard on you...I still have some squirrels in the freezer.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Maddog: What a neat idea. I'm gonna make mine out of some deer antler I have laying around doing nothing useful. I also have an old fish stringer I can rob the clips off. I might even make some as Christmas presents for some "buds" of mine.

Thanks again.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by selmer
"Open carry" of game is illegal? WTH! Unless it's for safety reasons. But I'd hate to have to conceal a deer when I'm dragging it in...

Yeah, safety thing. Somebody got shot in the a$$. Applied to small game only.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
LOTB, here's another "gadget" I use during the season. It's a homemade walking/shooting stick. I have feet issues and it helps me walk. During the early season, when the leaves are on the trees, it doubles as a shooting stick when it's hard to find a tree to lean against AND see the squirrel! grin

[Linked Image]

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I definitely plan on getting off my arse and after them this year! With all this moisture here in IN, we should have a good mast crop. Lots of miles will be put on the truck this fall chasing these things as I have no places to go within an hour of home...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That by gosh!!maddog.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, just got back from Indianapolis, got the boy married off this weekend. Get through Mama's birthday next weekend, then it's good-to-go limb chicken season! grin 25 1/2 days and counting....grin

maddog

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,778
Posts18,477,065
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.